Author Topic: Are you sure you're not pregnant?  (Read 30090 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Are you sure you're not pregnant?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »

If I am pregnant, it's news to me. And I'm pretty sure that the person whose body is gestating would be the first to know.
Not necessarily.  My SIL asked if I was pregnant several weeks before I began to suspect. 

I would try an icy, "I beg your pardon" repeated until the questioner abandons their inquiry.  I had the opposite problem with my daughter though.  Until midway through the five month mark.  Sometimes you can't win for losing.   ::)

Loren kept insisting that Sis was pregnant with her little brother a couple of weeks before Sis knew she was pregnant and long time before she knew it was a boy. 2 yo get a pass on this particular rule.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »

If I am pregnant, it's news to me. And I'm pretty sure that the person whose body is gestating would be the first to know.
Not necessarily.  My SIL asked if I was pregnant several weeks before I began to suspect. 

I would try an icy, "I beg your pardon" repeated until the questioner abandons their inquiry.  I had the opposite problem with my daughter though.  Until midway through the five month mark.  Sometimes you can't win for losing.   ::)

Loren kept insisting that Sis was pregnant with her little brother a couple of weeks before Sis knew she was pregnant and long time before she knew it was a boy. 2 yo get a pass on this particular rule.

I had this too - a couple of people suddenly insisting I was pregnant when the thought hadn't even occurred to me.  Crazy!  They weren't rude people who always asked me either, so maybe they sensed something.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Emmy

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
--Ar you sure you're not pregnant? Really ? Because you must be. Blah blah...

--You know, you're right. How could I have forgotten??  ... Ooh. ...  I think my water's about to break. You'd better step back. :Bend over/grimace/etc.:

>:D

Love that reply  ;D

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »
I went to the ER several years ago and the admissions clerk just became surly over the fact I told her I was not pregnant, and I understand people lie but it just became ridiculous.  She finally said, in not a very nice tone, "How do you know that you aren't pregnant?"  I looked her square in the face and said, "I haven't been exposed."  She laughed and then began sharing what I said with her coworkers.  Oh how I wish I had a better spine then, but I carried my point.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 04:49:55 PM »
Oh, dear, doesn't the Vatican have enough to deal with right now?   ;D

Asharah

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »
Quote from Xena: Warrior Princess "Getting pregnant involves certain physical requirements that I have not met for a long time. And I mean a REALLY long time."
Asharah

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 02:55:56 AM »
Quote from Xena: Warrior Princess "Getting pregnant involves certain physical requirements that I have not met for a long time. And I mean a REALLY long time."

*sigh* you just reminded me why I loved Xena so much - not the corny costumes and silly plot, but the fabulous lines!!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 02:57:02 PM »

I didn't find out I was expecting until I was 6 months gone. To everyone else (including my mum and DF's mum who have had 5 kids between them), I just looked like I had put a bit of weight on. :)

POD to the "I beg your pardon" idea. :D xxx
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »

I've been able to tell if a woman's pregnant with pretty good accuracy. However, I've never said anything to the women, because 1.) that's rude and 2.) that's creepy.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
I went to the ER several years ago and the admissions clerk just became surly over the fact I told her I was not pregnant, and I understand people lie but it just became ridiculous.  She finally said, in not a very nice tone, "How do you know that you aren't pregnant?"  I looked her square in the face and said, "I haven't been exposed."  She laughed and then began sharing what I said with her coworkers.  Oh how I wish I had a better spine then, but I carried my point.

Bolding mine. 

Now that's[/i] professional and courteous.  (Rolls eyes)
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

gingerzing

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »

Bolding mine. 

Now that's[/i] professional and courteous.  (Rolls eyes)

Grant you that the clerk/tech wasn't professional, but the fact that Animala said something that got the clerk out of the focus that she had (I think the final tone was not professional) made the clerk realize that she had crossed a line with her tone.  The clerk/tech may have had a long day and yes people do lie about it.  And getting something so well stated probably made her day better.   
Animala, did it bother you that she shared that comment?  I think it sounded less like she was making fun of Animala and more like she was sharing a really good joke...even if it was sort of on her.

MrTango

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »
Some kid (who looked like he was in kindergarten) at my parents' church once came up to me and asked if I was pregnant.   ???

I looked right at the kid and said, "No, I'm not.  In fact, it's not possible for me to be pregnant."
"Why not?" he asked.
"Um, well, er"...[me searching for a way to tell a 5-year-old who I've never met before that I lack the required hardware]..."I'm a man?"

Trellia

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 12:13:57 PM »
I got asked by a customer at work one year when I was due, and was so flabbergasted that I kind of stuttered a reply that I wasn't pregnant. I was wearing a kurta over a drawstring skirt tied with a bow, and the bow made the kurta puff out a little. I never wore those two pieces at the same time at work again.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 05:50:12 AM »
Some kid (who looked like he was in kindergarten) at my parents' church once came up to me and asked if I was pregnant.   ???

I looked right at the kid and said, "No, I'm not.  In fact, it's not possible for me to be pregnant."
"Why not?" he asked.
"Um, well, er"...[me searching for a way to tell a 5-year-old who I've never met before that I lack the required hardware]..."I'm a man?"

Now, don't let a little thing like a lack of uterus get in the way MrTango. If you want to deliver a baby, you go right on ahead.   ;D

Victoria

Suzume

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »
At my last job, right after I got married, anytime I felt sick, the boss would rush over and insist I was pregnant and do the whole "Are you sure? How do you know?" I wish I'd told her to butt out. My sex life is no one's business. Just to get her to go away I'd say something like "God I hope not." (And 8 years later I still don't have kids - no money to afford them unfortunately, so we've been careful.)

My grandma used to declare "You're pregnant!" anytime my sister had a stomach ache when we were growing up. She only did it to me once, after I was married. I didn't have the wild girl reputation that my sister did at the time, but I was still offended that anyone would make assumptions about me.

I've learned not to complain about being sick within earshot of people like that because it's just an excuse for them to use their favorite phrase.  >:(