Author Topic: A small request: More Descriptive Titles  (Read 3634 times)

Etta Kett

A small request: More Descriptive Titles
« on: July 20, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »
Hi! I'm Etta, and it's really great to post here, lots of intelligent human conversation going on, and I'm looking forward to being more a part of it.

I hope this is the right place to put forth questions or ask for opinions from everyone, fwi figure it is, so if I'm in the wrong place (or just in the wrong) please let me know!

My problem is this. I have a bad memory, so I often can't remember if I read something somewhere unless I get some sort of idea of the post from the title. I know I've read at least one thread with the title "I used it today!" so it's confusing when I see more than one.

ETA: didn't realise this had actually posted, I thought I'd disappeared it somehow  :-[  I was just requesting that if posters can put a bit more info regarding the subject at hand in titles so I can recall if I've read it would be very helpful! Thanks, EK
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:36:11 PM by Etta Kett »

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: A small equest: More Descriptive Titles
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
I don't tend to start many threads, so I can't really say anything about that, but if you click on "new Replies to your posts" it will bring up all the threads you have posted in. I use that quite a lot to keep track of threads I'm interested in.
NE England

Etta Kett

Re: A small equest: More Descriptive Titles
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »
I don't tend to start many threads, so I can't really say anything about that, but if you click on "new Replies to your posts" it will bring up all the threads you have posted in. I use that quite a lot to keep track of threads I'm interested in.
I mostly lurk, and did here for about 6 months before I created my account.

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
Re: A small request: More Descriptive Titles
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »
I agree that more descriptive titles would be helpful.  When I'm reading new posts halfway through a thread titled "Did I do okay?"  or "Is this rude?" or "Help needed, please" I often have to go back and re-read the first post so I can remember which situation people are replying to, whereas a title like "Apologizing for anesthesia groping" is pretty memorable.   ;D

kareng57

• Super Hero!
Re: A small request: More Descriptive Titles
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:58:54 PM »
I agree, I think it would be helpful to have more descriptive titles.

The thing is - a lot of threads have kind of overlapping concerns. For example - a post pertaining to breastfeeding-among-company might conceivably be placed under Family, Life In General, or Entertaining.  (I'm not referring to the current thread that's going on, because the OP did give it a pretty descriptive title).  If it had a vague title, and I was finding it interesting, I could have an awful time trying to find it the next day if it was titled something like "was I rude?" even if I'm using the "show new posts" option.