Author Topic: Wicked Witches: I Think This Is Overreacting  (Read 15511 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Wicked Witches: I Think This Is Overreacting
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »
I suspect that the wedding would bring out the worst in Jocasta.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »
I just got reminded of this thread!

http://live.washingtonpost.com/carolyn-hax-live-130823.html

It's entitled "Drugged out Wedding Party"

the groom gets up to make a toast (which strikes us as unusual: in traditional wedding etiquette, the groom only makes a toast if he is toasting his bride's family; we would soon find out how unusual this really was). He makes the announcement that he is toasting "the second most important woman in my life" (yikes, we think, what is going on in his mind?): "after Mom, my new wife 'Trixie' (name changed to protect the naive)". His new bride--my wife's cousin--just beams. My brothers-in-law disintegrate into uncontrollable laughter; I sadly shake my head. We all wonder how long this marriage will last, and really wonder how long it will last when the groom later on sits on Mama's lap. The marriage didn't last a year, if that long (it was a little over 30 years ago).

Gee, I'm so surprised it didn't work out! /sarcasm
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

missmolly

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
I'm sorry, where did the OP actually overreact? She was asked directly by MIL if she liked the dress and she said yes. She didn't say no, she didn't tell MIL she was a pathetic attention-seeker and she didn't frog march MIL upstairs to change into something appropriate.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Asharah

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »
I'm sorry, where did the OP actually overreact? She was asked directly by MIL if she liked the dress and she said yes. She didn't say no, she didn't tell MIL she was a pathetic attention-seeker and she didn't frog march MIL upstairs to change into something appropriate.
My feeling is OP is overreacting because it's not her wedding and there is no indication she talked to the bride about it, so she has no idea if bride was really upset or not.
Asharah

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2014, 03:41:24 AM »

Agree! If anything the OP underreacted!

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2014, 03:54:09 AM »
My feeling is OP is overreacting because it's not her wedding and there is no indication she talked to the bride about it, so she has no idea if bride was really upset or not.

She said:   My sister-in-law, who is the nicest person in the world, didn't feel like she had much choice!

I assume she has this directly from the SIL seeing she includes it as part of the information they found out later.    The way it's worded implies that's firsthand knowledge of what the SIL felt/conveyed, not that she's speculating.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

miranova

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »

I think the question people are trying to ask is, what did the letter writer actually do that can be thought of as overreacting?  We must be using the word differently because I don't think someone simply thinking that something is rude can be described as overreacting if they don't do anything rude.