Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 96958 times)

cattlekid

Now I find out that there was a shooting in our neighborhood about 4 hours later where a civilian shot another and then a responding officer was injured. 

Too much excitement for one day.

Well, this morning I backed out of the driveway on my way to work and noticed a police car sitting outside our house.  Not an uncommon occurrence.  I did notice that there was no police person in it, which was a bit odd.

Then I turned the corner and two houses down from the corner, I noticed a large black police van in the driveway of a home that had recently been struck by a fire and is currently uninhabited.  There were two individuals in the driver area of the van, plus at least one hanging off the back that I could see. 

Then I noticed the unmarked squad with four police personnel in it, all wearing flak helmets. 

Hmm....

I am thinking that they were planning on serving a high risk warrant shortly.  Glad I got out of there when I did.  My other thought was that there was some sort of standoff but there didn't appear to be enough commotion for that scenario.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Isn't step one of cleaning your gun to unload the gun? It's a bit mind-boggling how many people apparently forget that step.

I remember the first two rules of gun safety from when I was in Boy Scouts:
1) A gun is always loaded.
2) There are no exceptions to rule 1.

Rule 3: Never point a loaded (see rule 1) firearm at something you do not plan on destroying.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Which is an excellent reason never to tuck a gun into your waistband. Especially front and center.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

MrTango

Isn't step one of cleaning your gun to unload the gun? It's a bit mind-boggling how many people apparently forget that step.

I remember the first two rules of gun safety from when I was in Boy Scouts:
1) A gun is always loaded.
2) There are no exceptions to rule 1.

Rule 3: Never point a loaded (see rule 1) firearm at something you do not plan on destroying.

Exactly.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Which is an excellent reason never to tuck a gun into your waistband. Especially front and center.

Rob

It might solve a few future problems if they do.  :D

magicdomino

Rob

It might solve a few future problems if they do.  :D

Also, you might get a Darwin Award without having to die first. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!

Rob

Back in high school, Lil Sis "starred" as the innocent heroine of a Wild West melodrama - complete with wicked villain in black hat, with black mustache to twirl, and a blacker heart; innocent hero in a white hat, and of course - someone who went through puberty (finally) at 17 - so she looked "really" young in the part - and everyone knew that she was a preacher's kid - so she was probably being type cast.....  The young couple had talked earlier in the play about starting a chicken ranch, if she can just get the deed to her farm back from the villain (hisses & boos from the audience - it's part of the fun of a melodrama).

Hero sticks gun in front of pants (prop gun that fired water, at most).  She makes a rather na´ve comment (in the script for the innocent heroine) that she "hopes that THING (gun) doesn't go off".

Someone in the back of the auditorium hollers out "If it does, CHICKENS is all that they'll be raising!"

Cue total pandemonium for about sixty to ninety seconds.....as everyone else in the audience got the joke (West Texas - lots & lots of people had REAL guns of their own at home). 

I understand that the next time they performed - they waited a few seconds to see if anyone else had a comment to make from the peanut gallery - but the audience was a bit less....smart mouthed than the previous one!  And the actors kept their composure a bit better without the total loss of decorum in the audience.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

wonderfullyanonymous

When I lived at home, there was a house and a couple barns across the cornfield from us, that had been bought buy a bank. The volunteer fire dept was doing a practice burn on them.  The barns went up like kindling. The practice burn for on FD turned into a practice burn for many. They had the extra fire trucks standing by in the surrounding subdivisions to put out any fires started by floatin embers.

Tini

My parents had to leave their house rather abruptly a while ago and come to ours because workers had found a 500kg WW II bomb when they were digging a ditch. The whole neighbourhood had to be evacuated in a 400m radius, including a retirement home. My parents were surprisingly chipper, considering that my mom was around when those bombs were new and dropping from the sky.

DistantStar

Not human-caused, but a major wildfire a few years ago that was threatening to quite literally come over the mountains and burn down the town.  The sky was...dramatic.  And scary!  The firefighters were amazing!

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
In a nice neighborhood where my family lived while I was in my teens, there was (1) a murder by a mugger, over $1 (that is all the victim had on him), which happened in the afternoon, on the street just a few houses from ours; (2) two separate fatal hit-and-runs, the pedestrians were in the cross-walk, also happened in afternoon and on same street and in front few houses down from ours; a rape of a sandwhich shop teen girl, around 5 pm, still daylight, a few blocks down. The poor girl had her clothes stolen and she ran home. These all happened with two years.

I move to my own place in my 20's, in the same nice town. One of the neighbors were hippy-types, and when I had to park on the street coming home from work, they were paranoid and would shout at me, asking who I was and why I was parking there. I walked every morning and some evenings so I was no stranger, and lots of people parked on the street. I tried to avoid them, thinking they could be on drugs. A time later, the neighbors on my other side had several police cars, sheriff department cars all outside surrounding that house: a big drug bust! Somebody told me the parents had moved out because their children were involved in the drug traffic.

Scary also, as I did a lot of walking of that neighborhood, when I came back home to watch tv, on the news it was reported a nearby drug (legit) manufacturer had leaked harmful chemicals from a truck, in the street gutters -- right there where I did walking. We were advised not to walk there, let children play or pets there. Okay, but why wasn't there any warning signs or anything at the location? Why did I have to hear it from a tv news broadcast? That was scary.

greencat

Another natural-causes scary thing:

About 20 years ago, it rained about three or four times as much as normal during the summer.  My parents' back yard flooded - four foot deep where we measured it, plus at least one small sinkhole that opened up in the garden.

We stopped feeling comfortable playing outside around the edge of the water when I saw a 4-foot long alligator splashing around.  Doubly so when we realized that the entire end of the street next to us had flooded, and there were 12+ foot alligators spotted with no more barricade between our yard and the gators than a mostly-submerged chain-link fence.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Not as much scary as it was confusing really.  Two years ago (wow was it that long already?) We had a relatively small earthquake in the DC/VA/MD area.  I had been sitting in what has become the babe's room, talking on the phone with a friend.  Now we do live on a through street on which many trucks do pass, and many stop in front of the dairy across the street so at first I thought it was just truck rolling past or something.

So I kept talking but as I kept talking, I could feel the whole house moving and shaking.  Not badly but enough to realize that wasn't a truck!  I told my friend "Um, I think we're having an earthquake!" By the time it dawned on me and I got in a doorway, it was over. 

Go figure, I lived in California 4 years and didn't feel a durned thing, only to move back to Maryland and feel an earthquake.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
I remember that earthquake, too. I was talking to a co-worker, George, when he and another coworker, Tim, said, "Do you feel that?"

I said, "Feel what?"

George said, "That."

A few seconds later I felt something that felt like a full cart rolling down the aisle -- and then the full force hit, and the room shook for a few seconds.

After it was done, I said, "Should we evacuate?"

George looked up and said to me, "I don't know about you, but I'm getting the (bleep) out of here."  And stood up, and took off.

The funniest part, for me, was that we had LITERALLY just finished my company's disaster preparedness training. In that training, we'd dealt with tornadoes, bomb scares, fires, and even stuck elevators.

The one thing they missed?

Earthquakes.

(To be fair, in central Maryland, you hardly expect earthquakes. It would be like getting a blizzard in Atlanta.)

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
It was 10 years ago yesterday that Ontario and most of the Eastern seaboard was plunged into darkness.

That was pretty dramatic.

I was supposed to be heading home to my Dad's; my Mom was dying and we were told she only had a few days.  But I didn't have any gas in my truck.  I called home to let them know I'd have to come in the morning because the power was out and my brother said, 'Uh oh.  The power is out here, too.'  I was wakened by the AC kicking in at about 5:00 in the morning so I got up and took off.  Turns out, some small pockets in my city never lost power and I probably could have headed out but I wasn't sorry I'd slept first.  I was home for three weeks, helping my Dad and talking recipes with my Mom.  She held out until the 24th of September.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario