Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 98862 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Corbin wins the thread.

BarensMom

Corbin's mom deserved a medal for bravery in the line of fire.  Makes my little story seem tame.

I came home one afternoon to all four of the city's police cars lined up in front of my house.  Apparently some "friends" of the renter's teenagers next door got angry and did a drive-by, shooting up their garage door (they were apparently lousy shots).  I got home just in time to see my husband walk over to the kids and ask "Friends of yours?" 

Corbin

Corbin wins the thread.
Nope, my MOM wins the thread!  ;D
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

kitty_kats mom

Let's see....the apartment complex I lived in when I had DD (kitty cat) - my mom had driven to the laundry room one day and while laundry was going was sitting in the car reading a book.  The back door opens of the car, in tumbles a young female and her male "friend" in a state of serious scrabble-play.  The male looks at my mother an tells her to "shut up and watch if you want".

Another night, shortly after bringing DD home from the hospital - I'm awoken in the middle of the night after what sounded like the building across the parking lot exploded.  No - just a car crashing into a unit during a police chase!

The house I currently live in - when DD was a freshman in high school, I get a text at work "mom, the house across the street is on fire".  Sure enough - ON FIRE!!  I'm stuck at work communicating via phone and text only.  The DBF was stuck at work as well.  DD was here at the house on spring break.  DBF had just returned to work after coming home for lunch.  DD looked out window at front door and saw smoke coming from across the street.  That was the text I received.  Fire dept. shows up.  The boys that lived there (maybe 2nd grade and 6th grade) were home alone.  Older boy went to visit friends and left brother home alone.  He got hungry and turned oven on to heat some pizza rolls.  Only problem was, come to find out, the electrical on the stove had a short.  Destroyed the house!  Both boys were fine (little brother had called the house where older brother had gone and he had come home in time to call fire dept).

When DD was a freshman and sophmore, older students at her high school loved to call in bomb threats and start small fires on campus.  Imagine my surprise while I was at work early one morning working out in the gym...get a text - "we are being evacuated to the football field - there is a bomb in the cafeteria!"  Once again - stuck at work.....drove my boss crazy being on my phone all morning and constantly checking the local news website for updates.

Final one - I'm at work last year and my son (college freshman back home in Texas) sends me a text "Mom, if you hear anything about a gunman on campus - we are on lockdown, but I'm safe" - can we say heart attack!! Come to find out, yes, there was a student on campus with a gun, but the situation resolved itself a couple hours later.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Corbin wins the thread.

Nope, your Mom wins everything in the history of ever... but your story wins the thread.   :D

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
Let's see....the apartment complex I lived in when I had DD (kitty cat) - my mom had driven to the laundry room one day and while laundry was going was sitting in the car reading a book.  The back door opens of the car, in tumbles a young female and her male "friend" in a state of serious scrabble-play.  The male looks at my mother an tells her to "shut up and watch if you want".

:o What did your mom do??
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
I remembered a story of DH's.   When he was growing up, he and his folks lived on a short street off MD Rt. 1, and at the corner of Rt. 1 and their street was a gas station, which was separated from their yard by a tall chain link fence.  DH's bedroom was on this side of the house.

Well one night after they'd all gone to bed, someone (likely drunk) ran through the fence and into the side of the IL's house, right under DH's bedroom.   No one was hurt and DH slept right through it, never even realizing what happened till his folks woke him up.

Another story MIL told me.  When DH was a kid, MIL caught him packing a suitcase and when she asked what he was doing, he informed her that he was going to run away.   And it wasn't anything she or FIL had done that made him want to run away, he didn't even want to, but a friend of his had decided he was going to run away because his parents were abusive and DH didn't want his friend to be alone.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Vilandra

Our next-door neighbor told us a story that had happened to the previous owners of the house.  In the middle of the day, a man broke into their house, took a shower, helped himself to the wife's clothing, and fixed himself a snack.  The neighbors returned home to find him sitting on their back patio.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Our current neighborhood is pretty quiet except for the people across the street. I don't know how they fit so many people into that house, but they do and they make more than enough noise to account for everyone. There are also several small children over there, from a baby on up to about age 12. When we first moved in ODS (who was 5 at the time) was playing with the next door neighbor kids. I guess one of the kids from across the street, who was maybe 4, was upset that ODS was playing with the neighbor kids and threatened to get a gun and shoot him. I went over and spoke to his mother, who was absolutely mortified. She made the boy come over and apologize and he hasn't been over to play since. (I wouldn't mind having him over to play but obviously I won't allow anyone to talk to my kids that way).

At one rental house we lived in, I was getting the kids ready for bed one night when someone knocked on the door. I ignored it since I don't answer when I'm not expecting anyone and went about my business. Put the kids in bed and the knock came again. I realized it's a "cop knock," so I looked out the peep hole and sure enough there are two police officers out there. They asked for some guy, I said I don't know who that is and he doesn't live here. They didn't look like they believed me--probably because I took so long to answer the door--and left. I was convinced they would be coming back but they never did.

At another house I was in the kitchen doing dishes when I heard the neighbors start screaming at each other. My kitchen windows looked out to their yard so I could see them coming out of the house, shoving and hitting each other. I called the police, who came to investigate, and the people apparently thought it was a great idea to sic their dog on the officer. The dog was put down.

Same house as the last story, someone stole a bunch of stuff off my back porch, including two bicycles. One was mine and one was my brother's old bike that DH was using. I was driving home one day and saw my two bicycles in the neighbor's back yard (different neighbor than the previous story). It was a rental house that my parents owned, so I called my dad and he went over and asked the tenant (who also worked for my dad) what he was doing with my property. The guy tried to claim that the bikes had come from his mom's house, but my dad flipped my brother's bike over and pointed out the ID sticker that my brother had put on years before, complete with our old home address in a different city. He didn't have much to say to that. I took the bikes home and the guy didn't keep his job for much longer.

bookworm317

• Proud child of the 80's
Holy cow Corbin! I wanna be your mom when I grow up.
Me too! I try. She says I am better than she was, but I am not sure she realizes the level of awesomeness that she has achieved!

Corbin, I love your mom. Can I be her when I grow up?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Corbin wins the thread.
Vivat Corbin-Mom! 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

NutMeg

Corbin wins the thread.
Vivat Corbin-Mom!

I think someone should design a t-shirt for this occasion.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
I live next to a busy street that's one of the main ways to get from one part of town to another.  There are a lot of accidents on this street.  There have been at least two serious ones in the time we've lived here:

(1) One cold morning when the road was icy a motorcyclist was driving too fast and laid his motorcycle over right in front of where my car was parked.  He crawled out of the road,  and some moms who were out waiting for the school bus with their children called 911.  Within a few minutes the area was full of emergency vehicles, and the motorcyclist was loaded into an ambulance.

(2)  Right before school let out this year someone hit the tree directly in front of where Mr. Sirius' car would have been parked had he not left for work right before it happened.  The vehicle, a pickup, hit the tree so hard that the pickup caught on fire.  The tree lost some bark but was large enough that it's still there and thriving.  The strange thing is, the tree grows next to the northbound lane of the street.  The truck was traveling southbound and hit the tree on the north side, so the truck had to have been on the wrong side of the road.  Since I didn't see what happened I don't know how the driver managed to hit the tree.  The driver had to be freed from the burning truck and was loaded into an ambulance.

On at least three occasions I've seen fender-benders on this street.  We've lived here seven years.

This one actually happened in our apartment complex:  A few years ago a truck missed a sharp corner and plowed into the other end of the building where our apartment is located, knocking out a brick wall and totaling the truck.  Fortunately the apartment was vacant at the time, and the person on the top floor was at work so no one was hurt.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
I would like to add my own +1 for Corbin's mom.

And now another story.

The Place Across the Street

The place diagonally across the street from us is a manufactured home that has been rented by a number of people over the years we've lived here. Some of the people have been better than others. For example, we didn't care for the family whose idea of disposing of their garbage was to throw it in a stinky, moldering heap outside their front door. On windy days, it would end up all over our property.

The Garbage Family eventually left and was replaced by a couple of 19-year-olds with a kid who was about two. Now, some 19-year-olds are quite mature, decent people. These folks weren't but at first they seemed tolerable, at least, as they kept to themselves and (mostly) didn't throw trash in their yard. Every couple of weeks or so however, the Dude would have a screaming fight with the Chick. He sounded so hysterical and out of control that several times we came very close to calling 911. The only thing that stopped us was the fact that Chick didn't sound the least bit alarmed by his antics. We figured we'd cut them some slack because they were young and stupid.

Then Dude held his 19th birthday party. It was a bit raucous and there was clearly underage drinking going on. Not our business, really. However, Dude and his friends spent part of the evening shouting about how they hate all N-words. (No, I don't mean they hated all words that start with the letter N.) That right there thoroughly irked my husband and me and we vowed to call 911 the next time Dude had another fit.

Turns out we didn't even need the encouragement of his racism. One day when my husband had the day off, Dude started shrieking again and this time he yelled at Chick, "I could kill both you and the kid and no one would know." 911 time. Lo and behold, when the Sheriff's officer arrived Dude was hauled away not only for the threat, but because there was a warrant for his arrest on another matter. Chick and the poor kid moved out shortly afterward.

The good news is that the owner of the place has given up renting it because people kept trashing it. He's moved in himself and made huge improvements to the property. And he's quiet and doesn't throw trash in his yard.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Iris

My mom came last (a photo taken as we ran to the car made the paper...my mother did not duck. In fact she appears to be running on her toes. She said she figured that if she was the easiest target, her kids would be more likely to make it to the car safely...like I said, she is awesome, and really brave).

This literally made me cry.

On to my own, much less exciting stories.

Growing up, I'm afraid we WERE the exciting events. Youngest DB went missing one day when he was 2. The whole neighbourhood was in an uproar trying to find him. Turned out he had wandered over to our neighbour's house and when no-one was home curled up to sleep BEHIND the lounge in their downstairs room.

Much less amusingly a few years later my parents had a major domestic which involved older brother and I running for help across the road in the middle of the night because we were afraid our father was going to kill our mother. Good times [/sarcasm]. (In case anyone's interested, mum took us and left and never came back).

University years I lived in a slightly seedy neighbourhood with friends. Occassionally my flatmate and I would be propositioned by guys who mistook us for one of the local streetwalkers. Which I thought was very rude, since we were MUCH better and healthier looking than any of them  :)

Early married life I'm afraid the most "exciting" thing that happened was when our elderly neighbour died. His wife didn't know what to do and hadn't accepted that he was gone and came tapping on our kitchen window (very close to the fence line) to look for help. DH was at work so I had to go over, call the relevant authorities and try and prepare her for being told he was gone without actually taking it upon myself to actually do so in case I was wrong.

On a less sad note, we were about 2 blocks away from a train line. One night there was a huge rumble that seemed to go on forever. I thought it was thunder, but DH (who warks for the railway) immediately jumped up and said "That's a train derailing". Fortunately it was a coal train - the rumble was tons and tons of coal spilling - and no-one was hurt. There was a massive clean-up job that lasted for weeks though.

Now we live in a nice neighbourhood. Trouble with the nice neighbourhood turned out to be that 'youths' from less nice neighbourhoods figured that no-one around here keeps their doors locked until we go to bed (we don't) and so we'd be ripe for home invasions. They invaded two doors down but the man who lives there is super fit and chased them off. They then went around the corner to where a 14 yo boy was babysitting a couple of smaller children. Luckily he had the presence of mind to grab the children and a phone and get them into a room and barricade the door. They took the car keys and money from downstairs and left. The son of the man in the first house was out in the street looking for them and caught one who ran away as the others drove off in the car but he was under 18 so nothing really happened to him.  :(
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.