Author Topic: Tipping in South Africa?  (Read 2232 times)

Kikki

Tipping in South Africa?
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »
I'm going on a business trip to Pretoria in September and wonder about the tipping culture in South Africa. I'm from a country where we don't tip very much at all (10% at restaurants and rounding up a bit in taxis, that's about it) and the colleagues I'll be travelling with are Japanese so I think they have even less of a clue than I do.
When should I tip and how much?

Also, we'll be there over a weekend. Is it feasible to go on a safari for those two days? Any recommendations for good trip organisers?

Stranger

• diligo ergo sum
Re: Tipping in South Africa?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »
*disclaimer* I haven't been in South Africa for almost 3 years, my information might be outdated *disclaimer*

Tipping at restaurants is standard. We usually tipped in the region of 15-20%, but a 10% tip is acceptable.

You would tip the porter at the airport and hotel (if they carry your luggage) and room service always appreciates a tip, although those are seldom given.

I never tipped a taxi driver (I'm not aware that tips are expected there).

You could have a wonderful day trip to places like The Lion and Rhino Park http://www.rhinolion.co.za/newsite/default.asp and the Cradle of Humankind http://www.cradleofhumankind.co.za/index.html (it is a world Heritage Site!

I'm sure your hotel can arrange these outings, and I would make every effort to go if I were you.

Enjoy your trip - South Africa is a wonderful country with vibrant, friendly people  :D

iradney

• DoSWMBO
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:37:08 AM »
First of all - you're going to have a BLAST in South Africa :) Secondly, it might be a little chilly, so I would reccomend packing at least one jersey (it's 1 degree here at the moment  :( )

With regards to tipping, the standard is 10%. Hubster and myself will tip up to 50% for brilliant service, but we've only once not left a tip, and that was for a server that was terribly rude.

I POD Stranger wrt the Lion and Rhino park, and Cradle of Humankind. Stunning places to visit!
“It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.”
-Thomas Huxley

Kikki

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:46:01 AM »
Thank you both!

I've booked the flight now! Love travelling but haven't been outside Europe yet this year (thanks to the earthquake and tsunami in March, had a trip to Japan booked but my boss didn't allow me to go...).

iradney

• DoSWMBO
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:37:21 AM »
If you can, try and go to Moyo (http://www.moyo.com/our-restaurants.aspx) it's a very nice African themed restaurant. And if you have the time (I know business trips leave little time for sightseeing), have a look at some of these places : http://www.sa-venues.com/attractionsga/pretoria-metro.htm
“It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.”
-Thomas Huxley

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »
Tipping is done, but when I've asked servers and restauranteurs about it, they say it's not a "must". Here it's more of a courtesy. I know people who will only leave the last few cents of their change, and people who will tip 15%. But most people tip around 10%. What I normally do is figure out what 10% of the bill is, add the two figures together, and then round it up. So if the bill came to say R152.50, that's a tip of R15. You end up with R167.50. So I round it up and leave a tip of R17.50, making my total R170.

Are you only staying in Pretoria? Cause Jo'Burg has some great places too. Definitely try to make it to the Apartheid Museum if you get to Jo'Burg itself.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Kikki

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
That is the kind of tipping we do in Sweden as well, about 10% and round it up to a nice even number.

Yup, only Pretoria. The company I'll be visiting is located there. I haven't yet discussed with my Japanese co workers what we are going to do during the weekend but I sent them the links I got to see if they think it sounds interesting or see if they have other ideas.

I must admit I'm a bit weirded out by the fact that my total flying time will be just over 13 hours but I'm still in the same time zone. I'm not used to travelling so far away and not get jet lagged, LOL!

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:56:30 AM »
Yup, only Pretoria. The company I'll be visiting is located there. I haven't yet discussed with my Japanese co workers what we are going to do during the weekend but I sent them the links I got to see if they think it sounds interesting or see if they have other ideas.

Go on the Gautrain!! It's awesome!  :D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)