Author Topic: Movie Star to attend Marine Corps Ball  (Read 9262 times)

HorseFreak

Re: Movie Star to attend Marine Corps Ball
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 08:41:15 PM »
I don't see what's charming about it at all and I hate the idea that people seem to think she owes him this date.

I also dislike the fact that she's interrupted multiple times, some where it's pretty clear she's about to say things like "if I'm not busy" etc. Also she seems not too keen when she's told she's going alone.

All in all this really grates on me, especially as people are now talking bad of her because she might not do it after all. She doesn't owe him anything, she was put on the spot (which in and of itself is rude, IMO) and now she's stuck either going on a date with a completely stranger, which she was pretty much forced into, or to look like the big bad person who doesn't wanna "honour a service man" and whatever else people are saying.

I hate this and I feel bad for her.  :-\

I don't like this new trend of having to do everything someone in the military/veteran wants and give them your first born child in addition or "OH NOES you're a terrible person!" and get slaughtered in the media. If she wants to go on a date with a stranger, and he is a stranger, enlisted or not, that's up to her. She can't win- either someone else determines who she dates or she's vilified. Poor woman.

oogyda

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 07:30:01 AM »
I think JT should find a nice, easy-going, female marine to ask to the ball.   ;D
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 08:23:27 AM »
I think JT should find a nice, easy-going, female marine to ask to the ball.   ;D

According to my morning paper, one has already asked him by video, and both he and Mila are going.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

NestHolder

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »
I don't see what's charming about it at all and I hate the idea that people seem to think she owes him this date.

I also dislike the fact that she's interrupted multiple times, some where it's pretty clear she's about to say things like "if I'm not busy" etc. Also she seems not too keen when she's told she's going alone.

All in all this really grates on me, especially as people are now talking bad of her because she might not do it after all. She doesn't owe him anything, she was put on the spot (which in and of itself is rude, IMO) and now she's stuck either going on a date with a completely stranger, which she was pretty much forced into, or to look like the big bad person who doesn't wanna "honour a service man" and whatever else people are saying.

I don't like this new trend of having to do everything someone in the military/veteran wants and give them your first born child in addition or "OH NOES you're a terrible person!" and get slaughtered in the media. If she wants to go on a date with a stranger, and he is a stranger, enlisted or not, that's up to her. She can't win- either someone else determines who she dates or she's vilified. Poor woman.

I agree.  If this had been something private - the Marine had written to her, for example - she'd have had the opportunity to accept or decline without fuss.  I imagine the usual response from celebrities is to decline politely and send an autographed photo.  I certainly wouldn't want to spend an entire evening with a complete stranger - particularly not a complete stranger for whom I would be a *trophy*.  For the man to make his invitation public was... well, not a polite move.  (Although if he lost a bet, or was dared to do it, it's at least understandable.  Thanks for making a lady you don't know the subject of your bet, guys.)

That Justin Timberlake intervened doesn't particularly surprise me.  It can't have occurred to him that his co-star ought to be able to make her own decision, but he doesn't score very well on Feminism101.

I'm glad he's now received his own invitation-by-YouTube, but sadly, he won't be in the same position that Mila Kunis will be in, given the difference in the way men and women are generally treated.  And he did, to a great extent, bring it on himself, whereas all she did was *exist*.  Happily, I think the female Marine who invited JT is on the martial arts instruction team, so she should have no trouble keeping him in line!

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »

According to my morning paper, one has already asked him by video, and both he and Mila are going.

Yes, they are both going.  Also, Betty White has been asked to attend.

I think it's fantastic!  No rudeness here at all, imo.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

ghost

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
Women (and people in general), are not objects to be acquired.

I come from a military family. My SO is military (and a veteran). I, for one, am very disappointed to see this sort of boorish behavior from a serviceman.

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 02:50:52 AM »

I come from a military family. My SO is military (and a veteran). I, for one, am very disappointed to see this sort of boorish behavior from a serviceman.

I don't think it's that boorish, hehe.

And did you see that Laura Hamilton asked the marine who asked Bettie White :P ? Soon enough Hollywood will be all there haha XD
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »

I completely agree.  Someone may have meant well originally, but doing this in such a public manner basically forces her to accept.  Not fair at all.

Ligeia

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »

I completely agree.  Someone may have meant well originally, but doing this in such a public manner basically forces her to accept.  Not fair at all.

I agree as well.  Hasn't yet another celebrity been asked to attend this ball now?  (I can't remember who, but someone besides Betty White.)  It's kind of getting out of hand.  With all the media attention, there is simply no way these people can turn down these dates without being seen as haughty or "anti-American!" or something.  It may have started innocently enough, but now it strikes me as increasingly weird and vaguely unsettling.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »

I agree as well.  Hasn't yet another celebrity been asked to attend this ball now?  (I can't remember who, but someone besides Betty White.)  It's kind of getting out of hand.  With all the media attention, there is simply no way these people can turn down these dates without being seen as haughty or "anti-American!" or something.  It may have started innocently enough, but now it strikes me as increasingly weird and vaguely unsettling.

Scarlett Johanssen was asked and she declined, with grace and kindness, so it most certainly can be done.

I still think it's wonderful and have no problem with it at all.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »

My understanding, however, after seeing and reading numerous interviews with her about this is that she is really genuinely thrilled to attend.

I'm sure stars get asked to attend a lot of events all the time and have no problem saying no. I think the reason this story caught on was because she did accept.

shyviolet3

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »
It's nice that she agreed to go, but I find this new trend sort of troubling.  Celebrities are being cornered by complete strangers  to go with them to an event. If for whatever reason they decline the invitation they are labeled as unpatriotic. I mean military or not  I would be reluctant to attend an event with a total stranger.

sugar pie

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
I don't think the original Marine should have ever asked. Is it nice that Kunis and other celebs are agreeing to go? Sure, but that doesn't make the original invitation ok. It's extremely coercive and I'm a little surprised the Marine Corps is letting it go on like this.

ETA: Oh, I just wanted to say that I think this is probably the only place on the internet where I could say that or anything else perceived as slightly critical of the military without getting blasted as "callous" or "unpatriotic." I love you guys.  :-*  :-*
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:28:44 PM by madhatter »

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »

Really? This sort of thing doesn't surprise me AT ALL! And I mean that in a good/light-hearted way. Soldiers do some of the stupidest, most asinine stuff just, well, because they can. And b/c they're probably bored. Even in Afganistan  :) So the fact that this type of bet occurred, doesn't surprise me in the least.

Seriously, some of the stuff DH tells me that they do to keep themselves entertained never ceases to amaze me. And DH is only signal. Infantry guys are even worse, and yet they have all the good stories.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:46:39 AM by megswsu »

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 09:38:36 AM »
EH, its better than the ketchup/butter/syrup/rip it (high octane energy drink) chugging contests I have seen. I think I'd prefer to be the dude that got SJ's reply... case of champagne for the win!
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-