Author Topic: You're Fired! But I'm Going To Tell the Whole World Before You  (Read 5978 times)

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
Re: You're Fired! But I'm Going To Tell the Whole World Before You
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »
I remember reading during the first season that once the character's graduated they were done, as it was a high school drama, so it's been out there for over a year and shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone and actually most of the characters will be seniors next year and thus gone, which should be interesting to see how they handle it. I think it's neat that they're keeping the focus on the school/glee club, not on the specific characters, like so many shows do.

I agree that you could totally keep Finn around by having him fail to graduate, doesn't work for the rest of the cast though.

I think the producer probably should have been clear with the cast, but the news has been out there for a while, pretty much from the beginning, so they can't really have been blind-sided by it.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 12:04:12 PM »
I just returned from San Diego Comic Con where I sat in on the Glee panel. Ryan Murphy was not there, but a few members of the cast and some of the writers and producers were.

Brad Falchuk (executive producer) clarified that, while the characters of Chris Colfer, Lea Michelle, and Cory Monteith will be graduating from high school, they will still be around. In fact, from the way Brad verbally danced certain topics, I got the idea that they are trying for a spinoff with Chris, Lea, and Michelle.

Brad stated that, while Ryan Murphy confirmed that Kurt, Finn, and Rachel would be graduated, Ryan never said they would be returning to the show.

As for Chord Overstreet, Brad said they asked Chord to return for several episodes. He refused.

You can see the tweets from the panel by searching in Twitter on #Glee and #SDCC

That's mostly what I was talking about, the berating of musicians or bands who won't allow him to use their songs.  I also seem to remember him being furious with an extra who posted spoilers about the prom episode, which was obviously very wrong, but I don't see that he behaves much better.

Spoilers released by Executive Producers are very, very different than spoilers released by an extra.

Oh! Looks like the quote tree got messed up. That's Deb's quote, not mine.

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 02:34:39 PM »
Sorry jimithing! That was not intentional. I trimmed the quotes and got lost. I thought I double-checked it, but I guess not. I will fix it later on today.

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
Well, sure, but if he exhibits a lack of professionalism and thinks everything is fair game for discussion, I can understand how people who work for him would think it was okay-ish.  (I don't think the extra who leaked the spoiler was right, far from it, but it bothers me somehow that he can tell the personal business of his employees in a worldwide forum and have that be okay because he's "the boss.")

How often have we said on this board that retaliatory rudeness is not proper? Ryan Murphy being a boor does not excuse the behavior of the extra.

As someone who works for an entertainment company, not as an extra, I can tell you they are *very* clear about who is allowed to speak to the media and who is not.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »
Sorry jimithing! That was not intentional. I trimmed the quotes and got lost. I thought I double-checked it, but I guess not. I will fix it later on today.

Oh, don't worry about it! I knew it was an accident. Just wanted to let you know. :)

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 11:58:48 PM »
Well, sure, but if he exhibits a lack of professionalism and thinks everything is fair game for discussion, I can understand how people who work for him would think it was okay-ish.  (I don't think the extra who leaked the spoiler was right, far from it, but it bothers me somehow that he can tell the personal business of his employees in a worldwide forum and have that be okay because he's "the boss.")

How often have we said on this board that retaliatory rudeness is not proper? Ryan Murphy being a boor does not excuse the behavior of the extra.

As someone who works for an entertainment company, not as an extra, I can tell you they are *very* clear about who is allowed to speak to the media and who is not.

I apologize, that is not at all what I am trying to say.  It has just been my experience that professionalism and ethical standards begin at the top: if the boss is unprofessional, gossipy, and rude, the rest of the company is more likely to be so as well, whether it is appropriate or not.  I do not excuse the extra or think it is all right, I just wonder if some of Murphy's unprofessionalism "trickled down."  Obviously I don't know anything about the entertainment field specifically.  I don't believe I said before that the extra was excused or that the extra did the right thing, but just in case, let me say it clearly here: I don't think the extra's behavior was acceptable under any standard of professionalism in any field at all.  I'm truly sorry I brought it up.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 10:29:15 AM »
Chris, Cory, and Lea might have suspected it, but it still doesn't necessarily mean they knew for sure. I mean, the writers could stretch a school year over the course of 2 seasons if they wanted, which would mean that the characters could stay longer before they aged out.
The status is not quo!

Bright

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »
I don't watch Glee (so don't ask me what I'm doing posting here). Another site I'm on linked to  http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/exclusive-ryan-murphy-talks-for-first-time-about-glee-spinoff-show-firings-controversy/ and it seems relevant to this discussion.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 11:42:57 AM »
I don't watch Glee (so don't ask me what I'm doing posting here). Another site I'm on linked to  http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/exclusive-ryan-murphy-talks-for-first-time-about-glee-spinoff-show-firings-controversy/ and it seems relevant to this discussion.

Did that article give anyone else a headache? Murphy isn't a very good speaker, and the interviewer doesn't catch on very quickly.
The status is not quo!