Author Topic: Baiting?  (Read 4104 times)

SiotehCat

Baiting?
« on: July 30, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »
Ive seen this term come up before on this board, but I don't know what it means. I can kinda almost figure it out, but then someone else will use it differently.

So, I assume its about fishing. Ive seen the expression "take the bait" before, so maybe its kind of similar or maybe even the same? So, when someone accuses another person of baiting, what are they accusing them of? Could someone please explain?

Also, whatever way its meant, isn't it rude to accuse someone of "baiting" you? Is it rude to ask someone to stop "baiting" you because it implies that they are baiting you and thats a bad thing?

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
Re: Baiting?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
I believe it refers to goading or provoking a response from someone...usually when that response is engaging in a back and forth arguing.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 06:17:38 PM »
Baiting: to persecute or exasperate with unjust, malicious, or persistent attacks, as defined by Merriam-Webster. Needling is another way to put it, as can be trolling.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Ondine

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
I would also say it is hitting on a topic that the other does have an emotional attachment to - which is rude by any means. Basically, to get a reaction out of another.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
It is a form of trolling as well.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »
Basically "baiting" is posting something in hopes of reeling in a reaction.  I did a quick Google search for "forum baiting" & the first link to pop up explained it very well: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flame%20bait

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

SiotehCat

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
Thanks everyone! I didn't even think to do a google search because I had only ever seen the term here. The explanation seems simple enough. I think I was just overthinking it or underthinking it. I dont know. My brain is doing funny things today.

Thanks again.

Nanny Ogg

• The Shrinking Lady!
    • For Your Paws
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »
Hehe, this might help.... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=forum+baiting

(Sorry, I'm just teasing but there's no "tongue in cheek" emoticon!  ;))

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Hehe, this might help.... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=forum+baiting

(Sorry, I'm just teasing but there's no "tongue in cheek" emoticon!  ;) )

You need to show me how to do that, I know a few times I could have used that!

At least you didn't say, "Eh speaking foreign?"