General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

Wicked Witches: I Think This Is Overreacting

(1/11) > >>

Asharah:
My husband's older brother got married about a year before we did. They live about an hour away from us and his parents, and so we were of course all staying in the same hotel. My husband and his younger brother left early for the church, since of course they were in the wedding party, so my now-in-laws said that I could ride to the church with them. I was ready before they were and beat them down to the lobby. They arrived a few minutes after me, and when the elevator doors opened, my jaw hit the floor. There stood my husband's mother in a floor-length, strapless, white satin gown!!! She said, "Do you like my dress?" All I could say was, "Yes."   First the story was that she had no idea she wasn't supposed to wear white...then we found out that she had called my sister-in-law a few weeks before the wedding, after the dress had been purchased and altered, and asked if she minded if her dress was white. My sister-in-law, who is the nicest person in the world, didn't feel like she had much choice!    Everyone knew she did this because she never had a "real" wedding...she and my father-in-law got married in the courthouse. But still, that's no excuse to hijack someone else's wedding!!!
Asharah's comment: First, it wasn't OP's wedding. Plus, since it's a year to her wedding, she has ample opportunity to tell FMIL "Don't even think about wearing that to my wedding!" Second, does she really know it bothered the bride to have FMIL wear white? Third, wearing white alone isn't enough to hijack a wedding. Just ignore her. If you're worried about it messing up the family photos, just put her in the back row and have the other family members stand in front of her so you can't see the dress. If this is the worst thing that happens at ypur wedding you got off easy.

WickedWitches0126-08

SiotehCat:
I agree. It wouldn't bother me even a little bit if my mother wore white to my wedding. I think if the bride/groom are fine with it, then thats all that matters.

Animala:
It sounds like it was just more than the MIL wearing the dress.  It sounds like she expected to take attention away from the HC.  If that is true it was extremely rude.

Lashley:
I do think it's rude. I don't blame the OP for being appalled by it - on the one hand, it's just a color. I get that. But on the other hand, everyone (at least in the U.S.) knows there is a general rule that wearing white to a wedding is a faux pas, and for the groom's mother to do it? It doesn't sound like a case of cluelessness. It sounds like she did it on purpose, and it's hard to take that as anything but "a message."

SiotehCat:

--- Quote from: Animala on July 31, 2011, 01:15:47 PM ---It sounds like it was just more than the MIL wearing the dress.  It sounds like she expected to take attention away from the HC.  If that is true it was extremely rude.

--- End quote ---

If the bride and groom don't feel that way, then is it still rude?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version