Etiquette School is in session! > "So kind of you to take an interest."

Are you sure you're not pregnant?

(1/12) > >>

oz diva:
I'm hoping I'm not the only person to have had someone insist that you are pregnant, when in fact you are most definitely not. I was chatting to a friend who had this problem this week:
Rude Person: Hi K, are you pregnant?
K: No, I'm not.
RP: Are you sure?
K: Yes
RP: Are you really sure?
K: Yes (sotto vocce Aunt Flo came visiting today).

Now Rude Person is really clueless because she told another overweight person that she couldn't feel cold with all that insulation.  :o But what do you do when clueless peope insist that you are pregnant. It's happened to me on a couple of occasions. For the record I am 5'10" and have a bit of a tummy.

Samantha:
You aren't alone. When I was 13, I was asked by a classmate when I was due. I hadn't even had my first kiss yet!

And last summer, I took Wally (my boyfriend) to the emergency room, as he kept getting sick. We'd actually been joking for a month that he was carrying my lovechild, and how horrible morning sickness can be (this was when it was only once a week he was getting sick). Then he started getting sick more frequently, and one Saturday, he was sick several times in an hour.

Once he was back in a room and undergoing tests, I was asked at least six times by four different people if I was pregnant (three nurses, and the doctor). They thought he was maybe having sympathy sickness, until I told them that if I was pregnant it was news to me, but I'd be happy to take a pregnancy test if it would get them to STOP ASKING ME!

MrsJWine:
"Do you know something I don't, or have you been watching Rosemary's Baby again?"

StarDrifter:
grrrr this sort of thing sets my teeth on edge.

I'm 6ft tall and a little overweight, plus Ace and I have been married for 18 months. One of Ace's aunts (Clueless) insists that I must be pregnant, to the point that she informed Ace's *grandmother* that I was, and was just waiting until after her daughters' wedding to announce it, so as not to 'steal the spotlight'.

If I am pregnant, it's news to me. And I'm pretty sure that the person whose body is gestating would be the first to know.

Besides that, I was always told "Unless she's in labour, it's extremely rude to ask about someone else's reproductive status."

oz diva:
Yes, I always say, unless you see the head crowning, don't assume anything.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version