Author Topic: You're Fired! But I'm Going To Tell the Whole World Before You  (Read 6106 times)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/glee-star-cory-monteith-learns-hes-fired-in-the-hollywood-reporter--3329

Ryan Murphy, creator of Glee, has been giving interviews recently about the direction the show is going. Because the show is set in high school, once the characters graduate from school, at the end of the upcoming season, he has revealed they will no longer be on the show. This includes three of the biggest stars/characters of the show.

One of the actors, Chris Kolfer, who plays Kurt, found out via Twitter that his role was being cut. And actory Cory Monteith, who plays Finn, found out after an interview Murphy did with The Hollywood Reporter.

The quote from the article says, "Murphy acknowledged that while he hasn't discussed graduation plans with Monteith yet, he presumes he's aware that Finn will be among those graduating." She quotes Murphy on Monteith: "He knows he was a sophomore when the show started."

Seems like a little professional courtesy could go a long way by talking to the cast first, rather than blindsiding them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 11:36:15 AM by jimithing »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: You're Fired! But I'm Going To Tell the Whole World Before You
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:48:59 AM »
Well, he does have a point that one might surmise one's role as a high school student would be of finite duration.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »
Well, he does have a point that one might surmise one's role as a high school student would be of finite duration.

I agree, but there have been a ton of shows that have characters stay on in some manner after graduation. The article also points out that Finn's character is dopey enough that it wouldn't be a surprise that he had to stay back a year.

I just think it's best to talk directly to your staff before you put it out publicly that their contract will be ending.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 12:16:08 PM »
I'm starting to like Ryan Murphy less and less with how he goes about his business.  Why don't they get the same treatment as Lea Michele, since it seems like she knows?  Or maybe she learned the same way but is being quiet about it? 

That said - I know this isn't the Glee thread - but I won't be watching the show past season 3.  They're getting rid of three of my favorites and using a reality show to find a new cast member.  It just makes me wrinkle my nose when I think about the show.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
I think it is unprofessional.  I know different fields of business have different ethical standards, but if there is one that is close to universal, it would be that you don't tell other people about a person's employment status before that person knows.  I have also been very unimpressed with Ryan Murphy's professionalism when it comes to talking about the behind-the-scenes details about the show.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 01:04:19 PM »
I think it is unprofessional.  I know different fields of business have different ethical standards, but if there is one that is close to universal, it would be that you don't tell other people about a person's employment status before that person knows.  I have also been very unimpressed with Ryan Murphy's professionalism when it comes to talking about the behind-the-scenes details about the show.

What kinds of things has he been saying?

I am really not a fan of Ryan Murphy. I haventl watched Glee in a long time because I'm unimpressed, but he acts like an.  Entitled SS most of the time. I really was unimpressed when he was berating musicians for not allowing him to use their music on the show.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 01:29:27 PM »

What kinds of things has he been saying?

I am really not a fan of Ryan Murphy. I haventl watched Glee in a long time because I'm unimpressed, but he acts like an.  Entitled SS most of the time. I really was unimpressed when he was berating musicians for not allowing him to use their music on the show.

That's mostly what I was talking about, the berating of musicians or bands who won't allow him to use their songs.  I also seem to remember him being furious with an extra who posted spoilers about the prom episode, which was obviously very wrong, but I don't see that he behaves much better.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »
Unfortunately it's not the first time and I don't think it'll be the last that actors have been the last to find out the series they're on is being cancelled or that their character is being written out of the show. Having said that, I agree that if you're getting rid of a character on a show the actor playing them should be the first person to know and not the last. But for whatever reason people in Hollywood don't think like that or they simply don't care. As far as Glee goes, it doesn't matter to me because I don't watch it anyway.

Ed.

SiotehCat

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 04:16:29 PM »
I have a hard time believing that the actors didnt know. Don't they have contracts?

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »
I have a hard time believing that the actors didnt know. Don't they have contracts?

It's possible they are renewed season to season?

Lauren

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 08:46:59 AM »
The actors were signed for 3 seasons with options to pick up.

Everyone assumed they would find a way around graduating them. Simply put because Glee, which started off with so much promise, is a terrible, terrible show. The only thing that keeps a lot of the rabid fandom around (which are the people who buy the songs every week and spend hundreds of dollars going to see them in concert) are very attached to the actors. For a lot of people you take the actors away and you take away their reason for watching the show. I know personally, once Lea Michelle is gone, I'll stop watching. I love Matthew Morrison but the show is so badly written I can only just stand it when they're both on there, but not one.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »
The actors were signed for 3 seasons with options to pick up.

Everyone assumed they would find a way around graduating them. Simply put because Glee, which started off with so much promise, is a terrible, terrible show. The only thing that keeps a lot of the rabid fandom around (which are the people who buy the songs every week and spend hundreds of dollars going to see them in concert) are very attached to the actors. For a lot of people you take the actors away and you take away their reason for watching the show. I know personally, once Lea Michelle is gone, I'll stop watching. I love Matthew Morrison but the show is so badly written I can only just stand it when they're both on there, but not one.

POD. 

I do know that, if/when all three actors leave, I will stop watching the show.  Well, I'll give it once chance and then I'll be done. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

P-p-p-penguin

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »

POD 100%, the whole post.  That is incredibly unprofessional IMO. 

I think it's fair to assume that the three actors knew there was a likelihood their roles would be cut.  But that does not make it ok for Murphy to confirm this to the press before telling the actual people involved.

I also remember the thread on here about the way he reacted when Kings of Leon refused to allow their music to be used in the programme.  He was a total brat about it.  If I wasn't already completely uninterested in Glee then this man's conduct would have put me off for sure.

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 04:43:55 AM »
I just returned from San Diego Comic Con where I sat in on the Glee panel. Ryan Murphy was not there, but a few members of the cast and some of the writers and producers were.

Brad Falchuk (executive producer) clarified that, while the characters of Chris Colfer, Lea Michelle, and Cory Monteith will be graduating from high school, they will still be around. In fact, from the way Brad verbally danced certain topics, I got the idea that they are trying for a spinoff with Chris, Lea, and Michelle.

Brad stated that, while Ryan Murphy confirmed that Kurt, Finn, and Rachel would be graduated, Ryan never said they would be returning to the show.

As for Chord Overstreet, Brad said they asked Chord to return for several episodes. He refused.

You can see the tweets from the panel by searching in Twitter on #Glee and #SDCC

That's mostly what I was talking about, the berating of musicians or bands who won't allow him to use their songs.  I also seem to remember him being furious with an extra who posted spoilers about the prom episode, which was obviously very wrong, but I don't see that he behaves much better.

Spoilers released by Executive Producers are very, very different than spoilers released by an extra.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:48:09 AM by C0mputerGeek »

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 09:23:59 AM »

Spoilers released by Executive Producers are very, very different than spoilers released by an extra.

Well, sure, but if he exhibits a lack of professionalism and thinks everything is fair game for discussion, I can understand how people who work for him would think it was okay-ish.  (I don't think the extra who leaked the spoiler was right, far from it, but it bothers me somehow that he can tell the personal business of his employees in a worldwide forum and have that be okay because he's "the boss.")