Author Topic: Commenting on posting style?  (Read 10077 times)

Allyson

Re: Commenting on posting style?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 02:54:36 AM »
Yeah..it's one of my peeves when someone will specifically go out of their way to only thank people who agree with them. It just seems so rude, like you're saying 'no thanks at all to those who don't agree with me!'

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »

As for style..I've noticed lately a few newish (I think?) posters with really, really dramatic stories. A lot of them, in every thread they post in. It's a little difficult for me not to start wondering at the veracity of some of it, especially when they seem to meet *so* many people who treat them badly. I mean, I have no idea, all of it could be totally true, and I'm not sure if there's something in 'style' there that could change to make it seem a little less questionable. There are also lots of people who have a lot of odd encounters who I never question, so it might just be me!

I know what you mean... I have had a couple of side eye reactions at times, but then step back and look at my own posts. I am sure a good number of them seem outlandish and hard to believe.  I can remember a really old one in particular that I debated not updating because the updates were clinically insane and I figured no one would believe me. But I couldn't keep the hilarity from the board, so I figured I would handle the fallout if someone thought I was exaggerating.

Found it! And people were asking for updates... too funny.  ;D

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=29767.0
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=41896.0

My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
I think there is a lot to be said for thanking people for their responses.  Whether or not you find them helpful for not, if you did ask for advice, its always nice and polite to thank everyone.

POD. I think this is also a good way for the OP to let people know if they're satisfied with the sort of responses they've gotten, or if they still have questions/concerns that no one has addressed. Start off with genuine thanks for people taking the time to respond, and then segue into something like, "Does anyone have further advice on what I should actually SAY the next time I see her? I'm still conflicted about this part."
~Lynn2000

Gabrielle

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »

As for style..I've noticed lately a few newish (I think?) posters with really, really dramatic stories. A lot of them, in every thread they post in. It's a little difficult for me not to start wondering at the veracity of some of it, especially when they seem to meet *so* many people who treat them badly. I mean, I have no idea, all of it could be totally true, and I'm not sure if there's something in 'style' there that could change to make it seem a little less questionable. There are also lots of people who have a lot of odd encounters who I never question, so it might just be me!

I know what you mean... I have had a couple of side eye reactions at times, but then step back and look at my own posts. I am sure a good number of them seem outlandish and hard to believe.  I can remember a really old one in particular that I debated not updating because the updates were clinically insane and I figured no one would believe me. But I couldn't keep the hilarity from the board, so I figured I would handle the fallout if someone thought I was exaggerating.

Found it! And people were asking for updates... too funny.  ;D

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=29767.0
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=41896.0

I think that's the nature of the boards though. I'm not going to post a whole thread about the run of the mill guys who were threatening to me at work, or the lady who gave me a nasty glare in the street. In my head i've got this idea that an incident has to be interesting enough for the boards - so it's only the outlandish and unbelievable situations that make it here. And then of course there's that old saying that truth is stranger than fiction. When I write down all of the odd things about my family it does look like I'm making things up because it's SO unbelievable.