Author Topic: What do 11 year old girls like?  (Read 4246 times)

peach2play

What do 11 year old girls like?
« on: July 18, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »
My BFF's gets his daughter for 6 weeks this summer.  She is an amazing 11 year old and one of the few kids that I can spend time with.  She doesn't have any friends her age here (or at home for that matter) due to a number of reasons and she says I'm her best friend (I'm 31).  It makes me really sad, but there's not much I can do about that.  What I can do is spend as much time with her and be the best friend I can be, however, I don't know what 11 year old's are into these days.  She's very crafty and is very creative (I'm not so much but I'd be happy to try anything).  Any suggestions?  I thought about looking into a pottery class or maybe having her help me organize my scrap book stuff.  I don't want to just sit around and play video games because she does enough of that at her dad's house.  She is incredibly smart and is doing math on her summer vacation because she likes it.  Help!

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: What do 11 year old girls like?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »
Time with an attentive adult sharing experiences is the most fun. Visits to the museum can be fun with an enthusiastic person. Making dinner can be fun with an interested adult who takes the time to explain. Make-you-own kits can be a life saver here.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »
If she likes to read, I have some suggestions for books.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 12:43:37 PM »

11 year old boys.

Steve

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »
I believe little girls in the double digit like big girl stuff....  make up, girl movie night, slumber parties, henna tattoos, take her to the spa, or shopping, or cycling, rollerblading, to the hair dresser, making dinner is also a great suggestion from Bethalize.

peach2play

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
Ohhh henna tattoos!  That's a great idea!  Her dad and I both have extensive tattooing and I know she wants one later.  I'll call my artist!

Larrabee

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
I loved making my own jewellery when I was that age.

Maybe some sporty/active things too that she might not have tried.  Are there any centre near you that run summer taster programmes for kids?

As she's so bright, I second the museum idea, and maybe a project like creating a book or a game.

miredrose326

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 01:27:32 PM »

11 year old boys.

and 12 year old boys and if they have a 13 year old brother with cute friends they like those too.

My 11 year old daughter loves computer games, shopping, cooking, baking and the zoo.  At home, she loves artsy little kits. She also loves doing her hair and make-up. It's kind of an odd age because some are still very much into toys and others are very much into boys, make-up and clothes. They are at a great age to actually be able to tell you what they like to do.
My beautiful babies 

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »
I have an 11 year old girl.  She likes the aforementioned tattoos,mini spa days (at home) and jewlerly making.  She likes to (try to) cook and read

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »
How about miniature golf or laser tag ?

peach2play

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I tried for a day camp idea, but her dad is told her it's expensive so she doesn't want to do it (she's very frugal and I applaud that, but I also don't think the poor kid should be stuck going to work with her dad everyday).  I'll look into the jewelry kits and the such.  I'm really tired right now so I'm sure that's not helping lol.

Larrabee

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I tried for a day camp idea, but her dad is told her it's expensive so she doesn't want to do it (she's very frugal and I applaud that, but I also don't think the poor kid should be stuck going to work with her dad everyday).  I'll look into the jewelry kits and the such.  I'm really tired right now so I'm sure that's not helping lol.

A trip to a craft shop to pick out beads/charms etc. can be more fun than using a pre-made kit, and usually cheaper too!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
I also have an 11 year old daughter.  Her favorite things to do are sports, shopping, cooking/baking, playing board games, and pretty much everything else.  She is into EVERYTHING, and it is especially fun if an attentive adult is doing it along side her.  So what I'm saying is that she will enjoy and have fun doing whatever you come up with, as long as you're doing it with her.  :)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »
I have a 12 year old.  She likes beading, iron-on decals and patches, exploring the thrift shop for inexpensive but fashionable clothes, the dollar theatre, and those paint your own dishes places.  She loves spa days or half days-check for sales!

(She's also into that twinkly guy from Twilight, but he's emphatically not on the agenda ;)).

Now I feel like turning around this otherwise awful summer for my DD :).

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »
Are there any short-term dance/exercise classes in your area? That might be fun.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls