Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 90691 times)

MsCopper

When I lived with my parents (but was not home) a rabid raccoon came right up to their front door! They had to call animal control, who shot it on the front lawn. They had to clean up the mess with bleach.

Before I moved to Missouri, I lived my entire life in the town where this happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire

It was a tragedy that could have been avoided. So sad. I'm glad your friends made it out safely! I remember the news comparing it to the coconut grove fire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoanut_Grove_fire 

One of my good friends was supposed to be at that show. He got called into work. I remember how angry he was when I talked to him. The next day He was speechless. Such a horrible fire. Horrible. :(

I knew a few people who were there and thankfully got out. That was a really horrible night.
"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday"

alkira6

Hmm,

While Dh(then BF) and I were still in college, we lived in housing right off campus. The area we lived in was a mishmash of Victorian houses converted into apartments, single family homes, duplexes, and small apartment buildings.  We lived in the bottom floor of a large Victorian.

Over the course of seven months there was:

The Fire: The single family house across the street from us caught on fire. We came to find out that they were not only selling pot that they grew in the basement (we already knew this) but also cooking meth (which we did not know).

The Shootout: I was at home asleep when I was woken up by squealing tires and crashing sounds. I go out on the front porch, and there are 4 cop cars surrounding a gun-weilding guy. I promply hit the floor and went back in, thank you very much. I called BF and informed him that I was moving and that he was welcome to come along if he wanted to, mostly due to...

The Dead Guy: BF was at work and I had gone out for some Taco Bell.  On the way back into our house, you have to go through an alley. Well at the mouth of the alley that I had to turn into, there was an ambulance and a cop car. Oh, yeah, and a dead guy laid out of the sidewalk. A homeless guy had apparently frozen to death beside a dumpster in the alley and some student walking home had found him.

These three things combined to make us move.

Now, years later, we are living in a really rundown neighborhood. We had rented a house and it didn't seem too bad. But, the first day I was in the backyard with the dog and a really rough looking man came up and said he needed to talk to me. I told him that, no, he really didn't, and he needed to leave. He proceeds to open the gate and come into the yard. He is warned that I will release my dog if he doesn't leave. He comes at me and I release my dog.

Did I mention that my dog is an extremely protective lab/Shepard mix?  >:D He had the guy on his back screaming like a wee little girl in seconds. The guy got away when I went inside to call the police. When they arrived they were more concerned about me showing proof that he had had his shots and had had some sort of training than they were about the crackhead who came into my yard.  ::)

We also had the rat lady next door, who was convinced that us feeding our dog was producing the rats under her house. No lady, if our dog can snatch crows out of the air and kill them when they try for his food, I'm sure that rats wouldn't stand a chance.

Ya know, reading this makes me really glad that we built our house on the edge of the city. Too many neighbors make the crazy. (then again, our current neighbor tried to fence off half of our yard and got mad when I protested, so maybe a nice yurt somewhere is the way to go.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:56:01 PM by alkira6 »

rain

(then again, our current neighbor tried to fence off half of our yard and got mad when I protested, so maybe a nice yurt somewhere is the way to go.)

you've got to post that story somewhere - the "snowflakes" thread perhaps - or its own thread 
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
The day I moved out of home into a shared unit with friends was pretty scary.

We got to sit on our balcony and watch the police and STAR Force (Aussie SWAT) block off the main road we were living on and as a guy got off the bus he was surrounded by all these police with automatic weapons drawn.

They eventually released him, and it turned out he was our downstairs neighbour! (Who turned out to be a horror, but that is another story!)

We found out later from some other neighbours that Horror Neighour worked in the infectious diseases unit of the hospital and was of the same nationality as those who caused the 9/11 tragedy. Since this was only a couple of months after 9/11 I guess they were on high alert.

It was quite a site to see!

LEMon

dawnfire

psychological intervention
This happened regularly when were living in a place 10 years ago. The guy on the corner was a paranoid schizophrenic who regularly when off his meds and *uh hum* self medicated with legal and illegal drugs. It usually culminated with him having a complete psycotic break, where they had to bring in what looked like a swat team to take him in for treatment.  This happened every 9 months or so.

upper combucketer west carpark aka nice parking up this tree
My old street is in the forest and is the valley between some very steep mountains. The houses were built on the sides of the mountains. The driveways wove their way down to the road. It had been a wet autumn. It had rained constantly  for about 4 days. It had reached a point where a critical mass had been obtained and a flash flood stuck. In the house down the road one of their car got picked up by the flood, carried down the driveway, through the fence (the driveway curved here), through the forest ending up  vertically resting on a tree. It was the strangest sight to see.

a town combines to catch a gunman
The basic lowdown a gunman on the run from Melbourne (which is only 20 or so km away). comes to town and is sighted by a few locals. The schools (2 primary and 1 secondry) and the nursing home went into lockdown. The local never comfronted him just kept the police appraised of the sightings and he was eventally caught at the far edge to town
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/armed-police-attend-whittlesea-a-day-after-teen-gunmans-rampage/story-e6frf7jo-1225882756566

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Quite a few times in my childhood, a woman attempted to kill herself. It almost was as normal as going to school in the morning - she would try twice a year, and the ambulance always came with lights flashing. It was actually really sad, though...I had to wonder what was so bad in this woman's life that twice a year, she'd try to kill herself, but no one seemed to be getting her any real help.  :'(
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
This is the yard of one of my neighbors:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/jenniferjo/3Points_neighbor_120605b.jpg

YIKES!  That is... wow... it's just...  You guys don't get much rain, do you?

Nope. It stays nice and shiny.  :D
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
This is the yard of one of my neighbors:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/jenniferjo/3Points_neighbor_120605b.jpg

YIKES!  That is... wow... it's just...  You guys don't get much rain, do you?
[/quote

Was my bad attempt at a "misdirected shock" joke... referencing the really dry grasses *behind* the guillotine.

Nope. It stays nice and shiny.  :D

Linley

• My life is not a democracy, YOU do not get a vote.
We had an older man living on our cul de sac a few years ago. His neighbor had left her grill too close to their shared fence and the fence caught on fire. He ran out of his front door wearing nothing but a short, frilly skirt and used his hose to put out the fire.
I do hope you meant his garden hose.... ;D

I had to read that story multiple times before I realized what kind of hose fey01 was talking about.  ;)

I'm the kid who has this habit of dreaming
Sometimes gets me in trouble too
But the truth is I could no more stop dreaming
Than I could make them all come true.

-Cry, Cry, Cry- "The Kid"

2littlemonkeys

jpcher!   :o  I can't even comprehend how terrifying that must have been.

The rabid raccoon story reminded me of something that happened in a n'hood not far from mine.

A few years ago, a cougar wandered into a residential neighborhood and was roaming around people's backyards.  Animal Control came in and removed the animal but I get sick to my stomach just thinking about how easily this could have been worse than it was. 

LeeLee88

We had an older man living on our cul de sac a few years ago. His neighbor had left her grill too close to their shared fence and the fence caught on fire. He ran out of his front door wearing nothing but a short, frilly skirt and used his hose to put out the fire.
I do hope you meant his garden hose.... ;D

I had to read that story multiple times before I realized what kind of hose fey01 was talking about.  ;)

Me too, I was sitting there thinking, "But wouldn't they melt?  And they'd just fly up everywhere... that's not heavy enough to squish a fire... do cross-dressers have different type of hose?  Hrrrmmmmmm...."  ::)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.

The rabid raccoon story reminded me of something that happened in a n'hood not far from mine.

A few years ago, a cougar wandered into a residential neighborhood and was roaming around people's backyards.  Animal Control came in and removed the animal but I get sick to my stomach just thinking about how easily this could have been worse than it was. 

I once worked for a dog rescue group and took an Anatolian shepherd from the pound to foster for them. He'd been caught in a relatively rural part of the city and had been captured after a helicopter chase - he was so big he'd been called in as a mountain lion.

So of course I named him Puma.

This is an Anatolian shepherd:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:54:21 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!

I once worked for a dog rescue group and took an Anatolian shepherd from the pound to foster for them. He'd been caught in a relatively rural part of the city and had been captured after a helicopter chase - he was so big he'd been called in as a mountain lion.

So of course I named him Puma.

This is an Anatolian shepherd:

He's beautiful! What kind of disposition does this breed have?

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
One morning I had just woken up when there was a knock on my apartment door. I look through the peephole to see two U.S. Marshals. I opened the door and they showed me a picture of some young man and asked if I had seen him around. The answer was no, I had never seen him. They thanked me and went on their merry way.

It just wasn't something I expected at 8 in the morning.   ::)