Author Topic: Australians driving in Toronto and Washington State  (Read 3760 times)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Re: Australians driving in Toronto and Washington State
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 12:13:06 PM »
In Ontario, a left turn arrow may be accompanied by a regular green light. If it isn't, only cars turning left (or right), may go. If it is blinking to indicate an advanced green, instead of having the arrow, you can also go straight through the intersection.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Craftyone

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 06:28:42 PM »
Thank you all for your advice. I told my husband about the red arrow turning, good thing he's driving first hehehe.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 04:09:42 PM »
I'm a Queenslander about to start driving in Ontario, so I'll give you a quick rundown of the rules that confused me.

Right on red: unless there is a sign saying not to and there's no oncoming traffic, you can run a red light to turn right.

In Washington, you must stop at the red light, but then you may turn right while the light is still red if there is no oncoming traffic.  Treat it as a stop sign, come to a complete stop, then make your right on red.

And watch for pedestrians crossing!  They have the right of way in crosswalks and at unmarked intersections.

Also, Canada speed is in kilometers, US speed is in miles.  Remeber to switch gears when crossing the border :)
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Craftyone

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 06:57:41 AM »
Thank you everyone for your advice.  Only a week to go until I go on holidays and a week and 1 day (and some hours) before we fly out.. but who's counting  ;D

Tigger

• Always having fun
  • Life is hard. After all, it kills you - K Hepburn
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 07:32:17 AM »
Craftyone, where near Hamilton?  I'm just curious as I live near Hamilton as well. 

Ontario

Craftyone

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 08:37:25 AM »
We're staying with friends in Ancaster  :)

Tigger

• Always having fun
  • Life is hard. After all, it kills you - K Hepburn
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »
Have fun!!  That's about 20 minutes from our house.

Ontario

strangetimes

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 07:47:26 PM »
If you're driving straight to Hamilton from the airport, you're not really going to hit Toronto traffic and Hamilton itself is pretty low-key.

For driving in Toronto- always signal, it's polite.

Many walk signs (for pedestrians) now have a countdown to when the light changes. I actually found those enormously helpful, because it gave me a much better idea of how long the light would be green for.

The speed limit is 50 km/hr. on city streets unless otherwise posted. The speed limit on highways is 100 km/hr. unless otherwise posted. (but for safety purposes, you should go with the flow of traffic)

GPS is great, but it's a good idea to have someone to contact just in case there's construction that alters the route. Or you might end up getting lost on the way to your grandmother's funeral. true story. (and it happened in Hamilton)

Oh yeah- there are two seasons in Toronto (and I assume the rest of Southern Ontario as well) Winter and Construction. Good luck!

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »
Oh yeah- there are two seasons in Toronto (and I assume the rest of Southern Ontario as well) Winter and Construction. Good luck!

Now now, that's not fair! We also have an absolutely glorious fall season, and that wet season that smells like dead worms  ;)

strangetimes

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »

Now now, that's not fair! We also have an absolutely glorious fall season, and that wet season that smells like dead worms  ;)

Yeah, tell that to my husband! He's from LA and first visited Toronto when we got engaged. It was April and it snowed. He couldn't stop talking about snow! in April!

Craftyone

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 05:59:58 AM »
Thanks everyone for all your advice.  We take off tonight, transit through Hong Kong airport to Vancouver. 

The funny thing is I've gone to get in the car on the (what's for us) passenger side a few times recently when I've been the driver so my brain must be getting me prepared : )

I'll post when we get back as to how we went. 

xxx

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »
I answered "I don't know, but it's NOT an advanced Green!"

Isn't that what the orange light is for? Red is stop, green is go, and orange means "I'm changing to red in 7 seconds, so slow down and prepare to stop."

Or did the rules change and I not get the memo?

Advance green means you can turn left because the oncoming traffic still has a red light. That's not what the yellow light means.

In BC blinking green doesn't mean "This light will turn red in a few seconds", it means "this light doesn't turn red regularly, but it could turn red at any time (By which I mean it will turn yellow and then red). It's usually used at lights that only turn red if someone pushes the pedestrian crossing button, or outside the fire station, where they control the light. I still think it's dumb. I assume every light could change, I don't need it blinking at me to remind me!

I only just saw this thread, but I agree completely.  I too don't really understand the blinking-green bit, although another traffic light like this just got installed near my neighbourhood last year.  I actually think it could be counterproductive - people get used to the light "always" being green so they don't really look - whereas driver know that a "regular" green light could turn amber after a few seconds.

Craftyone

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 07:18:30 AM »
We're back and the driving went well.  It was easy, though I made my husband drive the first leg of each trip (Toronto and Washington State)  :)  Most uncomfortable part was changing lanes, especially on the freeways (highways?), it wasn't hard just didn't feel natural.

I've had to think more about which side of the road I'm supposed to be on (I drove to work today) and which side of the car to get into, when my husband drove last night to get groceries (we only got back on Monday night), than I did thinking about it overseas, very weird, but then my husband's father said he found the same thing.

I don't think I had to turn right on a red light but I'm glad I knew.

We ended up catching 10 planes (2 were float planes on a tour to Victoria from Vancouver), 2 trains and drove 2 cars.  Met fantastic people and caught up with dear friends.  Ate wonderful food, and only put on 2 kilos (yay, thought I'd put on a lot more).  Had such a great time but glad to be home again. 

onikenbai

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »
A blinking green light IS an advanced green of sorts and indicates that everybody going that direction can be on their way.  The arrows indicate that everybody turning in the direction of the arrow can get going while the traffic going any other way has to wait a bit.  The arrows have the advantage of allowing advance greens for turning traffic going both directions at the same time, while the blinking light doesn't.

The blinking signal units are an older variety and I do believe the units are gradually being replaced by the arrow units as I'm seeing them less and less these days.  With the insanity of Toronto traffic, there are very few places now that an advance green in only one direction is needed, so that may be why.