Was Justin Bieber rude?

Yes
85 (55.6%)
No
57 (37.3%)
Other
11 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Author Topic: Justin Bieber crashes a wedding  (Read 8642 times)

MyFamily

Justin Bieber crashes a wedding
« on: July 19, 2011, 12:38:47 AM »
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/392225/justin-bieber-and-selena-gomez-crash-malibu-wedding/

Basically, it seems that Justin Beiber and his girlfriend, Selena Gomez, were driving around and heard one of his songs being sung at a wedding so they stopped and crashed the wedding for about 10 minutes.

Some of the comments say it was a nice thing to do, others say it was rude.

What says E-Hell?

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

MaggieB

Re: Justin Bieber crashes a wedding
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 12:56:55 AM »
I don't really know.  On one hand, I wouldn't really like it.  But I also wouldn't be blasting Justin Bieber music at my wedding.  Now if Tim McGraw wanted to crash my wedding, well my future husband just better hope it's after we'd already taken our vows.   ;) :P

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 01:19:52 AM »
Part of me wants to say it's rude, but if Prince were to crash my wedding - or any other wedding I was attending - I know I would be delighted. It seems churlish for me to make an exception for one artist and not another just because I am a Prince fanatic. I voted other.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:26:45 AM »
I actually think it's pretty cool. If it was the reception and no the ceremony and any artist that was playing at the reception wanted to stop by and say hello, I'd be thrilled.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 01:56:20 AM »
I don't think its rude.  He wasn't there to be a guest.  And it looked like he crashed the reception not the wedding.

If he wants to do this on a regular basis though, he should wear something more appropriate.  That T-shirt was really fugly.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:04:49 AM »
  I think playing and artist song or singing in karaoke (as in this case) it a singal their presence would be appreciated , at least for ten minutes and a few photos.

MaggieB

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:05:57 AM »
Part of me wants to say it's rude, but if Prince were to crash my wedding - or any other wedding I was attending - I know I would be delighted. It seems churlish for me to make an exception for one artist and not another just because I am a Prince fanatic. I voted other.

Yeah, I agree with this.  Justin Bieber had reason to believe a brief appearance would be welcome (they were playing his song) and he only stayed ten minutes.  He meant to do a nice thing, and I think most people would think it's cool.

PeterM

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 02:13:07 AM »
My wife and I were just discussing this and we came up with a list of celebrities who are always allowed to crash a wedding.

Bill Murray, 'cause he's guaranteed to make it a good time for all.

Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn, 'cause it was in the fine print of their "Wedding Crashers" contracts.

Barry Manilow, 'cause he writes the songs.

The Dalai Lama, but only at golf-related weddings. Big hitter, the Lama.

Elvis, 'cause hail to the King.

And, of course, any member of a mariachi band.

TaylorMade

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 02:49:13 AM »
My wife and I were just discussing this and we came up with a list of celebrities who are always allowed to crash a wedding.

Bill Murray, 'cause he's guaranteed to make it a good time for all.

Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn, 'cause it was in the fine print of their "Wedding Crashers" contracts.

Barry Manilow, 'cause he writes the songs.

The Dalai Lama, but only at golf-related weddings. Big hitter, the Lama.

Elvis, 'cause hail to the King.

And, of course, any member of a mariachi band.

Love you list Peter!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:14:03 AM »
Honestly, there are plenty of musicians whose music I love but whose persona might be disruptive at best, and very possibly unpleasant.  Maybe a tween guest at the wedding asked to hear a JB song - doesn't mean the HC want him at the wedding, even for 10 minutes.  If I was getting married I don't know that I'd think to put him on the forbidden list wiht the DJ but I wouldn't want him dropping in.

MyFamily

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »
I agree with everyone else, but I also feel it is kinda rude - afterall, just because someone likes a song or even a singer's music, that doesn't mean they like the singer.  I can think of some famous people who I may enjoy the work they do, based on what I know about them personally I don't like them.  So, I'm not sure that it is obvious that just because they were playing his song they would obviously want him to be at their wedding.

Also, while I don't believe the wedding day is all about the HC, this does feel like he took the focus off the purpose of the reception and put it on himself.

But, it does appear from the article that the HC was happy about this and if his dropping by helped make their wedding reception more special for them, than that is great.  And the reasons for while it could be rude are what I feel, I don't feel strongly that this is a problem - they feel more like 'what if's' then legitimate reasons why it could be rude.

So, that is why I posted the story here.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Reuth

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 08:34:25 AM »
I vote that he was rude. I'm glad that it turned out well in this case, but there was no guarantee. I'm sure there were many songs played at my reception that I didn't even know who the singer was, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted them to turn up!

What's really bothering me is the first sentence of that article:
"While not everyone can say their wedding was the best day of their lives, for one lucky couple, it will ring true even if things don't work out."
Really? The best day of your life would be that time you met some teen celebrity for 10 minutes??

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »
It sounded like a more casual reception at a venue that couldn't be closed to the public.  So really, anybody could have walked by the reception site.  Most of us wouldn't barge in but we might make eye contact, smile and wave on the way by.

So while Justin and Selena were technically rude, I think it was a nice thing to do.  If they'd pulled up a chair and bellied up to the bar for the rest of the night?  That would have been RUDE!.   :D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Reuth

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 10:06:56 AM »
It sounded like a more casual reception at a venue that couldn't be closed to the public.  So really, anybody could have walked by the reception site.  Most of us wouldn't barge in but we might make eye contact, smile and wave on the way by.

So while Justin and Selena were technically rude, I think it was a nice thing to do.  If they'd pulled up a chair and bellied up to the bar for the rest of the night?  That would have been RUDE!.   :D

For this reason, and the fact that he only stayed a few minutes, I'm going to change and say it was "questionably rude". Because it was apparently motivated by good intentions and was not just a "hey look at me!"

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »
Honestly, there are plenty of musicians whose music I love but whose persona might be disruptive at best, and very possibly unpleasant.  Maybe a tween guest at the wedding asked to hear a JB song - doesn't mean the HC want him at the wedding, even for 10 minutes.  If I was getting married I don't know that I'd think to put him on the forbidden list wiht the DJ but I wouldn't want him dropping in.

I was waiting to see if someone would say this in a way I could not quite say it, but this is it. I can totally imagine my 13 years old sister begging for this song... and then BAM nightmare come true. Ugh.

It would be rude of me to be a spoilsport and turn him away (and my sister might as well kill me as I think she is of the Belieber category, if not worse... I think the only reason she does not have posters of him in her room is because she likes horses more) , but it's even ruder of him to just come up.

To the HC, and to the poor GF who has to wait while he plays the star.
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .