Author Topic: Local Foods  (Read 33843 times)

CosmicChicken42

Re: Local Foods
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2011, 09:27:42 PM »
I'm from Harrisburg, PA.  Some of the best things are:
Shoo-Fly Pie.  Seriously it is a combination of complete and utter molasses bliss than you will fall in love with and want to marry.

Middlewarths BBQ Chips  & UTZ chips

Also, and I didn't realize that this did not happen outside of the East Coast, but Made To Order food at gas stations.  We have a wonderful gas station called Sheetz(which is almost as good as WaWa) that serves MTO food.  You can order specialty drinks, pizza, burgers, sandwiches, paninis, salads, soups, wraps, ANYTHING made to order at your local gas station and it'll be ready in less than 5 minutes.  So I will add Sheetz to the wonderful list of local food even though it serves everything you ever wanted. 

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2011, 02:46:27 AM »
In the deserts of Southern CA here.  We don't have any specially local food (excluding a burger named after the town that a restaurant that went out of business a couple years ago made.  Most ironically, said burger made everyone sick...)

What we do have is a mishmash of cuisine.  I am talking about foods which are highly German, or highly Midwestern, sometimes with Tex-Mex (like Mexican but not really) thrown in there for flair.  I have had, personally, churros, Tex-Mex Tacos, Nachos, Hamburgers, Mashed Potatoes with Gravy and Fried Chicken, Stoll, Spetzhul, Fruitcake, Brotwurst (mmm :D ), Cheddarwurst, puddings (of the American and British varieties-- from chocolate to Bread and Yellow puddings), Orange Ruffy (a white fish) in cream sauce (a very white sauce, bland looking dinner ;) ), Ludafisk (offered, not tried  ;) ), Calimari Rings (like onion rings, with squid.  They're served in a semi-nice restaurant here ;D), donuts, potato pancakes WITH applesauce (best thing EVER), potato salad, macaroni salad, and enough Jell-O Salad from a single family reunion to make a 1:2 scale Gelatine Statue of Liberty, with enough Coolwhip (whipped cream) to frost that torch.  No, I wish I *was* kidding.

Then again, my family is mostly Midwestern, German, and Norse themselves, and a large chunk of the town's early population is from Oklahoma, with a later few waves from the Los Angeles area.  The first two probably have lent a heavy German influence into my appetite.  :)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2011, 03:04:52 AM »
Apropos cheese- cheese savoury- a sandwich filling made of grated cheese, onion and carrot, with mayonnaise. I've never seen it outside the North East.
NE England

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2011, 04:38:25 AM »
We had fish and chips the other night and it occurred to me that you probably only get fried dim sims in Australia. They're a little fried dumpling filled with cabbage and other 'stuff' you really probably don't need, or in fact want to know, what else. They're quite delicious. I'm sure they have a Chinese background, but we've made them our own. You can get them steamed too, but they look a bit flaccid for my liking, though I like steamed dumplings in other settings.

Victoria

Betelnut

« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »
Italian beef sandwiches. I tried to like them, I did, but even the most highly recommended ones were gristly beef on a soggy bun (the juice is poured over it). Shudder.

The Mother-in-Law. A tamale in a hot dog bun, topped with chili, cheese, and onions. Never tried this and probably never will.

Hopefully the corn husk is taken off the tamale first?  Or perhaps the name of the item comes from the fact that you are expected to choke down the corn husk...LOL!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2011, 03:00:18 PM »
I think the name comes from the attendant indigestion.

They're actually not the fat tamales I think most of us are familiar with, but long, skinny machine-extruded tubes. Not sure if they're ever packed in corn husks, but I think not. They're produced locally.

dogcazza

« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2011, 01:48:40 AM »
I'm in Australia, and while it's not really an everyday food, we eat Kangaroo. It's readily available at every day supermarkets, and I must say it is quite delicious when marinated and fried, very gamey but lean, and super healthy.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »
Can I ask a question of all you current NJ-ites (and former ones)?

I told my co-worker to check out a genuine NJ diner when she went to visit. She asked a person she was visiting with for a recommendation.... and this person told her "Well there's such and so diner but it's owned by Greeks and I don't know how good it is."

I was born & raised in northern NJ and lived there for most of my adult life. To the best of my knowledge, all the diners there worth talking about were Greek-owned. I can't think of one that wasn't, actually.

Did something change in the last 6 years since we've moved out of the state?

Nope, not that I'm aware of.  There are 4 diners within 4 miles of where I live, and to the best of my knowledge ALL are Greek-owned.  I've only eaten at 2, and while I prefer certain things at each one, they are both good.  I don't know what your friend's host was talking about :)

And I will come out and admit, as a Jersey I don't like taylor ham.  There. I said it.  But I also don't like regular ham, so I think I get a pass on that.

We also have great pizza; thin crust, etc.  I won't eat pizza anywhere else but here....

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »
Charleston SC
Shrimp & Grits
She crab Soup
Crab Cakes (Sorry, Maryland-I know I'm biased but the ones here are the best!)
Boiled Peanuts
Beaufort Stew (aka Frogmore Stew)
Pig Roasts
Any fresh, locally caught seafood (especially shrimp or crawfish) cooked in someones' backyard with a whole bunch of friends!

We really like our food in the south!

I think I need to go there. I've never been to the South, but I'm tempted to go just for the food.

I've been in Atlanta almost 10 years & I've yet to have either boiled peanuts or shrimp & grits (or any grits for that matter).  But I'm from Kansas City & Atlanta doesn't have REAL BBQ...  I don't know what they do to the poor sauce...

Can't speak for Atlanta, but here in Chucktown we have fantastic BBQ. Just last week the Food Network visited the Bessinger's BBQ around the corner from my house. The Bessinger name is huge in SC--everyone knows about "Piggy Park" in Columbia, owned by another Bessinger. There are numerous other small BBQ joints around here as well, most of them are quite good.

Out of curiosity, where you are from is your sauce tomato, vinegar or mustard based? You can get all 3 here, but the mustard is the best...mmmmm.....

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2011, 09:47:22 AM »
I'm from Harrisburg, PA.  Some of the best things are:
Shoo-Fly Pie.  Seriously it is a combination of complete and utter molasses bliss than you will fall in love with and want to marry.

Middlewarths BBQ Chips  & UTZ chips

Also, and I didn't realize that this did not happen outside of the East Coast, but Made To Order food at gas stations.  We have a wonderful gas station called Sheetz(which is almost as good as WaWa) that serves MTO food.  You can order specialty drinks, pizza, burgers, sandwiches, paninis, salads, soups, wraps, ANYTHING made to order at your local gas station and it'll be ready in less than 5 minutes.  So I will add Sheetz to the wonderful list of local food even though it serves everything you ever wanted.

I LOVE Utz chips. Back in the 80's, they were named best in the country by Food and Wine magazine (and still have this on their bags!)  They weren't as readily available everywhere as they are now, so I can remember my parents and I driving out to Krumsville, to Dietrich's meat market with TWO cooler chests,and stopping at a local Weis market for some Utz.

And while not local for me, although I was born in York, lebanon bologna.  I love it.  Even after watching Dirty Jobs and seeing how its made.  I've loved it since I was a kid.  It's also something you weren't really able to get here in NJ when I was  kid, so when we did get it, it was a treat.

I also like Sheetz; I drive through PA and MD to get to my mom's in VA and my Sheetz of choice is the one on US15 in Dillsburg.  Its the perfect stop, both timewise, and location.  I prefer on and off stops, not ones where you get off and have to drive several miles to whatever it is you want.

Smitty

« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
Several people have already mentioned poutine (which is amazing). I would add butter tarts and tourtiere to the list of Canadian delicacies. Also, vinegar is offered as a standard condiment with french fries - it's so frustrating to order fries when I'm in the USA and not have vinegar to go with them!

Most Canadians will know what I mean if I say "I ordered the Festive Special last night - I'm still mad that they changed the chocolates!" There is a restaurant chain called Swiss Chalet here that specializes in rotisserie chicken. In Nov/Dec they have the "Festive Special", which is a meal that includes dressing and cranberry sauce, and comes with chocolates. The chocolate used to be a miniature Toblerone bar, but now it's a box of assorted Lindts. This was national news.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »
Several people have already mentioned poutine (which is amazing). I would add butter tarts and tourtiere to the list of Canadian delicacies. Also, vinegar is offered as a standard condiment with french fries - it's so frustrating to order fries when I'm in the USA and not have vinegar to go with them!

Most Canadians will know what I mean if I say "I ordered the Festive Special last night - I'm still mad that they changed the chocolates!" There is a restaurant chain called Swiss Chalet here that specializes in rotisserie chicken. In Nov/Dec they have the "Festive Special", which is a meal that includes dressing and cranberry sauce, and comes with chocolates. The chocolate used to be a miniature Toblerone bar, but now it's a box of assorted Lindts. This was national news.

LOL! I nearly snorted my dinner at that. We went to Swiss Chalet for Thanksgiving dinner and Mother wanted the holiday special. They didn't have stuffing with the meal. You would have thought they forgot the plate, she was so horrified!

She's going to be ticked when she finds out about the chocolate. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Smitty

« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »

LOL! I nearly snorted my dinner at that. We went to Swiss Chalet for Thanksgiving dinner and Mother wanted the holiday special. They didn't have stuffing with the meal. You would have thought they forgot the plate, she was so horrified!

She's going to be ticked when she finds out about the chocolate. :P

Don't mess with our Festive Special. Seriously, we will cut you.  :P

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2011, 01:40:35 PM »
And from Waterford Michigan you can find the divine Downey's Potato Chips, my friend and her now late aunt turned me on to these gems, they are only available in Oakland County Michigan, and I ask her to bring a bag or two with her whenever I meet up with her, lol, of course I bring her some Canadian chocolate as a trade! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Downeys-Potato-Chips/167500419933695

Jules

Lynda_34

« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »
There are so many! And many that are just every day food that we don't even realize foreigners would consider it an unusual local food.

I just roasted a large pan of arracacha roots. It is so delicious! It is bright yellow, but it has an almost creamy texture and a nutty, slightly sweet flavour. You can boil them, puree them, fry them, roast them, make pasta, etc.

Now, on a much less healthy direction, brigadeiros. They are small sweets, very traditional in children's parties, made with condensed milk, cocoa and butter. Creamy, chocolatey and delicious. There is no way that I wait for a party to have them, so I make them at home sometimes. If they had a good deal fewer calories, I would make them a lot more often.

There are also a lot of variants: coconut and clove, coconut and prune, walnuts or a plain variety coated with sugar.

I'm going to read the whole thread, I promise but where are you and how can I get this stuff. I am in New England