Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 95026 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
I love these stories! Almost as intriguing as the personal mysteries thread! :D

I know there have been a few incidences in various neighborhoods I've lived in, but my veryvery favorite ever would be when the high school near my neighborhood had to be shut down and decontaminated.

Why? Because some of the students stole some mercury from the chem lab and went bezerk with it! They shared it with friends, rolled it over their skin, hid it away in pockets, squirted it at each other with water bottles, smeared it on walls. As anyone familiar with the effects of mercury knows, this is inSANE.

So anyway, the faculty didn't realize what was going on until the afternoon, when a student fainted in class. An EMT found the mercury on her and had her tested. Mercury poisoning was deemed the reason for her collapse. Suddenly, teams are in the school, doing tests. The whole building is shut down, with every student forced to stay inside until they could be stripped, decontaminated, tested and sent home in new clothes donated from the Salvation Army. It took hours, as this school held around 2000 students. A few other students were sent to the hospital with severe levels of contamination (can't remember the number, as this was over 10 years ago), and the school was shut down for almost a week while professional cleaners were brought in to decontaminate the school. I think it cost the city quite a pretty penny at the end of the affair. A nearby bowling alley, where the kids hung out for lunch, also had to be decontaminated at the city's expense.

I believe a few days later, mercury was found on one of the sidewalks in the neighborhood. One of the students who instigated the event admitted to bringing mercury home with her, and her house was found to be contaminated. Her parents had to gut it before it was livable, and I think they attempted to sue the school for expenses. Don't remember if they won, though!

You got that last part wrong - the city and school sued the parents and students and they had to pay for the clean up of the school, bowling alley, sidewalk and other public areas right. Opps forgot justice doesn't always work right in this world.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Kaypeep

When I was a in college  there was a man who ran an illegal gambling club in the back of a chinese restaurant across the street from my job. He looked almost exactly like Kenny Rogers that everyone just called him that, instead of his real name. Kenny was also a neighbor of mine, I 'd known my wholel ife. He lived across the street from my mom's house.  One day a HS friend who was now a cop came into our store and was asking if we ever went to the chinese restaurant.  We (my brother and I, we worked together) could tell he knew about the gambling and we told him we did go there,but only for lunch, not for gambling. He then admitted the reason he was asking us was because they were going to raid the place and wanted to make sure we weren't there if they did.   So when our shift ended, we hung out at the store anyway because we wanted to see the raid. It was excting!

Flash forward a few years, I'm visiting mom mom at home and I comment about the large #of utility trucks on her block and ask her if she knows what happened?  Was there a gas leak? Are they going to tear up the street and replace the sewers? She laughs and says "They aren't really!  It's the Feds! They are watching Kenny Rogers!"  Well, she was partly right!  Sure enough about 50 ATF officers show up out of nowhere and raid the house NEXT TO Kenny Rogers!  Turns out our other neighbor (among many, I should confess) was in the mafia and was being picked up for a slew of crimes mostly trading and selling illegal arms, drugs, etc.  Kenny Rogers watched the whole thing from the front of his house and I couldn't help but wonder if he was freaking out that they would come for him again, next.

PS- Why yes, my neighborhood does run like a season of The Sopranos.

LibChick

When I was a in college  there was a man who ran an illegal gambling club in the back of a chinese restaurant across the street from my job. He looked almost exactly like Kenny Rogers that everyone just called him that, instead of his real name. Kenny was also a neighbor of mine, I 'd known my wholel ife. He lived across the street from my mom's house.  One day a HS friend who was now a cop came into our store and was asking if we ever went to the chinese restaurant.  We (my brother and I, we worked together) could tell he knew about the gambling and we told him we did go there,but only for lunch, not for gambling. He then admitted the reason he was asking us was because they were going to raid the place and wanted to make sure we weren't there if they did.   So when our shift ended, we hung out at the store anyway because we wanted to see the raid. It was excting!

Well, wasn't Kenny Rogers "The Gambler?"

paige =^..^=

• website
... he nipped it in the bud.

I see what you did there :)

m2kbug

My cat got smashed in a garage door of a vacant house that was up for sale -- cat half in, half out.  I suspect foul play, as the garage doors bounce open if anything gets in the way.  It took a few phone calls to get someone out to open the garage door to retrieve the cat. 

OP can you please clarify if you mean cat or car in this story, I just can't work out the logistics of a cat being stuck half in, half out of a garage door  :)

Imagine the cat on its belly - the garage door closed at the waistline, head outside on the carport, tail inside the garage. 

m2kbug

Lots of scary stories.  I have to say the airplane tire falling on the lawn has to be my funny/bizarre favorite.  Another one that made me laugh, and I paraphrase, "the most interesting thing in our neighborhood was the runaway tortoise."   ;D

I thought of another interesting neighbor story.  Some renters moved in, I think four young adults, and they had this old clunky car that was never parked in the garage.  Some people's garages are filled with stuff, so the car won't fit, but in this case the garage was empty.  I found it odd that they didn't make use of the space, especially since the car never seemed to run.

Then I started to notice that it seemed like they partied in the garage a lot with the door closed.  It's hot here and not the most pleasant place to hang out, if you ask me, especially with the door closed.  Someone explained to me that they probably like to partake of illegal weed-like mood enhancers, so couldn't smoke in the yard due to the odor, nor did they smoke in the house.  Okay, makes sense.   

Now the car.  The majority of the time the only time the car ever seemed to move was when a tow truck was picking it up or dropping it off - at 3 in the morning.  ??? I kid you not, that truck was out here once or twice a month.  I about reached my tolerance on that one when they moved. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:05:29 PM by m2kbug »

Iris

My cat got smashed in a garage door of a vacant house that was up for sale -- cat half in, half out.  I suspect foul play, as the garage doors bounce open if anything gets in the way.  It took a few phone calls to get someone out to open the garage door to retrieve the cat. 

Poor cat!  :(
OP can you please clarify if you mean cat or car in this story, I just can't work out the logistics of a cat being stuck half in, half out of a garage door  :)

Imagine the cat on its belly - the garage door closed at the waistline, head outside on the carport, tail inside the garage.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!

Also, we're a island that is pretty flat and when I bought that first house we were told by the bank we had to buy flood insurance since we were in a 100 year flood plain.  We scoffed, but paid up and got the insurance.  So, that first winter was a record setting one - epic storms, flooding in the agricultural area north of us, etc.   We went out one Sunday morning for church and breakfast and couldn't get home due to --- flooding.  Seems that a levee under the bridge connecting our island had given way and the main road was flooded.  First time there was a recordable flood in the city in over 50 years.

DH and I had to purchase flood insurance because our house was on the 100 year flood plain. We also scoffed, but did it because, well, we couldn't close on the house without purchasing flood insurance. There hadn't been a flood in that area in so long that no one could remember the last time it had happened.

A few months ago a truly awful storm hit. The rain came so hard and fast that it caused flash flooding in several areas. It took me hours to get home because so many roads were closed. When I got to my subdivision, the streets were flooded. I had to park the car in a non-flooded area and walk to my house through water that was up to my thighs. The water made it almost to the house..it stopped just shy of the garage when it stopped raining and all of the storm drains and sewers were able to catch up to the sheer volume of water that was flowing through the streets. By the time DH got home, the water was all gone, but I showed him the water mark on the driveway. We've never complained about flood insurance since.

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
First house, three incidents:

The houses in our unit faced the parking lot, and in one corner was the dumpsters surrounded by a wooden fence.  There was a trash fire that caught the fence.

A police officer lived across the play area from us.  He spotted some guy trying to climb over the fence into our patio, and arrested him.  The really weird thing was that we didn't really use the patio.  We just let the dog go outside there to potty.  The patio was filled with dog waste.  From the size of the waste, it should have been obvious that we had a large dog.  In fact she was a 75-lb weimaraner. 

My Girl Scout troop was walking through the park beside our housing unit and our leader was held up at knife point and had her purse stolen.

College, in dorms

Late at night a friend and I decided to walk to the 7-11 about half a mile away.  On the way back, we watch as someone comes running out of the diner across the street, jumps into a car and runs away.  Another man comes out of the diner and starts firing after the car.  I take cover behind the cars in the auto dealership we were passing.  My stupid companion the film major is standing right there looking up and down the street for the cameras.  It turns out the diner, being open 24 hours, is frequently robbed, and the owner keeps a gun under the counter.

A helicopter lifting a new A/C unit onto the top of a building in the early morning loses the broadcast antenna for the college radio station in the sun and hits it, shearing off the tips of the propeller.  The pilot manages to safely autorotate into a street that is really only used for staff parking.  Fortunately it was Saturday, and not many people were there.  The copter broke its landing gear.  They had to bring a crane and trailer in to haul it away.  Fortunately it survived, and I saw it about 18 months later at an air show.  However, the nearby buildings were all typical wood frame/chicken wire/stucco California construction, and pieces of the blade and pieces of the tree branches the helicopter hit on the way down scythed through the walls.  I know at least one person found a piece of wood in her desk drawer.  Fortunately in these dorm rooms, the desks stood between the beds and the windows, so no one was injured.

College, off campus apartment

My roommate arrived home and was prevented from entering the complex because someone was being searched for.  When she was finally allowed in, she finds that I had gone to bed and left the door unlocked.

Last house in California

The neighbors next door were a source of continuing problems.  They threw shoes from their window at ours and broke it.  They threw eggs at my niece's car.  We invited them over as guests (before we knew their issues) and they stole my tzedekah (charity) box.  One day the police come over and want to look around our yard.  We let them in.  They are looking for someone from next door.  They don't find him.  They park down the street for a while, then leave.  Almost immediately after they leave, the guy comes streaking through our backyard.  He had been hiding underneath our weeping elm.

I had gone up to the local big box store mall to see my nephew, who worked there.  I was coming out of the lot when I hear this furious BANG!  The transformer near the street had blown up.  Oil from the transformer started a fire in the grass, and the wire that ran over the street fell down.

These are just the big ones.  Honestly I think I call 911 about six times a year.  The last was just last weekend.  I had been out of town visiting a friend and when driving home from the airport made the mistake of driving past the football stadium right as a game let out.  As I'm merging from I-55 onto Lake Shore Drive, I spot a couple walking down the median between the merging freeway lanes!  Maybe three weeks before that I saw a man wandering drunkenly through traffic on Michigan Avenue.

Then there was the time I spotted a guy walking down the carpool lane of the San Bernardino freeway; the time I stopped because a guy was pushing a lawn mower across the street and the motorcyclist behind me couldn't stop, skidded into a parked van, and took out its gas tank; the time someone was trying to break into my landlord's apartment; the time my neighbor's pool equipment shed caught fire; the time the car skidded into the power pole and took out power for the area; the time the car in front of me had its axle break going up Kellogg Hill....
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

2littlemonkeys

I live next to an area of town we call "Felony Flats"...one night I was studying in my room when there was this huge BANG, it was seriously louder than a gunshot or a firecracker. We had NO idea what it was. People from all over campus and the surrounding area, like a good 10-20 mile radius were posting on their facebooks asking what that was.

We never found out.

I wonder if this was a sonic boom.  We had one or two over our area growing up and they are very loud.

I didn't live at home at the time but my parents were eating dinner one night.  Suddenly, they heard a loud "BOOM" and the house shook.  A house three homes down blew to smithereens from a gas leak.  Fortunately, no one was home at the time!

jmarvellous

I have a few, some doozier than others ...

Probably the scariest one was when I lived in an apartment that shared a driveway with a women's health clinic ... that someone bombed. Well, by bombed I mean put a bomb in the parking lot that the police defused before it went off. I was unable to go home that night because the only entrance to my building was blocked by police; they also said that my unit would have exploded if it had gone off.

The apartment before that, my first day there, I witnessed a knife fight (called the police, who never showed). Those same neighbors were also pot dealers, I realized later. I also got propositioned on multiple occasions by young men with very obvious gang tattoos who were 'packing,' and approached me in various dangerous situations, backing me into corners or against cars. Another neighbor who I briefly befriended was fond of 'experimental home tattooing' -- including such gems as reusing the same needle without sanitizing it first.

Growing up, our street flooded a lot -- we'd get out the boat and paddle down the road for kicks; there were lots of fires in the area (or it may have seemed that way because I knew firefighters), including one that spread blocks and blocks, to dozens of homes that had dry wooden shingles.
And there was a shooting at the home a few doors down where the kid who stole all the neighbors' tire valves had lived. As far as I know, he's not supposed to live there anymore; I don't know who was shot. There were two houses on the U-shaped street with some serious domestic/illegal substance issues, with cops getting called on residents (permanent or transient) by fellow residents probably once a month. At least one resident committed suicide by drug overdose -- he was 15 at the time, and in school with my brother.

My ex's apartment seemed really nice, but his car got broken into FIVE times. Once we heard it happening (about 3 a.m.) and he watched the guys while on the phone with 911. One of the two culprits was apprehended by police. Since the car was wiped clean of stuff on the previous 4 break-ins, there wasn't much to take. For some bizarre reason, though, he had ex's car insurance card in his pocket! Easy to pin the break-in on him at that point! Oh, and someone was shot and killed in a drunken conflict that began in a bar and involved one party chasing the other into the complex.

So far, so good at my current place, if you count 'being lunged at by a woman who strongly resembled a zombie' and witnessing a hit-and-run-car accident outside my home as good.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
...These are just the big ones.  Honestly I think I call 911 about six times a year...

Wow, Tycha.  Where do you live?  So I can make sure I don't move within a 100 miles of you.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Probably the scariest one was when I lived in an apartment that shared a driveway with a women's health clinic ... that someone bombed. Well, by bombed I mean put a bomb in the parking lot that the police defused before it went off. I was unable to go home that night because the only entrance to my building was blocked by police; they also said that my unit would have exploded if it had gone off.

While not happening in my neighborhood, I have the distinction of living in possibly the only major metropolitan US city that had an entire city block razed due to the mayor ordering a bomb dropped on it by helicopter.

JadeAngel

While not happening in my neighborhood, I have the distinction of living in possibly the only major metropolitan US city that had an entire city block razed due to the mayor ordering a bomb dropped on it by helicopter.

They, did get everybody out first... right?  :o

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)

They, did get everybody out first... right?  :o

They evacuated everyone who would leave (that is, everyone the bomb was supposed to take out).  The house that they bombed had incendiary materials within it.  Add a bomb made of four pounds of C4, drop, mix well, and voila!  Sixty-five houses burned to the ground.  Five adults and five children, plus the leader of the group they were bombing, died as a result.

At the time it happened, this was a little bit like our 9/11.  I mean, it isn't every day the mayor does a bombing run on his own city.