Author Topic: Any Asian horror lovers here?  (Read 301 times)

shadowfox79

Any Asian horror lovers here?
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:52:34 AM »
I am a great lover of horror movies, foreign-language ones included, and am particularly keen on Asian horror. However, while I've found some gems, there are an awful lot out there which, well - weren't.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good ones?

The ones I've seen and liked are:
Shutter
The Eye
Ju-On: The Grudge
Ring
One Missed Call
My Ex 2

Thanks!

Cherry91

Re: Any Asian horror lovers here?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:59:25 AM »
"Audition" is one a lot of Asian Horror film fans rave about. I've never been able to bring myself to watch it but apparently it is very good.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »
I'll have to think about it.

But did I ever tell the story about the time I washed my hair and when I unwrapped the towel, my long black hair fell all over my face and I scared myself? True story. :-[

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:17:27 AM »
I also liked Shutter, Ju-on: The Grudge and The Ring. I liked Dark Water. Here's what seems like a good list of others you might be interested in trying - http://www.cultreviews.com/articles/the-50-best-asian-horror-films/

Yarnspinner

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »
Ju-Rei is an interesting take on "Ju-on"....it's a curse story told backwards.  It DID scare me, but the caution  here is that it is badly directed and acted.  One scene, in which a victim is hiding from the curse ghost, goes on for so long, switching from her terrified face to the ghost's empty one that you want to shout "Hey, ghost!  SHE'S UNDER THE BED!!!!!"

Also "The Eye" which will keep you out of most hospitals. 

Does anyone look up the short, scary Asian horror/ghost stories on youtube?  I am a sucker for those and it's always late at night when I am in the mood.  No wonder I don't sleep.

edited:  I missed that you had listed The Eye.  Clearly I DO need more sleep.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:50:14 AM by Yarnspinner »

shadowfox79

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:46:54 AM »
MorgnsGrl, thanks for that link - I'll check it out. I'll also look up Ju-Rei and Audition. Forgot about Dark Water - I've seen the US version but not the original.

I didn't know about the ones on Youtube; I'll take a look.