Author Topic: Figuring out who they are?  (Read 2103 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Figuring out who they are?
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:12:18 PM »
Is there somewhere that shows history of name changes or their master name?

I get confused when people post and I don't recognize their name at all but see that they have many posts/stars etc.  Especially if I recognize their posting style/they way they write.

Are we allowed to ask what their names were or if they are this poster etc?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Figuring out who they are?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »
When most people do name changes, they put their old name in the thingy underneath their names.  It's not a formal rule, but I think it should be kind of one.  At least for a month or two until people get used to the new name.

It's not rude to ask if they're the same person (as far as I know).  I can't see why it would be.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »
Sometimes, they will also post in the introductions thread to introduce their new name.

And very occasionally, someone changes their name to hide from someone in real life.

If there is nothing listed under their name or there is no intro thread, I don't think anyone would mind if you PM'd them to ask their former name.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:39:07 PM »
Sometimes, they will also post in the introductions thread to introduce their new name.

And very occasionally, someone changes their name to hide from someone in real life.

If there is nothing listed under their name or there is no intro thread, I don't think anyone would mind if you PM'd them to ask their former name.

Okay, wasn't sure if there was an unspoken policy on asking them if they are this poster etc.

blahblahblah

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 04:38:10 PM »
If you feel like being sneakier about it ;D, you could always do a search with the poster's new username to see older posts they've made. Those older posts will also feature the new username, but if someone happened to quote them, the quote tree will feature the old name.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 06:01:41 PM »
If you feel like being sneakier about it ;D , you could always do a search with the poster's new username to see older posts they've made. Those older posts will also feature the new username, but if someone happened to quote them, the quote tree will feature the old name.

Really???  Off to look...bwahahaha.  ;)