Author Topic: No, I'm not going to start drama. (Kinda Long)  (Read 6940 times)

Ginya

No, I'm not going to start drama. (Kinda Long)
« on: July 26, 2011, 02:33:41 PM »
BG:
My mum and her sister(my aunt) have never really gotten along. They're 11 years apart, my grand parents thought she would be their only child and spoiled her, then a wonderful surprise here comes mum. Aunt was not happy about it and apparently that's where this all starts. They've tried over the last 10 years or so to be civil and friendly but the last two years things went down the drain. Around that time aunt had a mental break and had to be hospitalized and never fully recovered to her old self. Mum and aunt have had several rows around holidays, mostly through email and almost all contact has stopped but we still run into them around town. It isn't a small town but for whatever reason we still see them at a distance constantly. Our town has a very large car show that pretty much takes over the town that happened two weekends ago, and we ended up sitting not far from them during the cruise. This conversation takes place the next day.
End BG:

I was sitting in the kitchen with mum when I get a notification on my phone. Uncle wants to be friends with you on FB. I point it out to mum who says "Oh that's just Aunt, Uncle doesn't even use it. She just uses it so she can friend people and see their information and statuses." While I'm not sure this is fact, I haven't been in contact with them in years. Longer than their fall out and I have no real desire to share my life so I hit "Ignore" and block the account from sending more requests.

A while later mum says to me "You should send a message asking why they want to be your friend." I gave my mum a look like she was crazy and said "No, why would I want to do that?" Mum repeats the same thing again, "Just send a message with just 'why' and see what they say." This time I firmly say "No. I am not engaging in family drama I have no wish to be a part of."

She then dropped it and we move on.  ;D Thank you eHell!

CaffeineKatie

Re: No, I'm not going to start drama. (Kinda Long)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
Well done!

gingerzing

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »
Well, done not engaging in crazy.  There is no reason to contact them if you aren't going to friend them, even to ask why.  "Why would I want to do that?" is much nicer to say than what I was thinking (Don't know, Don't Care, Won't Bother.)   :D

boxy

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:21:20 PM »
Good for you!  That was a great way to handle things!