Was Justin Bieber rude?

Yes
85 (55.6%)
No
57 (37.3%)
Other
11 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Author Topic: Justin Bieber crashes a wedding  (Read 8338 times)

Larrabee

Re: Justin Bieber crashes a wedding
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
Justin Bieber is a real person? I always thought he was computer-generated.

The Onion is thinking along the same lines...

http://www.theonion.com/video/disney-lab-unveils-its-latest-line-of-genetically,14268/

jmarvellous

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 08:58:48 PM »
My first impulse was "Yes!" but thanks to some posters' well-thought-out words, I reconsidered. I think it made their day special and memorable in an unexpected way, so I can't really say it was straight-up rude.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 06:41:38 PM »
Something that occurresd to me - even if I objected to JB popping in I'm not sure I would state that publicly. His fans are pretty rabid - i don't know that I'd want to be on the wrong side of them.

ghost

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »
You bring up a very good point, Sharnita.

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 02:41:19 AM »
Something that occurresd to me - even if I objected to JB popping in I'm not sure I would state that publicly. His fans are pretty rabid - i don't know that I'd want to be on the wrong side of them.

To be honest, this is actually one of the reasons why I think it's all the ruder that he dropped in... because you never know what crazy fans might be doing, and someone could have seen him, and made a scene, things like that. Especially if he had lots of fans at the wedding :D .

But what can I say. If I saw a star I did not like I still would be polite to them, simply because I do not believe in being a "hater" ... I may not like the star, but that doesn't mean I get to ruin their mood by disliking them to their face when they have done nothing to me  ;D.
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 04:26:06 AM »
As long is the HC remained happy, I'm fine with it.  Then again, pretty sure I can think of some singers that are welcome to crash my (eventual) wedding.  >:D

Iris

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 06:04:15 AM »
I'm not a fan of JB particularly, but DDs are. If he turned up at a family function that was me-centred I'd be thrilled, for their sake. Someone at the party clearly liked him. I really don't see how it would have been such a big screaming deal even if the HC weren't particularly fans - would it absolutely have killed them to have the spotlight taken off them for 10 minutes. I'm sure some of their guests loved it.

So, meh. They were playing his song, he only stayed 10 minutes. I'd give him a pass, even if Emily Post wouldn't.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 08:54:33 AM »
In my opinion, for a rudeness to exist, there has to be a victim. There is no victim here, therefore no rudeness. To whom was Beiber being rude?

ghost

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »
But Beiber had no way of knowing whether or not the HC would be thrilled to have him there or not. My sister specifically requested Queen's "Fat Bottom Girls" and Sir Mix a Lot's "Baby Got Back" at her wedding. I'm not so sure she would have wanted the remaining members of Queen or Mr. Lot to come crashing in her wedding. Heck, if Zombie Freddie Mercury came waltzing it, I'm sure she would have been a less than thrilled.

would it absolutely have killed them to have the spotlight taken off them for 10 minutes. I'm sure some of their guests loved it.

So, meh. They were playing his song, he only stayed 10 minutes.

Killed them? No. But I would be upset.

Would it kill Justin Beiber to stay out of the spotlight when he's not directly invited into it?

I'm sure some of the guests loved it - which means that, even after Beiber left, it could still have been a big focal point, when the focal point should really be the HC.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »
But Beiber had no way of knowing whether or not the HC would be thrilled to have him there or not. My sister specifically requested Queen's "Fat Bottom Girls" and Sir Mix a Lot's "Baby Got Back" at her wedding. I'm not so sure she would have wanted the remaining members of Queen or Mr. Lot to come crashing in her wedding. Heck, if Zombie Freddie Mercury came waltzing it, I'm sure she would have been a less than thrilled.

Clearly, there was the potential for rudeness, but since the the only people who had any claim to be offended were, in fact, the opposite of offended, no rudeness occurred. For him to be called rude, there had to be someone to be rude to. He wasn't rude to anyone. In many situations, I wouldn't say "the ends justify the means," but in some cases, I think both intent and the end result are important factors in deciding how severely etiquette was violated.

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »
I think I read that JB and Selena were walking by the venue from the beachside when they heard JB song being played. If the venue was open to the public and JB happened to just "stick their heads' into the room, that's not at all crashing a wedding.

In my definition of crashing, JB would have sat down to eat/drink/dance/party on the HC dime. 

In a public venue there is nothing wrong with anyone congratulating the HC on their marriage.

Arizona

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »
I think I read that JB and Selena were walking by the venue from the beachside when they heard JB song being played. If the venue was open to the public and JB happened to just "stick their heads' into the room, that's not at all crashing a wedding.

In my definition of crashing, JB would have sat down to eat/drink/dance/party on the HC dime. 

In a public venue there is nothing wrong with anyone congratulating the HC on their marriage.

I agree with this.  To call this crashing a wedding is sort of exaggerating.  They didn't crash the wedding.  They popped in for a few minutes. 

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »
I voted rude because, in my mind, you don't go to a wedding to which you're not invited.
Famous or not. 10 minutes or 10 hours. You don't.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Iris

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 07:11:49 PM »

would it absolutely have killed them to have the spotlight taken off them for 10 minutes. I'm sure some of their guests loved it.

So, meh. They were playing his song, he only stayed 10 minutes.

Killed them? No. But I would be upset.

Would it kill Justin Beiber to stay out of the spotlight when he's not directly invited into it?

I'm sure some of the guests loved it - which means that, even after Beiber left, it could still have been a big focal point, when the focal point should really be the HC.

Maybe we just view weddings differently or just have different experiences. For me, if he'd interrupted the ceremony it would be completely inexcusable because that really IS all about the HC and nobody else at all in the whole world. The reception is a celebration of the marriage and more inclusive of family and friends, to me. Also,  if this had happened to me I know the talk afterwards would have been "Wow, what a treat on your wedding day. We're so excited for you two that you'll have a great story to tell!" rather than "Woohoo! Justin Beiber!"

Then again, my criteria for how much I like anything - up to and including hurting myself - is how good a story it will make so maybe it's just my own unique viewpoint.  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Reika

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2011, 11:18:40 PM »
I voted rude because, in my mind, you don't go to a wedding to which you're not invited.
Famous or not. 10 minutes or 10 hours. You don't.

My thoughts exactly.

And I found this to be vaguely creepy actually. Given that he's a popular singer amongst the teens, I'm sure there's quite a few places that play his music. Is he going to just pop into all those random places everytime he hears his music?