Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 99866 times)

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
There is a small park across the street from where I live. The first summer that I lived here, we saw a guy blow part of his hand off with fireworks.  :(

~~~~~~~

We also watched two guys beat the living crap out of each other. One guy knocked the other guy out. 911 was called, ambulances come. They get both guys onto the stretchers, and the knocked-out guy wakes up and tries to get up and leave. Cue this little, old, bent-over lady with a cane hobbling up to him. She lectures him & when he tries to get up, she smacks him on the head with her purse. He lays back down, looking scared.

At that point, the guy in the other stretcher starts to laugh, so she turns around & reads HIM the riot act until he's almost in tears. Turns out the guys were related, and the fight wasn't a "real" fight.   ::)
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Corbin

There is a small park across the street from where I live. The first summer that I lived here, we saw a guy blow part of his hand off with fireworks.  :(

~~~~~~~

We also watched two guys beat the living crap out of each other. One guy knocked the other guy out. 911 was called, ambulances come. They get both guys onto the stretchers, and the knocked-out guy wakes up and tries to get up and leave. Cue this little, old, bent-over lady with a cane hobbling up to him. She lectures him & when he tries to get up, she smacks him on the head with her purse. He lays back down, looking scared.

At that point, the guy in the other stretcher starts to laugh, so she turns around & reads HIM the riot act until he's almost in tears. Turns out the guys were related, and the fight wasn't a "real" fight.   ::)
Ooohhh, I think those two will be off Grandma's Christmas list!
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Shopaholic

I once saw a guy driving past on a motorcycle wearing a gas mask.

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
Not the neighborhood where I live, but a neighborhood where I used to go to do PT sessions w/ a kid on my caseload.  Not a nice area of the city in which I was working.  One afternoon I was late to the child's appointment because I had to stop behind a car whose occupants ran inside a rowhome to do a drug deal (known crack house).  Another time I was late to the *next* child's appointment because while I was at the above kid's house the police started a drug bust on the aforementioned crack house and we all had to stay inside until they were done.  Good times.

WhiteTigerCub

My grandparents live in an old copper mining town. Across the main highway from their house is a train track that has a trailer top loader. A truck drives up a ramp, positions itself above a train trailer and drops sediment into the trailer for haul away. The ramp is built for trucks, not small cars.

Well one night my grandparents and I hear a terrible crash sort of sound. We look out across the street to see a VW bug (very small car) that had driven up the ramp ignoring the posted warning signs and fell down the open space at the top of the ramp. They had to take the car apart into pieces in order to get it and the passengers out of there.  Amazingly the joy riders in the car were not hurt.

Arizona

Garden Goblin

Me

A year or so back, some idiot who couldn't tell the difference between a goat and a deer, who also couldn't read 'no hunting' signs, and also didn't get the memo that you aren't allowed to hunt on private property without permission from the owner decided to set up in my driveway.

Apparently, I'm pretty scary and dramatic with a pink tweety-bird nightshirt and a shotgun.

No goats were harmed in the making of this story.  A drunk and stupid poacher did wet himself.  A sheriff did give himself a lovely lump on the forehead because he couldn't stop laughing long enough to see where he was going and walked into a tree branch.  But no goats were harmed.

otterwoman

I'm glad the goats were okay! ;D

Wavicle

Me

A year or so back, some idiot who couldn't tell the difference between a goat and a deer, who also couldn't read 'no hunting' signs, and also didn't get the memo that you aren't allowed to hunt on private property without permission from the owner decided to set up in my driveway.

Apparently, I'm pretty scary and dramatic with a pink tweety-bird nightshirt and a shotgun.

No goats were harmed in the making of this story.  A drunk and stupid poacher did wet himself.  A sheriff did give himself a lovely lump on the forehead because he couldn't stop laughing long enough to see where he was going and walked into a tree branch.  But no goats were harmed.

There is a guy in my area that has a couple of deer statues in his large lawn. Every year during hunting season, he has to put hunting vest on the statues because idiots see them and pull off to the side of the road to shoot them.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
I'm glad the goats were okay! ;D
Hooray!

You might consider painting GOAT on their sides in international Orange.  ;)  I don't suppose they would wear orange vests like the deer statues?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Carnation

• Super Hero!
At my old house, we had a nice, friendly mail carrier.   He started da-ting a coworker, who had an adjacent route.   She decided to break up with him and he didn't take it well.

He harassed her to the point he got fired from the post office.  She took out restraining orders.

He stole a key to his son's house, which was on her route, and sent a certified letter to that address.  When she delivered it, he came out and shot her to death.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
In HS - a girl in my class:  One day her dad went off the deep end.  He shot her mother with a shotgun - mom runs out the backdoor and staggers to the front lawn where he stands over her and shoots her at point blank range, then goes back into the house and kills himself.  Their was a young boy - around 6, I think - home sick from school that day that lived across the street and was looking out his front window and saw him kill her.

Devastating for everyone involved. 

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
This isn't nearly as bad as most of the things in here, but tonight I saw a group of teenagers* with a death wish. They were running out in front of cars on the main road of my subdivision, one of the few roads where people go fast (not that they're supposed to, but it's the one long, straight road in there). One ran out in front of me and I had to slam on my brakes and lay on the horn. ODS was in the car with me, which makes it worse somehow. I was shaking afterwards and I called the police to report it. They were gone when we got home, I can only hope that an officer came by and put the fear of God into them.

*This same group of teenagers sits in the street, literally, when they talk to each other outside. Usually they'll move when a car comes or sit next to a parked car where they're not in the flow of traffic but not always. That was the worst behavior I had seen from them before tonight, I guess they must have been really bored.

kitty-cat

Final one - I'm at work last year and my son (college freshman back home in Texas) sends me a text "Mom, if you hear anything about a gunman on campus - we are on lockdown, but I'm safe" - can we say heart attack!! Come to find out, yes, there was a student on campus with a gun, but the situation resolved itself a couple hours later.
I had a coworker get a similar voice mail from her child. Thankfully by the time she got it - the news had reported that the "gunman" was a member of the Corps of Cadets and the gun was wood i believe.
oh - this was a student that had decided the best way to deal with THEIR suicidal feelings was to go to campus and think about ending their life!  While I truely felt bad for said student, the stress that they put all the other kids through, and parents, was beyond torture.  And of course the students that were locked down weren't getting much information so I was trying to pass on what I could - without freaking DS out more than he was.

And Peas.....she calmly got the keys out of the ignition and went into the laundry room until the tryst was done.  Then she used about a gallon of bleach on the backseat cleaning!!

Nana had a car? Then why did I spend the majority of my childhood RUNNING after her??

And the first bomb scare we had my sophomore year of HS- one girl refused to hand in her cell phone when caught on it and took off running. Down the steps, jumped a fence(1), across the football field, jumped the fence on the other side(2), climbed a 6 foot fence(3) and took off. She was at the second fence before security even started.

She was brought back kicking about 10 minutes later. She woulda been good for the track team...

NE Florida

Corbin

So, Monday I am walking home from work. There is another guy at my workplace who lives on my block, and walks home about the same time I do; we know each other enough to wave, but have never spoken. Anyway, he was just ahead of me and when we rounded the corner onto our street I could see that the front lawn of his house was covered in stuff. Clothes, furniture, boxes of books. I thought maybe they were having a yard sale, but when he saw it he started running up to the house and tried to open the door. Nope, no dice.

So he starts banging on the door, yelling for a woman named Sara, who comes to to the window and starts yelling back at him. Evidently the stuff on the lawn was his, the door locks were changed, and Sara was not about to let him in the house.

Not gonna lie, I stood at my kitchen window and watched the whole thing. He called the cops, trying to get her to let him in, but the cops pretty much told him "Dude, you got your stuff, cut your losses and leave". Nobody got arrested or got violent or anything, but there was a lot of shouting.  :P
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Garden Goblin

I don't suppose they would wear orange vests like the deer statues?

Actually, they do.  I started using the vests when I was training them to pull a wagon.  They got used to the feel of the vests, and then the harnesses didn't really bother them all that much.  I figured I might as well make the vests in as painfully bright a shade as I could find and have them do double duty.