Author Topic: What happened to the Delete Account option?  (Read 6848 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
What happened to the Delete Account option?
« on: July 18, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »
I was looking to see if there was any update to the Ignore list and changing the colors on here when I noticed the option to Delete Account is gone.  Is this a glitch as well?

rosiecat

Re: What happened to the Delete Account option?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »
You're right Zilla - I thought I saw that option before too.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »
I think (If I remember correctly) that EhellDame used to have final say over whether accounts were deleted, and she didn't approve very many deletions. Perhaps she has now taken this option away entirely.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

O'Dell

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »
I think (If I remember correctly) that EhellDame used to have final say over whether accounts were deleted, and she didn't approve very many deletions. Perhaps she has now taken this option away entirely.

I think you are right...I had the same impression that it had to be approved and seldom was. It wasn't as automatic as the "delete account" option made it seem. I was surprised to see the option there when I was rooting around in the settings pre-update.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »
Wait, what do you mean you can't delete your own account?  If you left the forum, your account profile shows visible? 

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:25:55 AM »
Yes, your account would stay visible if it wasn't deleted.

However, even if the account is gone, your posts are still here. I've seen old posts made by people who are long gone now, and it just says 'guest' underneath their name, instead of a profile/membership link.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »
I don't understand what's wrong with the account staying up. Remove all non-required information, change the time zone, change your handle, etc. Your posts won't go away, so it won't be a help to you there.

I can see how a million deleted accounts might make for some extremely confusing threads if the posters are showing up as "guest" in all of them.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »
Oh I wasn't talking about the names on the threads themselves, I accept and know that they won't be deleted.

But I dislike the fact that the account itself remains open.  That can lead to hijacking the account etc.  I would have like to have known that deleting the account itself isn't an option when I registered with this site.  I have been able to delete my accounts on other forum boards. 

Is there a way to permanently close the account to prevent it from being reopened?

O'Dell

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 02:37:30 PM »
My understanding is that your account can be deleted. It's just not as easy as clicking through a few windows. EHell Dame and/or mods have to approve the deletion. I'm going on vague memories and can't remember the reasoning behind them doing it that way.

I hear you though. I'm fussy what info I put out there on the interwebs. Even on sites where I'm anonymous if I choose to be and where financial info isn't involved.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 03:28:29 PM »
My understanding is that your account can be deleted. It's just not as easy as clicking through a few windows. EHell Dame and/or mods have to approve the deletion. I'm going on vague memories and can't remember the reasoning behind them doing it that way.

I hear you though. I'm fussy what info I put out there on the interwebs. Even on sites where I'm anonymous if I choose to be and where financial info isn't involved.

I believe the reasoning is to keep trolls from being banned, deleting the account, and then just opening a new one.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »

I believe the reasoning is to keep trolls from being banned, deleting the account, and then just opening a new one.

From what I read on here, their IP addresses are banned so that wouldn't really matter.

Oh well.  Hopefully I won't ever have to delete my account!

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »
Oh I wasn't talking about the names on the threads themselves, I accept and know that they won't be deleted.

But I dislike the fact that the account itself remains open.  That can lead to hijacking the account etc.  I would have like to have known that deleting the account itself isn't an option when I registered with this site.  I have been able to delete my accounts on other forum boards. 

Is there a way to permanently close the account to prevent it from being reopened?

People who are gagged/banned still have an account, but can't use it. If you are worried about hijacking, I'm sure something similar could be done.

(Which sounds like I'm suggesting you get banned, LOL!!!! But I'm not sure how else to word it...)

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:44:58 AM »
There was a forum on which I wanted my account deleted, and, like here, there was no option to really do that myself. I asked, and was told that, like here, I had to ask the higher ups.

I wanted my account deleted because I was really, really tired with some people there (there were many occasions to meet them IRL) and I did not want to continue going.

I was given two options: all of my posts stay, but with the "Guest" name, OR deletion of everything. To avoid confusion because I was told my participation in certain threads was "interesting" , I accepted the "Guest" option.

I do, however, understand that someone who, for some reason, might be really, really ticked off, complete account deletion would be important.

For this reason, maybe there should be an option to archive someone's posts where regular posters cannot see, and then wipe the account and board so that people cannot find out. Or something. And then this should all be outlined so that we know what is done about it ?

Oops, sorry for the rambling.
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

LaciGirl007

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:41 PM »
I'm trying to delete my account as well.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 10:23:32 PM »
Don't let that last thread get to you.