Author Topic: Movie Star to attend Marine Corps Ball  (Read 8818 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: Movie Star to attend Marine Corps Ball
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 10:24:09 AM »
All I want to know is how to guilt Gerard Butler or Gale Harold into a date with me. Curse my non-military status!  >:D ;D
The status is not quo!

blahblahblah

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 01:45:10 PM »
It's nice that she agreed to go, but I find this new trend sort of troubling.  Celebrities are being cornered by complete strangers  to go with them to an event. If for whatever reason they decline the invitation they are labeled as unpatriotic. I mean military or not  I would be reluctant to attend an event with a total stranger.
I agree. This is from the guy who asked Scarlett:

"If I was told she could not attend, I would understand. I would not believe the invitation would be denied without good cause.

What?! The implied entitlement, it's boggling. Scarlett doesn't need a good cause to decline going to the ball! Who does he think he is? This sort of thing is making me hope that a celebrity will just say, "No, I don't have anything happening that day, I just don't want to go." (Or something along those lines. "Sorry, but I have to wash my hair that day.")

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 02:51:27 PM »
It's nice that she agreed to go, but I find this new trend sort of troubling.  Celebrities are being cornered by complete strangers  to go with them to an event. If for whatever reason they decline the invitation they are labeled as unpatriotic. I mean military or not  I would be reluctant to attend an event with a total stranger.
I agree. This is from the guy who asked Scarlett:

"If I was told she could not attend, I would understand. I would not believe the invitation would be denied without good cause.

What?! The implied entitlement, it's boggling. Scarlett doesn't need a good cause to decline going to the ball! Who does he think he is? This sort of thing is making me hope that a celebrity will just say, "No, I don't have anything happening that day, I just don't want to go." (Or something along those lines. "Sorry, but I have to wash my hair that day.")

I think you are reading way too much into that response.  You have no idea what he would have considered "good cause".  For all we know, it could have been that she was washing her hair.

I don't read any "mind boggling" entitlement at all.  I also don't think it's a response that in any way would excuse the rudeness that you hope some celebrity would impart if they were asked to go to the Ball. 

Scarlett Johanssen proved with the incredible grace and kindness of her responce, that any star could decline the invitation and not be looked on poorly for it.  It wasn't even about the generous gift she sent, it was the simple and kind words she used in her response. 

I have just as much esteem for her as I do Mila Kunis & Justin Timberlake.  They have all made their own decisions on the matter, all with class, and none have come out looking poorly for it. 
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 02:57:44 PM »
I'm reading it the same way as blahblahblah, and I think the guy comes off extremely rude and entitled.  I'm not a Scarlett Johansson fan at all, but she's now won me over a little for declining (and doing it gracefully).

blahblahblah

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
I also don't think it's a response that in any way would excuse the rudeness that you hope some celebrity would impart if they were asked to go to the Ball. 
Why would being honest about not wanting to go to the ball with a stranger be rude? People shouldn't feel the need to make up excuses for not saying yes. If someone says, "I just don't want to go," that's not being rude. (And I wasn't being entirely serious with the "I have to wash my hair" comment. I'm just recalling all those sitcoms that make a joke out of this sort of situation. Anybody else remember Boy Meets World? ;D)

And I guess we all have our own interpretations of his words, but IMO I really don't think that he would accept "I just don't want to" as "good cause."

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 03:02:41 PM »
I'm reading it the same way as blahblahblah, and I think the guy comes off extremely rude and entitled.  I'm not a Scarlett Johansson fan at all, but she's now won me over a little for declining (and doing it gracefully).

What is "extremely" rude about his response?  Please explain because I think extreme rudeness really stands out, it's obvious and egregious, it usually overly offensive and hurtful.  Where is that in what he said?
Winston Churchill

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »
I also don't think it's a response that in any way would excuse the rudeness that you hope some celebrity would impart if they were asked to go to the Ball. 
Why would being honest about not wanting to go to the ball with a stranger be rude? People shouldn't feel the need to make up excuses for not saying yes. If someone says, "I just don't want to go," that's not being rude. (And I wasn't being entirely serious with the "I have to wash my hair" comment. I'm just recalling all those sitcoms that make a joke out of this sort of situation. Anybody else remember Boy Meets World? ;D)

And I guess we all have our own interpretations of his words, but IMO I really don't think that he would accept "I just don't want to" as "good cause."

Can you provide the link to where you found that comment?  I want to read the article for context.
Winston Churchill

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »

Saying "I don't want to go" is not rude.  Saying "I have to wash my hair" in response to a polite and public invitation, would be rude, classless and mean.  Why would that be necessary?  And, if you deem the public invitation to be rude overall, wouldn't that kind of response just be rudeness in response to rudeness? 

Winston Churchill

blahblahblah

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
Scuba_Dog, the quote comes from here, although it looks like he originally said it to Zap2It (which I don't have the link for, sorry!):

He told Zap2It before learning of Johansson's reply, "If I was told she could not attend, I would understand. I would not believe the invitation would be denied without good cause. With her current career I would imagine Scarlett Johansson is a busy woman."

The full quote here actually reinforces my impression that he wouldn't take "I don't want to" as a good reason.

Saying "I have to wash my hair" in response to a polite and public invitation, would be rude, classless and mean.  Why would that be necessary?  And, if you deem the public invitation to be rude overall, wouldn't that kind of response just be rudeness in response to rudeness? 
Well, like I said, I wasn't actually being serious about that, although admittedly I should have clarified as much in the beginning.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:13:29 PM by blahblahblah »

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 03:20:04 PM »
Scuba_Dog, the quote comes from here, although it looks like he originally said it to Zap2It (which I don't have the link for, sorry!):

He told Zap2It before learning of Johansson's reply, "If I was told she could not attend, I would understand. I would not believe the invitation would be denied without good cause. With her current career I would imagine Scarlett Johansson is a busy woman."

The full quote here actually reinforces my impression that he wouldn't take "I don't want to" as a good reason.

I guess we are reading it differently because the rest of it just solidifies for me that there is absolutely nothing even remotely close to rudeness in that reply, let alone "extreme" rudeness or entitlement.

It sounds to me like the reply of a person who probably doesn't have someone preparing him for the question ahead of time, and writing out a perfect response for him, so that no one could possibly be offended.  It's off the cuff, and I take it at face value.  It sounds like he's saying that he would understand if she couldn't come because she's a busy woman.  Kind of like he gets it that it's a little crazy that he even asked her to begin with and he's buffering himself for the inevitable reply.

Winston Churchill

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »
I found it on Zap2it, and it would be nice to read the whole response (it was an email) but they haven't put the whole thing up either.

"Although he hasn't yet received a response from ScarJo, Williams tells Zap2it that if she accepts the invite it would, "truly be an honor not only for me but also my fellow Marines ... Not only does it show their support for our troops, but it also [boosts] the morale of Marines as a whole."

But, adds Williams, he'll understand if she can't make it.

"I would not believe the invitation would be denied without good cause," writes Williams in an e-mail. "With her current career I would imagine Scarlett Johansson is a busy woman ... Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

I don't think he sounds entitled at all.  He gave it a shot, she said no.  No one was rude in the situation.
Winston Churchill

Surianne

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 03:33:12 PM »

What is "extremely" rude about his response?  Please explain because I think extreme rudeness really stands out, it's obvious and egregious, it usually overly offensive and hurtful.  Where is that in what he said?

Sure: I think it's extremely rude because he's acting as if her attending with him is the default, like she's required to unless she has a very good reason.  If a friend called me up and said "I'm having a party on Friday, would you like to come?  No worries if you say no, I know you'd only decline if you had a very good reason" implies that declining simply because I don't want to isn't acceptable. 

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »

Sure: I think it's extremely rude because he's acting as if her attending with him is the default, like she's required to unless she has a very good reason.  If a friend called me up and said "I'm having a party on Friday, would you like to come?  No worries if you say no, I know you'd only decline if you had a very good reason" implies that declining simply because I don't want to isn't acceptable. 

Lol...  Yeah, we are reading his response WAY differently.   No harm, no foul.  We can't always agree.
Winston Churchill

Surianne

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
 ;D  It's funny how much your own experience can influence how two people read the same statement, eh? 

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
;D  It's funny how much your own experience can influence how two people read the same statement, eh? 

Indeed.
Winston Churchill