Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 101629 times)

mumma to KMC

Many years ago, I was cleaning my apartment while talking with my friend on the phone. I was putting something away in the linen closet and at the same time I closed the door, what sounded like a gun shot happened. Thinking it was something I had done with the door, I tried to recreate the sound, nope. I said to my friend, "Wow, that was interesting, I think someone just got shot." However, since I lived in a pretty quiet apt building I didn't think much of it.

Ten minutes later, there was a knock at my door, I opened it and it was the guy from next door, asking me if I was okay, and if anyone else was in the apartment. Being a wise single woman living in the city, I became very cautious and didn't answer his question, and I had my door slightly cracked, preparing to shut it. He went on to tell me that he was cleaning his gun and it went off, and he wanted to make sure everyone was okay. I told him I was, thanked him, then closed the door (and locked it.)

I went to the room that shared the wall and sure enough, there was a hole in the wall and one in the wall across the room. I taped some paper over it and went to bed. The next morning I called the apartment super and they came to fix it a few weeks later. The guys next door were evicted, but only after my friend (and upstairs neighbor) called the manager's office again to push the issue. (I had asked to have them moved bc I didn't feel comfortable living next door to them.)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Isn't step one of cleaning your gun to unload the gun? It's a bit mind-boggling how many people apparently forget that step.

mumma to KMC

Isn't step one of cleaning your gun to unload the gun? It's a bit mind-boggling how many people apparently forget that step.

Yeah, I have since learned to shoot and gun maintenance, but at the time, I had never even held a gun, let alone cleaned one out, but I knew that rule #1 was to make sure the gun was empty.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Guns load themselves when you aren't looking.  ;)
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
I heard "a gun is always loaded, even when it isn't".

cwm

Words to live by. One of my jobs we had a guy come in and demo some tactical lights to attach to guns. His guns weren't even physically capable of holding ammunition, let alone being fired, but everyone still treated them like they were loaded and without a safety. Pointed at the floor the whole time, finger never on the trigger, etc.

I've never taken an official gun safety course, but I've gone shooting several times. I can't think of a way where I could accidentally shoot off a gun while cleaning it. No way, no how.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
We have had two that were pretty scary. I was bad, the other was funny.

1)Shortly after my mom bought her house her neighbors were doing the famous “Gun Cleaning” and shot through their wall, across the intervening yard, through the side of my mom’s house and killed her loveseat,  coffee table and the newspaper that my stepdad had just put down to go answer the phone. Had the phone not rung (shudder) . 

The neighbors were ticked that mom had an electrician open the wall to make sure that the electrical wiring had not been damaged as the faceplate from one of the outlets on that wall exploded when the bullet hit it.  We were surprised how much damage was done as the hole was very little on the outside of the wall, you could cover it up with your finger. They cussed mom out because their homeowner’s insurance refused to cover them so mom’s homeowner’s insurance sued them personally. The neighbors moved a year or so later, the guy that bought it said that from the damage inside, he doesn’t think that this was the first or last time that they “cleaned” their guns that way.

2)I woke up to police swarming around the park behind our house. The copter was up in the air with the searchlight going. Radios blaring. Pure panic time.  I called the police non-emergency line to find out if I should have evacuated the house or what. Turns out that the police academy down the road from us was running a training scenario. There were signs at the park entrance advising people and notices had been mailed. Unfortunately, we have a PO Box and do not get mail at the house. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
My children and grandchildren learned that one by the time they were three, so it's not a difficult concept to learn! 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

snowfire

Up at my Mom's cabin:  I walked in to our bedroom and noticed a huge chunk of wood peeled back off the end of the four poster bed.  It was probably about 6 inches long x 1 wide.  I inspected a little more and discovered a chunk of lead embedded in the post. Fairly easy to determine that it was a .22 bullet.  Inspection of the wall revealed a neat little hole in the inside wall and a matching hole in the exterior wall.  It didn't take a scientist to determine where the bullet was fired from.  We walked over to the neighbors house and had a little chat with them.  The Mom and teenage son came over to see the damage.  Junior had been goofing around with his .22 rifle and "didn't know it would go that far...".  We are only a couple of hundred feet away from their house.

I was very glad to see that he turned a sickly shade of green when he saw where the bullet had ended up.  He also got my 15 minute gun safety lecture. I think that actually seeing the bullet in the  bed made the biggest impression and I seriously doubt that he'll do anything that stupid again. 

The funny upside to this:  the bullet pierced the wall right above the desk in the bedroom and it was perfect size, so we popped in a couple of plastic grommets and ran the antenna cable for our ham radio through the hole.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
...   The funny upside to this:  the bullet pierced the wall right above the desk in the bedroom and it was perfect size, so we popped in a couple of plastic grommets and ran the antenna cable for our ham radio through the hole.

The story is scary, but that last sentence ... very much a "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade" type solution.  Love it.

cattlekid

Well, this morning I backed out of the driveway on my way to work and noticed a police car sitting outside our house.  Not an uncommon occurrence.  I did notice that there was no police person in it, which was a bit odd.

Then I turned the corner and two houses down from the corner, I noticed a large black police van in the driveway of a home that had recently been struck by a fire and is currently uninhabited.  There were two individuals in the driver area of the van, plus at least one hanging off the back that I could see. 

Then I noticed the unmarked squad with four police personnel in it, all wearing flak helmets. 

Hmm....

I am thinking that they were planning on serving a high risk warrant shortly.  Glad I got out of there when I did.  My other thought was that there was some sort of standoff but there didn't appear to be enough commotion for that scenario. 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!

I hope I didn’t post this before, with the search option disabled I am not sure. I kind of can’t believe I didn’t; but it’s been a few months now, so maybe I forgot…

Do y’all remember Kai the Axe Wielding Hitchhiker? He had some minor celebrity after being picked up hitchhiking and stopping the guy who was driving the car from killing someone by hitting him in the head with an axe. Kai is a big hippie who calls himself homefree as opposed to homeless and basically just travels the country making music and doing what he does. After the axe incident he was on The Jimmy Kimmel show and was on the news for a while as kind of a folk hero. The video of his description of the account is really something.
A friend posted on Facebook that Kai was staying with her (and her roommates who I am good friends with), which I didn’t really believe. She can exaggerate a little. Come to find out it was true. It was their house he stayed at the night before he was arrested for murder. If you saw any of the interviews with the dude in the sassy hat saying Kai seemed like a normal and friendly guy that is my friend and former neighbor.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/42667/kai-the-hitchhiker-viral-star-arrested-on-murder-charge

Warning: Language and video may be NSFW
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

MrTango

I remember the first two rules of gun safety from when I was in Boy Scouts:
1) A gun is always loaded.
2) There are no exceptions to rule 1.

Dr. F.

I can't believe I'd actually completely forgotten this story, but some of the recent posts brought it back to mind.

I was working at a smallish museum-type organization, which was located at the dead end of a street in a very safe, high-end neighborhood. One day, I looked up and noticed several police choppers in the air. This was unusual enough, but then the loud-hailing started warning someone to give up without a fight.  ???

The on-site handyman guy came to me and told me that an armed gunman had robbed a local bank, and was holed up right in front of our front gates. Which meant that all of our visitors would have to leave past an armed gunman and a police roadblock. (The police hadn't blocked off our end of the road, as it went nowhere but us.) Um, no.

I asked if he had talked to the CEO. He said that the CEO had blown him off. I told him to close and lock the front gates, open the back gates, and stand there and give people instructions on how to get out the back when they tried to leave. (The back gates are NOT obvious.)

I then told the CEO what orders I had given. He said, "Oh, OK. Whatever." He was too busy having a conversation with a student of mine where said student was pointing out that the vast majority of the CEO had taught in a class was factually incorrect. The student was correct, if less than perfectly tactful.

The gunman was arrested a couple of hours later, without incident. I'm still annoyed that I had to pick up the pieces and give the appropriate instructions, and never even got a Thank You from TPTB. Sheesh.

cattlekid

Now I find out that there was a shooting in our neighborhood about 4 hours later where a civilian shot another and then a responding officer was injured. 

Too much excitement for one day.

Well, this morning I backed out of the driveway on my way to work and noticed a police car sitting outside our house.  Not an uncommon occurrence.  I did notice that there was no police person in it, which was a bit odd.

Then I turned the corner and two houses down from the corner, I noticed a large black police van in the driveway of a home that had recently been struck by a fire and is currently uninhabited.  There were two individuals in the driver area of the van, plus at least one hanging off the back that I could see. 

Then I noticed the unmarked squad with four police personnel in it, all wearing flak helmets. 

Hmm....

I am thinking that they were planning on serving a high risk warrant shortly.  Glad I got out of there when I did.  My other thought was that there was some sort of standoff but there didn't appear to be enough commotion for that scenario.