Author Topic: Chocolate Prep Question  (Read 2041 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Chocolate Prep Question
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:32:34 AM »
I'm really getting ambitious lately.  My local party store has candy molds for shamrocks and other St Patrick's Day things and since I have granulated Splenda I was thinking about making some chocolates for the party.  However, I'd like to know whether anyone has tried adding Bailey's Irish Cream (or the similarly flavored coffee creamer) to chocolate for this purpose and whether it works.

catgal

Re: Chocolate Prep Question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:25:49 AM »
I haven't tried it with any liqueurs, but with other liquid flavourings I found it important that the liquid not be too cold as it made the chocolate seize.  Make a small batch and add a few drops at a time and taste test till it's right. Do you think there is a way to thicken the Baileys and make it into a filling, like mix it with some icing sugar and make a fondant?
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 08:02:34 AM »
I don't know.  I was thinking of putting it into the chocolate itself.  If I add granulated Splenda to it beforehand that might work.  However, I don't know that I have the right chocolate.  I have the unsweetened one:

http://www.kraftbrands.com/bakerschocolate/bakersbrands.aspx

If this isn't the right stuff I don't know where to find what is needed.  Since the host and several guests are diabetic I want to make these mostly sugar-free.

Also, since I've seen milk chocolate versions of what I'm looking to make I'm looking for instructions on that, too.

No biggie if I can't manage this; I have lots of other prep for this party.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
Pastry chef here :)

If you are going to be making solid chocolate pieces I would recommend you take a small amount of chocolate and add the liquor to that, then add the flavored chocolate into the larger amount of chocolate. Catgal is correct that the liquor needs to be warm when adding it to the chocolate

A better and much more successful way of doing it would be to make a chocolate ganache filling and use that inside of your chocolates.  I'm happy to provide at tutorial if you'd like.  It's not difficult, but it does have a few more steps than making solid chocolate pieces.

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »
I've made chocolates with beer & orange liquer before and it worked quite well though I was making truffles so it wasn't straight chocolate+sugar+alcohol.  I would test the Splenda in a small batch just in case though.