News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 06:00:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Grammar Posters" in the office - are these rude?  (Read 10202 times)

Dindrane

Re: "Grammar Posters" in the office - are these rude?
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »
I think you've done the best things you can to address and hopefully correct this problem.

In the end, if what you're dealing with is people who know how to write, but don't care enough to proofread what they're putting on paper, that's not an education issue.  They know the grammar rules.  It's a performance issue, because you have asked them to do something and they are (essentially) refusing.

Even if the process of terminating an under-performing employee can be slow, documenting that they are under-performing (by spot checking emails and tallying up errors in official documents) is only going to support your claim that you clearly communicated your expectations, you gave them opportunities to improve, and they failed to do so.

I also really, truly do not think it is a "kids these days" problem.  Education certainly is a problem, because I know for a fact I, at least, was never taught grammar in a formal and consistent way.  What grammar I can actually explain I learned mostly in foreign language classes.  I know syntax (which isn't the same thing) because of standardized testing.  There are also rules of grammar that I follow very consistently, but which I couldn't explain to another person to save my life, because I picked them up mostly on my own from reading.  I am 26, couldn't diagram a sentence to save my life, and writing is one of the reasons I excel in my own job.  So the generational differences in education certainly are not helping, but I don't think that can be blamed entirely for the situation you find yourself in.

jaxsue

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 10:20:13 AM »
I think you handled this perfectly, so I don't have anything to add except this: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

I love it! Thanks for posting this. I appreciate it alot.  ;D

PoisonIvy

• Made in the 70s, stuck in the 60s. Yeah, baby!
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
I think you handled this perfectly, so I don't have anything to add except this: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

I love Hyperbole and a Half!  I absolutely cried with laughter at "God of Cake" and "Sneaky Hate Spiral" too.
expat in

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »

I love Hyperbole and a Half!  I absolutely cried with laughter at "God of Cake" and "Sneaky Hate Spiral" too.

I almost choked to death reading God of Cake. I have a mug on my desk with a wide-eyed drawing of Allie that says, "PARP?" I also have a poster of the better pain chart. Oh, and I have a Responsibility Champion mug at home.  ;D
The status is not quo!

Balletmom

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »
 I cannot wait to check out these websites.

OP,  why can't you do both? Bring it up in a meeting and put some posters up for those who need help. It's no different than the safety rule posters industrial sites have to post.

However, I may be slightly biased, since I have posters like that up all the time in my workplace--in my classroom.  ;D

PoisonIvy

• Made in the 70s, stuck in the 60s. Yeah, baby!
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »
Quote from: Balletmom link=topic=99523.msg2444884#msg2444884 date=
However, I may be slightly biased, since I have posters like that up all the time in my workplace--in my classroom.  ;D

I would have loved to have a teacher like you! Most of mine were so boring.
expat in

AtraBecca

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 10:33:04 PM »
Wow, that poster on the difference between ie and eg was the best tutorial I've ever seen. :) They might be a bit rude but they could be quite effective! I would suggest doing it.  ;D

Balletmom

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 06:26:42 PM »
Quote from: Balletmom link=topic=99523.msg2444884#msg2444884 date=

I would have loved to have a teacher like you! Most of mine were so boring.

Oh, they're more straight forward...just plain grammar posters. Still, I have a reputation for being funny, just because I really find it's nicer to say something in a humorous way than straight forward boring. I had one very solemn, straight faced little boy who I told his mother was like a little Gary Cooper in the classroom. I could never tell if he was even the slightest big amused. Come to find out, he regaled his mother daily with things he thought I said were funny.

I like to use Far Side cartoons to teach inferencing.  ;D