Author Topic: jeans for walking  (Read 4151 times)

Ligeia

Re: jeans for walking
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 01:42:00 AM »
For a day hike on a dry trail in cool weather, loose fitting jeans are probably fine, but for backpacking  or anything where you might come across water, it's nylon all the way. Around here they refer to the ABCs of hiking: anything but cotton.

Yeah--I'm in the US, and I've always heard that "cotton kills."  However, I've always understood that that motto is reserved for serious hikes on really rugged trails--and in cool weather.  There aren't too many places to do that sort of hiking near where I live; when I go to the mountains, I usually do 1 to 3-mile trails, and usually wear cotton leggings or shorts.  It's highly unlikely you'd die of hypothermia on those particular trails, even in winter!

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 05:55:30 AM »
I'm English, and don't wear jeans for walking. If they get wet they are horribly heavy, rub your legs and are nasty and cold.
NE England

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 08:31:13 PM »
Jeans are seen as more durable - thought I don't get the attraction here in the subtropics. I always were cotton pants that wick away the sweat and such. I could die in nylon.

Jeans were always the required clothing for horseback riding, and day hikes growing up. With the girl scouts the leaders knew my parents and I well enough to allow me to substituted lighter cotton slacks. Sleep away wouldn't budge I had to have jeans for Horseback riding. The 1st year I managed to get the first class of the day, followed by swimming. That kept things manageable.

2nd year at sleep away camp they let me drop horseback riding(required class). Starting the 2nd week of camp, I was missing the classes after horseback riding, because I was in the clinic sobbing in pain. (This fact scared my parents and concerned my doctors because I rarely cried from the pain of a reaction)

With the nurse putting ice packs on my legs. After talking to my Mom, the nurse talked to both my pediatrician and dermatologist. They sent up topical and oral steroids. The nurse went to the head of camp and made her come see me in the clinic. Another round of calls to my parents and doctors they moved me from horseback riding to life saving. (I was too young for the certification, but a strong swimmer who more than held my own.) Water + sun helped clear things up faster.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »
I wouldn't wear jeans for any physically exerting activity, personally. They are too heavy and not the most comfortable option. I would choose leggings, yoga pants, sweats, or similar, based on the temperature.

Years ago I went on a combination bus/backpacking trip in Scotland, and I had brought nothing but jeans. Bad idea. I was cold and wet a lot of the time.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 02:50:57 AM »
Southern US desert.  I was taught to always wear jeans while on hikes or walking.  They basically afford you an extra layer of protection against things like bug bites, snake bites, and poison ivy, amongst other ailments, minor or major.  :)  Plus, they ward off sunburn!

You're also told to wear long sleeved shirts and a hat (preferably), but I kind of forgo both of those for no hat and a short sleeved shirt.  :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »
We don't do extended hiking.  We can understand why jeans are not quite appropriate for that sort of excursion.  We do live in an area where Lyme disease is fairly prevalent in wooded areas.  For a day walk in that sort of place, jeans are the garments of choice. 

A stout pair of denims with a socks pulled up over the hems is a good way to keep the ticks from getting to you. 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 02:56:35 PM »
Jeans are great if you're not going to get wet--they're durable and they help keep the buggies out!

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »
When I did more serious hiking, I never wore jeans, but most of the references I saw recommended against jeans.

Interesting topic.  I had to think about that one.

When I hiked into the everglades, we wore jeans due to the alligators/saw grass/snakes etc.  But I wore black rubber suspender pants for the dryness when crossing the swamps/marsh.

When I was in the west, we also wore jeans to keep the sun off our legs.

In snow though I never if rarely wear jeans.  I found that it doesn't warm me and snow sticks to me like glue!  I wear khakis with snow pants and then boots.  Cumbersome but much better than stiff cold jeans with caked on snow.

Those must be some heavy jeans to protect against alligators  ;D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 03:23:30 PM »
I'd wear jeans for everything except PJ's if i could. Light ones for summer, thick or flannel lined ones for winter ... love 'em. Most of my hiking has been around the NJ Pine Barrens and jeans are a good choice there.

The one time in January when i slipped into what i assume was quick sand it would not have mattered what i was wearing. One minute i was walking along, the next there was freezing water up to my chest. I ended up getting naked and sitting in the truck (again)  :P

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 03:24:56 PM »
When I did more serious hiking, I never wore jeans, but most of the references I saw recommended against jeans.

Interesting topic.  I had to think about that one.

When I hiked into the everglades, we wore jeans due to the alligators/saw grass/snakes etc.  But I wore black rubber suspender pants for the dryness when crossing the swamps/marsh.

When I was in the west, we also wore jeans to keep the sun off our legs.

In snow though I never if rarely wear jeans.  I found that it doesn't warm me and snow sticks to me like glue!  I wear khakis with snow pants and then boots.  Cumbersome but much better than stiff cold jeans with caked on snow.

Those must be some heavy jeans to protect against alligators  ;D

Kevlar  ;D

...i'm not the OP, but those things are amazing.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem