Author Topic: Grocery Store Parking Lot  (Read 1170 times)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
Grocery Store Parking Lot
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:01:33 PM »
The grocery store near my house has set aside most of the nearest parking spots as special needs. At the end closest to the door, are the handicapped spots and taxi only spots. The next spot over is a senior spot and then a spot for parents with babies/children. Of course, only the handicapped are covered by law and others are suggestions.

This isn't the random act of grace. It's that the spots are almost always left empty. I live in a neighbourhood where the population is quite elderly and there are plenty of people with kids, but what happens is that even though people could technically use the spots, they leave them for those who need them more. So I will see a lot of empty spots and go in the grocery store to see it brimming with parents and grey hair.

I personally have a kid, but I only have one kid so she is pretty easy to wrangle. I prefer to leave the spots for someone with multiple kids or perhaps a kid that is a little more difficult. It seems that almost everyone else feels the same way. I think that is very sweet.

After reading the thread about people not leaving the elevator for the person with the wheelchair, I wanted to share this and suggest that the majority of people will do the right things with a bit of a nudge.

peach2play

Re: Grocery Store Parking Lot
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »
I am surprised at the family spots that are left open at my very high end mall.  I'm glad people aren't always as selfish as I expect them to be.