Was Justin Bieber rude?

Yes
85 (55.6%)
No
57 (37.3%)
Other
11 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Author Topic: Justin Bieber crashes a wedding  (Read 8708 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Justin Bieber crashes a wedding
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »
I voted rude because, in my mind, you don't go to a wedding to which you're not invited.
Famous or not. 10 minutes or 10 hours. You don't.

This.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Mammavan3

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 01:45:53 PM »
Not a JB fan here; I doubt I'd recognize him if I passed him on the street.

But I can imagine the excitement among younger family members should this have occurred at a family wedding.  Even the older guests would have an interesting story to share with their friends.  As a host, I think that anything as innocuous as this that gives my guests pleasure is not rude.

Justin Bieber is a pretty inoffensive personality; had someone like Sinead O'Connor done it, I think it would be a different situation entirely, but then I'm also sure that most celebrities have a pretty good idea of who comprises their fan base and who doesn't.

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 09:35:09 PM »
My wife and I were just discussing this and we came up with a list of celebrities who are always allowed to crash a wedding.

Bill Murray, 'cause he's guaranteed to make it a good time for all.

Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn, 'cause it was in the fine print of their "Wedding Crashers" contracts.

Barry Manilow, 'cause he writes the songs.

The Dalai Lama, but only at golf-related weddings. Big hitter, the Lama.

Elvis, 'cause hail to the King.

And, of course, any member of a mariachi band.

POD, only I'd have to agree to a whole mariachi band.  ;D

I guarantee you that the Beibs showing up at a family wedding would not only be a lifetime memory, it would also take away the lifetime memory of certain family members guaranteed to act badly.

A dump truck driving into the venue would also do the trick, in our family.

kitchcat

• Flickr
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
Goodness, when I tell DH about this he's going to be so jealous. I think I'm married to the only fully-grown man who went BY HIMSELF to see JB's movie Never Say Never in theaters. 

I voted rude because I personally wouldn't want my wedding to be remembered only as the wedding where a certain celebrity showed up. Also, the attitude he must have had to go do that seems a little off to me. He probably realized it was a wedding before he was seen, yet proceeded to go and take the attention away from the HC and put it on himself. Another "who does that?"
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »
This right here, kids, is why everyone should elope.

Only YOU can prevent drive-by Bieberings.
Words mean things.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:53 AM »
This right here, kids, is why everyone should elope.

Only YOU can prevent drive-by Bieberings.

;D
The status is not quo!

RubySlippers

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »
I voted "Not Rude".  While showing up at a wedding that one was technically not invited to, it's not like he is someone's ex and was specifically NOT INVITED!!!!1111
I guess when one of my sons eventually get married, I'll have to leave a list at the reception of people who are allowed to drop in for 10 minutes:
the Queen
the band Queen
Any classic rocker
and, of course, Alan Rickman, Jeremy Irons and/or Hugh Jackman

but - what if I miss one who happens to be passing?  What if Sean Connery hears the pipes (which we will have whether my son wants them or not) and I didn't specifically put him on the list???  Do we turn him away?

Not rude - totally fun - and 10 minutes of Justin Bieber beats 10 minutes of my MIL any day.

Wolfgirl

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »
Not rude - but certainly dangerous. If anyone PLAYED JB at my wedding, there would have been words exchanged. The words may have been wrapped round a brick thrown at the DJ.

IF the scary manchild with disturbingly effeminite voice   man himself turned up, well... there would have been an INCIDENT. International peace keeping forces may have been involved.  >:D

However now I'm worried that High Jackman, Alan Rickman, Josh Holloway and scores of other lovlies were turned away from my wedding cos I forgot to leave a list at the door. OH NOES! No, seriously, a part of me really thinks they may have wanted to dance with me!   ;D

BeagleMommy

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »
I voted rude because it was not a public event even if it was held in a public place.  This man/child always seems very entitled and seriously immature for his age.

Now if Adam Levine and the rest of Maroon 5 showed up; different story.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2011, 05:03:29 AM »
I voted rude because it was not a public event even if it was held in a public place.  This man/child always seems very entitled and seriously immature for his age.

Now if Adam Levine and the rest of Maroon 5 showed up; different story.

That's my thing, we all have our exception, not ok for Bieber but...

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2011, 10:44:06 AM »
I saw this in my neighborhood Walgreens last night, and thought of this thread:

Now he can crash your bathroom!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2011, 11:00:27 AM »
nolechica wrote:

"That's my thing, we all have our exception, not ok for Bieber but..."

This is what spins it for me.  Mr. Bieber didn't plan ahead to crash, he heard one of his songs, and he stayed for ten minutes.  Given all of that, it can reasonably be said that he could expect to be welcome at the reception (if the HC truly despised him the odds of his song playing are lessened) and he didn't stay long enough to change the focus of the event.  He may have been strictly against etiquette but there's a lot of vitriol aimed at him here for something that's relatively minor.   Is it really polite to make slurs at him about this?  What place does "manchild" have on an etiquette forum?

Virg

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
I don't get it either.  Several posters (on more than one website) say it's rude and Justin Bieber is an entitled attention-hogging brat, but then they throw in "however, if it's so-and-so, that's fine because I love them  ;)  >:D "  No.  If it's rude for one, it's rude for all. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:34:11 AM by rose red »

Reika

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2011, 11:54:19 AM »
I don't get it either.  Several posters (on more than one website) say it's rude and Justin Bieber is an entitled attention-hogging brat, but then they throw in "however, if it's so-and-so, that's fine because I love them  ;)  >:D "  No.  If it's rude for one, it's rude for all.

Yep that's my feeling. Even if it was an actor or singer I loved that did that, I'd still be seriously cheesed off.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »

There are a lot of things that are unquestionably rude, but that individual people wouldn't mind (or at least, they wouldn't mind it from certain people). I interpreted those posts to mean "It's rude for a celebrity to show up uninvited, even if they hear their music being played. But despite that, I'd personally be thrilled if Artist A showed up at my wedding." IOW, the action is rude, but they personally would enjoy if certain of their favorite artists showed up.

The problem, of course, is that there is no way for the celebrity in question to know beforehand who would appreciate their presence and who would hate it (regardless of what music is being played), which is why it's rude to show up uninvited.