Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 101239 times)

Violet Tulip

Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #300 on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:52 PM »
I have a pretty benign, but strange intruder story. I missed it because I was at college at the time.

One morning my father woke up to find an unfamiliar 20-something man sleeping on the couch. Turns out he was friends with the lady next door's children and had let himself in the side door, thinking he was in their house. The two houses have the same design, but different colors (yellow and white, which are indistinguishable at night). Once he woke up the young man was properly mortified and took off.

I was always amused by this story because my parent's huge German Shepherd Dog was in the house at night, and had apparently greeted the man but not alerted my parents. This just confirmed my belief that in the dog's mind, all people and cats = friends, and all dogs and squirrels = enemies.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2011, 06:35:49 AM »
If you consider the state you live in your 'hood, then this technically happened in my 'hood.

So, many years ago storage unit facilities started to spring up.  And after a few years, this happened:

There was an auction at a storage unit facility on storage units that had gone in arrears.  A man bid on and won the contents of a specific unit, only to find the body of a long-dead woman.  The police were given the name, address and phone number of the previous owner, who was arrested and convicted.

It seems, he killed his then -wife then rented a storage unit to store her body.  He told everyone that she had run off and left him. After a few years he joined the military, got the marriage annulled or something and re-married.  Then he was sent overseas for a tour.  Stateside, his new wife (who was paying the bills) looks at this storage unit rental and thinks; "You know, this is a lot of expense for something he hasn't seen or used in years - he won't miss it." and stops paying on the storage unit.

Found this on snopes http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=91;t=000926;p=0 midway down.. but it says the daughter of the second marriage did the stopping of payment.  (warning: thread is grisly.)

The one I am talking about happened much earlier, sometime in the 1980s/1990s - but using a search engine shows that a lot of people have been doing stuff like this.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »
In my mom's neighborhood in MD, a man murdered his whole family - wife, children, all of them.

He left a note saying it was because they were in debt and couldn't recover and he lost his job, etc.

Only, he was gone.

They found him decades later with a new wife. Evidently HE could recover, only without his family burdening him.

That was John List.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_List
I think that story was on Unsolved Mysteries. At least I vaguely remember seeing a very similar story on there.

John List murdered his family in NJ, not MD.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Melxb

« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2011, 10:16:51 AM »
In my mom's neighborhood in MD, a man murdered his whole family - wife, children, all of them.

He left a note saying it was because they were in debt and couldn't recover and he lost his job, etc.

Only, he was gone.

They found him decades later with a new wife. Evidently HE could recover, only without his family burdening him.

That was John List.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_List
I think that story was on Unsolved Mysteries. At least I vaguely remember seeing a very similar story on there.

John List murdered his family in NJ, not MD.

Well then, I wonder who else it could be?  I thought maybe Bradford Bishop, but he's never been found.

There just aren't that many family anhilators out there and now I'm intensely curious about who it could be.  PeasNCues, do you remember when this was?  Even vaguely?

IslandMama

« Reply #304 on: September 09, 2011, 01:58:29 AM »
My parents managed the local pub when I was growing up and we lived in the house attached.  The pub was on the corner of a major intersection.  One night someone driving a car hit someone on a motorbike.  I woke up to the motorbike rider literally sailing through my bedroom window with glass (and blood, of course) spraying everywhere.  He wasn't too badly injured, considering what happened.

JocelynCS

• Mom of 3 fluffies!
« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
My parents managed the local pub when I was growing up and we lived in the house attached.  The pub was on the corner of a major intersection.  One night someone driving a car hit someone on a motorbike.  I woke up to the motorbike rider literally sailing through my bedroom window with glass (and blood, of course) spraying everywhere.  He wasn't too badly injured, considering what happened.

Wow.  This may not win the thread, but it's definitely in the top five! 

I am envisioning a "caption contest" on what Mister Motorbike and IslandMama's first remarks to each other were.

IslandMama

« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »

Wow.  This may not win the thread, but it's definitely in the top five! 

I am envisioning a "caption contest" on what Mister Motorbike and IslandMama's first remarks to each other were.

I was eight at the time.  He asked if he was dead or alive.  Given my room was decorated with Hollie Hobbie wallpaper etc I'm not sure if he was thinking it was heaven or hell.  I said "So far, you're alive.  I'll go see if anyone has called an ambulance for you, shall I?"  I was always a little strange.  :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #307 on: September 09, 2011, 09:44:34 PM »
A friend of mine was living on the ground floor of an apartment building.  One night, a drunk driver somehow managed to drive through the living room of her apartment, ending up in the bedroom of the apartment next door.  Fortunately, the only one hurt was the driver of the car.

She lost almost everything, didn't have renters insurance AND had to find a new place to live because the building wasn't safe.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
About a month ago I was on my way to catch the bus to go to work and hear someone yelling. That in itself is hardly unusual as I've seen and heard more than a few crazy people shouting nonsense at anyone and everyone. But then I walk up the block and see the source of the yelling--it was a cop standing in the middle of the road with his gun drawn, yelling at two men in a truck to get out.  Another cop opens the passenger side door and drags one of the men out, with a third cop holding a shotgun on him.  Meanwhile, traffic is backing up and dozens of pedestrians on the sidewalk were watching it all with eyes as big as dinner plates.

Thankfully the guys in the truck decided not to go down in an epic blaze of gunfire. By the time I got on the bus the two men were sitting on the sidewalk in handcuffs and the cops were searching the truck.

LeeLee88

About a month ago I was on my way to catch the bus to go to work and hear someone yelling. That in itself is hardly unusual as I've seen and heard more than a few crazy people shouting nonsense at anyone and everyone. But then I walk up the block and see the source of the yelling--it was a cop standing in the middle of the road with his gun drawn, yelling at two men in a truck to get out.  Another cop opens the passenger side door and drags one of the men out, with a third cop holding a shotgun on him.  Meanwhile, traffic is backing up and dozens of pedestrians on the sidewalk were watching it all with eyes as big as dinner plates.

Thankfully the guys in the truck decided not to go down in an epic blaze of gunfire. By the time I got on the bus the two men were sitting on the sidewalk in handcuffs and the cops were searching the truck.

And then Bon Jovi shows up out of nowhere and says, "Guys... it isn't worth it.  No blaze of glory tonight, just go sit down".  True story.

Miss Misha

Though I live in a major metropolitan area, my actual town is quite small and quiet.  But, we have our dens of iniquity, like all human settlements.   ;D  I just happened to buy my first house next to one.  I had the local pot grower/convicted felon next door.  His customers were much, much worse than he ever was, but if I said something to him about customer X using our driveway as a roundabout or customer Y peeing on the tree, he nipped it in the bud.  After all, he didn't want to draw attention to himself, did he?  So life was relatively quiet until one Sunday morning at 7:00 a.m. when the county marshalls and several cops showed up to take him in.  The knocking on his front door work me up.  I peeked out the window to see what the noise was and saw them all out there with really, really big guns.  I remember hitting the floor and wondering what bullets could penetrate as I crept to the far side of the house.  Oh, and my big siberian husky lay on the floor next to me cowering as well.  So much for canine bravery.

Also, we're a island that is pretty flat and when I bought that first house we were told by the bank we had to buy flood insurance since we were in a 100 year flood plain.  We scoffed, but paid up and got the insurance.  So, that first winter was a record setting one - epic storms, flooding in the agricultural area north of us, etc.   We went out one Sunday morning for church and breakfast and couldn't get home due to --- flooding.  Seems that a levee under the bridge connecting our island had given way and the main road was flooded.  First time there was a recordable flood in the city in over 50 years.

In my current house, we live on a street that has a "dog leg" at the one end.  In the 20 or so years I've lived here, at least two cars have missed the turn and run into the poor tree that grows there.  Both times I recall clearly, it was a Saturday night so I suspect intoxication as a cause.

The scariest/funniest thing happened about 20 years ago when we had the Loma Prieta earthquake.  Then-hubby and I had just turned on the TV to watch the World Series so we were at home.  When the earth started shaking, he ran to a doorway for cover.  But not me!  I was gonna watch that game dontchaknow, so I proceeded to hold onto the TV so it wouldn't rattle off the rather rickety stand we had it on.  Though the earthquake was longer than "normal" (we do get small ones every few months), it didn't feel strong enough that they'd have to call the game or that the Bay Bridge had been damaged.  We found that out later.  However, the Misha-held-the-TV-during-the-big-one story has become family legend.   :D 

We also found out about the collapsed freeway from the earthquake when my sister called from Oregon, frantic, when she saw the news footage.  I might've been on that freeway returning from work, but had come home early to watch the Series.  As it was, my co-worker, who took the same bus, had just.come.off the freeway exit.  She said later she thought the driver had hit a pothole! :o

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
My former boss, who had worked in San Francisco at the time and lived in Oakland, had just come across the bridge when it collapsed.  She said when she got home her husband was hysterical because he thought she'd been on the bridge. 

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
Huh I just remembered one. During the DC sniper rampage, I was working as the assistant vet here. We got a call about a downer cow, and I noticed that she had a wound on her that looked to me like a bullet hole. My boss said that it was far too big, and that she probably got hung up on a gate or a fence and cut herself. She never recovered so we put her down and autopsied her and found... a lot of damage and eventually a 50 caliber bullet.  They thought it might be related to the sniper case, so the FBI came out. Turns out someone had robbed a gun store close by and decided to test some weapons by shooting at cows. Fortunately they only hit one.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
I forgot about one from about 6 or 7 years ago.  I was working at a branch in the downtown of the small city I live in.  One block away was the district court.  It was a fairly quiet office, but one afternoon was exceptional: we had no customers.  Odd.

Then I got a phone call from the Union Rep for my clerks.  "Why is your office open?"  I didn't even know how to respond to that.  Why wouldn't it be open?  She told me to turn on the TV.  A very violent criminal escaped from the courthouse, where he was to be indicted, and the police had the downtown area on lockdown.

They caught him within the next 15 minutes: hiding in one of the courthouse bathrooms.  But we had a nice quiet afternoon.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
One of my more dramatic moments was "Day of the Castaways".

When I was a child, my family had a cottage on a seacoast. It wasn't deserted by any means, but quite rural. There was an island a few miles off shore from it, a few acres of mosquitos and little else. One fall day, we were staying overnight when there was a big storm. The next day, the water was still very rough. When we looked out in the morning, we could see an object bobbing far off in the distance near the island.

Over the next hour, the object came closer, tossing in the waves. We noted that it looked like boat wreckage, and hoped there had not been an accident.

The object came closer. As it came near to shore, it became visible that it was a raft, with two people on it. Eventually, it reached shore. We went down to see it, and discovered two young men on board, nearly completely exhausted. Apparently, they'd been out sailing when the storm hit the night before, and it drove them on a reef around the island. They decided as soon as it was light to make a raft of the wreckage, and paddle to shore.

We fed them and gave them warm clothes, and called the authorities who were already looking for them. After they left for town, we children were given the talk about how if something similar ever happened to us, we should stay where we were, and wait for rescue, rather than trusting our lives to a few broken boards lashed together.

They did get rescued a few hours earlier, but they could easily have drowned in the attempt to cross.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."