Author Topic: Returning to Hawaii Update - reply 14  (Read 2346 times)

Faerydust

Re: Returning to Hawaii Update - reply 14
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 10:08:32 PM »
I'm glad you had a great time! :) I love the turtle pictures.

I live on Maui and was born and raised here. I'm not a fan of lau lau or poi, but I love kalua pig and haupia!

Just wanted to add that spam sushi is called spam musubi in Hawaii. If you called it a spam sushi in Hawaii, it would instantly give you away as a tourist. It's not usually served in restaurants (though it is in a few and one place makes a battered and deep fried version!!), it's more of a quick gas-station/convenience food.

Spam is also a common ingredient in fried rice here. You can even have your loco moco served on fried rice. Very tasty!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »
Haupia! My new favourite dessert is sweet potato haupia. That was amazing.

Maui is gorgeous; you are so lucky.

BTW, Place of Refuge is Pu'uhonua O Honaunau. I learned that this trip. We saw more turtles. And I got an awesome honu tattoo.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Faerydust

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 12:09:53 AM »
Maui is beautiful, but I've lived on this rock for 28 years and I'm itching to experience living somewhere else. When I finish school, I plan to move. It's very costly to live here and frustrating to have such a limited selection of shops/merchandise and then have many online merchants refuse to ship to HI or charge much, much more.  :( Price of living in paradise, as they say...

It's so awesome that they have so many sea turtles on the Big Island. You don't see them so much on Maui beaches. I've seen them in the ocean a few times when I used to paddle and surf.

My best friend's mother is an artist and does the most beautiful oil paintings of sea turtles along with other ocean scenery. :D