Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 46010 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #555 on: January 21, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »
Me too.  I might have a crush on RDJr. :) Anyone hear him sing with Sting? *swoon!*
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #556 on: January 21, 2014, 11:00:25 PM »
So, I watched the Tales from the TARDIS special on BBC America tonight.  And in the interview parts, they had Tom Baker.  Since I only heard his voice, I thought it was a way back interview thingie.  Nope, he's alive.

I now have to move him from actors I thought were dead to actors who are really alive.  *Facepalm*  I feel like such a bad Whovian thinking the fourth Doctor's actor was dead.  Maybe it's because Elisabeth Sladen died in 2011, so my mind thought he was gone too?  Meh.  Don't know.
He was the very odd narrator in Little Britain, in case you ever saw that show. He has such a distinctive voice.

Victoria

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #557 on: April 11, 2014, 11:12:56 AM »
Over the past few years, I have become more involved in internet chats and forums.

On several, people use all caps and say that is the only way they can see. I know seeing characters on a computer screen is different than vision outside, but I have also noticed a lot of the same people mention that they are driving, even though they say their sight is bad in general.

I know in the US, there are minimum vision standards to get and maintain a driving license, and I was curious if that is the case in other places.

I am very near sighted and had a -6.0 RX at one time, which is down to -4.0 now, and I wear progressive bifocals for close work and reading.

Visual disabilities can vary greatly. What do you think?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #558 on: April 11, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
Lady Knight,

It could be they are farsighted.   They can see fine for driving and such  but up close is super lousy.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #559 on: April 11, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
VorGuy has lost his original phone charger & is using a generic replacement.

He has lost his cell phone several times.  He is currently using my previous phone (kept as a spare & used to keep a battery charged so that he can swap that battery into his phone if he forgets to plug it in) - although the original did get turned in eventually to the Lost & Found and he has it.  I'm just not swapping the activation back this quickly.  So I need both of them to transfer the data to a micro SD card & then from the card to the phone he's using.

He mislays various other pocket contents and such on a regular basis.  He has been doing this the entire time we've been married, since he was 22 - so it is nothing NEW.   It's just no less annoying over 35 years ago than it was when we were newlyweds.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #560 on: April 11, 2014, 12:46:45 PM »
If he's using smartphones, there are apps that can help you locate lost phones.

I just wish my DH would use the stupid case I bought him for his phone. He keeps dropping the thing.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #561 on: April 11, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »
NOT a smart phone - he doesn't want to pay for the data plan and he knows he sets them down without remembering WHERE - so he has a "semi-smart" phone - it could text, etc. - if he had a data plan for it or was willing to pay the price for individual texts.

I have been known to grab my phone & call his so that we can track the ringing - only works if it's in the house with us.  If no ring tone starts, I check his car, or tell him to check his desk when he gets to work...

Sometimes he ends up at the lost & found before it turns up.  Sometimes, it's in the car...if he forgot to put it on the charger, I swap in the charged spare battery & he's good to go.  The "missing" charger might be at work or it might be in a suitcase from our vacation - he doesn't always unpack everything....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

AngelicGamer

« Reply #562 on: April 11, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »
Over the past few years, I have become more involved in internet chats and forums.

On several, people use all caps and say that is the only way they can see. I know seeing characters on a computer screen is different than vision outside, but I have also noticed a lot of the same people mention that they are driving, even though they say their sight is bad in general.

I know in the US, there are minimum vision standards to get and maintain a driving license, and I was curious if that is the case in other places.

I am very near sighted and had a -6.0 RX at one time, which is down to -4.0 now, and I wear progressive bifocals for close work and reading.

Visual disabilities can vary greatly. What do you think?

As someone with a visual disability, I would educate these all caps people on the zoom feature that web browsers (both Flamingvixen and Chrome, probably IE too) have.  In Chrome, they can just go to the menu and fix the zoom from there.  Plus, AIM will zoom in as well or they could change their text size in order to see.  Not sure what chat you're using, but the font change should help them the best instead of just zooming in.  If I started using all caps and went "it's the only way I could see", my friends would be telling me to just change the font already.  ;)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #563 on: April 11, 2014, 04:28:02 PM »
They do use the zoom function as well. I'm at a loss as to more suggestions.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #564 on: April 11, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »

Have they tried changing font size then?  Other than that, I'm not sure either. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

magicdomino

« Reply #565 on: April 11, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »

Have they tried changing font size then?  Other than that, I'm not sure either.

My sister changed to a larger font size.  Now the capital letters are REALLY BIG.

::)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #566 on: April 11, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »
...   Now the capital letters are REALLY BIG.

When I see whole sentences or even paragraphs written in all caps I just don't deal with it.  I skip reading it entirely. 

A couple of words for emphasis like the 'REALLY BIG' above is fine.  But for some reason I find it very hard to read a text that's all in caps.  It's kind of like my brain goes numb and I have to individually 'interpret' each word.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #567 on: April 11, 2014, 06:21:42 PM »
...   Now the capital letters are REALLY BIG.

When I see whole sentences or even paragraphs written in all caps I just don't deal with it.  I skip reading it entirely. 

A couple of words for emphasis like the 'REALLY BIG' above is fine.  But for some reason I find it very hard to read a text that's all in caps.  It's kind of like my brain goes numb and I have to individually 'interpret' each word.

It hurts my eyes!
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture