Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 100967 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #720 on: December 05, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
We live on the edge of a large protected forest, and definitely have raptors!  We're not sure if he's a red-shouldered or Cooper's hawk, and whether it's really just one, but we have a frequent visitor.  During the summer he'd come to our yard almost daily.

What we've thought about building are bat houses.  We get a lot of insects in the summer because of the stream behind our house (in the woods) and pools of standing water.  Bats are pretty amazing!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #721 on: December 05, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
Yes bats are amazing.  I wish there were more in my neighborhood.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #722 on: December 05, 2013, 09:41:58 PM »
One evening at one of our local dog parks, we were just getting ready to leave to come home (so I already had my dog leashed) when a woman on the path motioned for me to stop, then pointed at the edge of one of the park's treed areas.  Standing there watching all the people and their dogs was a coyote.  I never would have thought they'd be so bold as to come to a place so full of people and dogs, but I guess they are.

Before the woman could stop her dog, he was off after the coyote.  Any other dog I'd have been more concerned but he was an Irish wolfhound.  Things did not end well for that coyote.  And yes, the lady did try to stop her dog; she certainly didn't encourage him to go after the coyote.  It's just lucky that the dog was big and strong enough to handle it and I guess it also goes to show that no amount of training will overcome instinct.  In the end the dog was totally unharmed and the coyote, well...he became an ex-coyote.

Monty Python reference!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #723 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:17 PM »
Before the woman could stop her dog, he was off after the coyote.  Any other dog I'd have been more concerned but he was an Irish wolfhound.
As far as the Irish wolfhound was concerned, a coyote is just a rather scrawny wolf.  (Yes, I know, different critters to us, but not to Mr. Wolfhound.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #724 on: December 05, 2013, 11:35:50 PM »
One evening at one of our local dog parks, we were just getting ready to leave to come home (so I already had my dog leashed) when a woman on the path motioned for me to stop, then pointed at the edge of one of the park's treed areas.  Standing there watching all the people and their dogs was a coyote.  I never would have thought they'd be so bold as to come to a place so full of people and dogs, but I guess they are.

Before the woman could stop her dog, he was off after the coyote.  Any other dog I'd have been more concerned but he was an Irish wolfhound.  Things did not end well for that coyote.  And yes, the lady did try to stop her dog; she certainly didn't encourage him to go after the coyote.  It's just lucky that the dog was big and strong enough to handle it and I guess it also goes to show that no amount of training will overcome instinct.  In the end the dog was totally unharmed and the coyote, well...he became an ex-coyote.

There is a pack of coyotes at the national zoo/Rock creek park.  the first time I heard them yipping in the early morning during a run I stopped cold

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #725 on: December 06, 2013, 09:51:46 AM »

It's truly amazing how dogs can maintain their breed instinct for what they're meant to hunt. We had a corgi once who would nearly launch himself through the car window whenever we drove past a field of cattle.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #726 on: December 06, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »
We got a Llahso Apso (Tibetian sheepdog) from the pound that had been a show dog because its owner was aging & moving into an apartment.  It was several generations removed from any contact with sheep.  This was in the early 1970s. 

My brothers were raising a lamb, too - we were living in very small town (village isn't a term used in the USA).  Garden, sheep, chickens, etc....the whole works.

That dog herded that poor half-grown sheep from water, to grass, to shade, and back several times an hour the first few days we had him.  He was ecstatic to have even that tiny "herd" of one sheep...although he did let the poor sheep graze for longer periods of time after the first couple of days. 

The poor sheep, on the other hand, was very, very confused by why the long haired what-ever-it-was kept making it move from one spot in the back yard to another...sheep aren't very bright and I don't think it ever figured out that it now had a "sheep dog". 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:26:56 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #727 on: December 06, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »
Aww, thats rather cute.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #728 on: December 06, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »
This happened a couple of weeks ago.   I work part-time in a garage, at the reception desk.  It's a VERY small shop, and in the evenings, there's usually just me and one mechanic.  He came up to the waiting room one evening and said that his brother-in-law had called, and there was a guy in our area who had shot a cop, and there was a manhunt going on Right There.  He'd locked up the garage doors and I locked up the waiting room doors, and we just waited and watched in side.  There were helicopters everywhere, because our garage was kind of at the end of a road, so a little bit isolated.  I watched and unlocked the door for customers, but otherwise we just waited and watched.  At the end of the day we locked up and went home.  The manhunt had moved far enough away that I could run to my car and lock myself in and drive off really quickly.
That was the scariest thing I'd ever experienced.

Kariachi

« Reply #729 on: December 06, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
Two things that recent posts brought to mind:

The Pallet Truck
- We live just down the street from an apple orchard. Like, 'four minute walk' down the street. The street by the orchard has a ditch on either side. So imagine how the poor truck driver had to feel when he drove out of the orchard and straight into the far ditch. Then, he tried to back out of the ditch, and got his back end stuck in the other one.

So, we have a truck with it's cab in a ditch on one side of the road, and it's rear axle in a ditch on the other side of the road.

Thankfully for those of us who weren't driving an all-terrain vehicle at the time, and so couldn't just drive around him, there are no dead-ends in my area. Everywhere is connected and it's impossible to truly get lost.

They did manage to get him out, although it took a few hours and a lot of work.

Raptors- We're actually pretty good on large birds. We've got plenty of falcons around, there's a great big hawk (can't remember the species) that lives in our area, and if you go a week without seeing a vulture you start to worry. We are up to our ears in turkey vultures. I don't know about ospreys though.

Also, we live in that small patch of NY where bald eagles breed, so there's that. Although normally they aren't in our particular area, which made seeing one this year a real treat.

I don't know about owls either, but I do have to assume we have a few bats around because bugs aren't that big a problem.

Really, when it comes to the raptors, I'm willing to bet they aren't even bothering with the rodents in our area. Cats handle that. So they're probably living off the cats.  ::)
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #730 on: December 06, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »
We got a Llahso Apso (Tibetian sheepdog) from the pound that had been a show dog because its owner was aging & moving into an apartment.  It was several generations removed from any contact with sheep.  This was in the early 1970s. 

My brothers were raising a lamb, too - we were living in very small town (village isn't a term used in the USA).  Garden, sheep, chickens, etc....the whole works.

That dog herded that poor half-grown sheep from water, to grass, to shade, and back several times an hour the first few days we had him.  He was ecstatic to have even that tiny "herd" of one sheep...although he did let the poor sheep graze for longer periods of time after the first couple of days. 

The poor sheep, on the other hand, was very, very confused by why the long haired what-ever-it-was kept making it move from one spot in the back yard to another...sheep aren't very bright and I don't think it ever figured out that it now had a "sheep dog".
My sister told me a story that happened to a friend of hers.  It may have been posted on Ravelry, but I can't find it if it was.  Anyway, Friend had one of the dogs that were originally bred to be herd guards.  Friend was also starting to get into spinning and had bought a whole raw fleece.  Sheep are not the pure white, puffy, cloudlike creatures that they are in cartoons -- raw fleeces can be very dirty.  So after checking on the best way to wash this fleece, she put it to soak in a kiddy wading pool in the back yard.

Dog did NOT like this one bit!  He barked and barked at the back door until someone let him out.  He raced over to the kiddy pool and dragged the fleece out of it to safety.  He laid on top of it and refused to let anyone near it.  People so careless as to let a sheep drown in the kiddy pool just were not proper guardians.  He was here now, and by Dog, he was going to guard it PROPERLY!
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Susiqzer

« Reply #731 on: December 06, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »
You can build a barn owl box, I have seen instructions online. They will keep your rodent population down and are beautiful birds.

We built several owl boxes in our yard... squirrels moved in.   >:(

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #732 on: December 06, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »

My sister told me a story that happened to a friend of hers.  It may have been posted on Ravelry, but I can't find it if it was.  Anyway, Friend had one of the dogs that were originally bred to be herd guards.  Friend was also starting to get into spinning and had bought a whole raw fleece.  Sheep are not the pure white, puffy, cloudlike creatures that they are in cartoons -- raw fleeces can be very dirty.  So after checking on the best way to wash this fleece, she put it to soak in a kiddy wading pool in the back yard.

Dog did NOT like this one bit!  He barked and barked at the back door until someone let him out.  He raced over to the kiddy pool and dragged the fleece out of it to safety.  He laid on top of it and refused to let anyone near it.  People so careless as to let a sheep drown in the kiddy pool just were not proper guardians.  He was here now, and by Dog, he was going to guard it PROPERLY!

LOL poor sister.  although I think you get lanolin from soaking the fleece in water and skimming it off the top.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #733 on: December 06, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
You can build a barn owl box, I have seen instructions online. They will keep your rodent population down and are beautiful birds.

We built several owl boxes in our yard... squirrels moved in.   >:(
Sorry, but this made me laugh out loud! 

cwm

« Reply #734 on: December 06, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »
We've got red-tailed hawks all over the neighborhood I grew up in. Mom still lives there, so I go back a lot, and I've seen one in the tree out front, and sometimes on the chimney. He's never been enjoying a meal there, but it's still nice seeing him.

My friend lives near a park (walking distance), and the park is part of a huge creekside park system. This is well into the suburbs, as you've got to drive for at least forty five minutes in any direction to get to anything resembling rural areas. And there's a small population of deer that live in this creekside park system, which goes for miles along the creek. We've seen them several times, usually in the evenings when we go for walks. It's so nice, being the only people in the park and coming across these creatures. We'd just sit there watching them quietly. Sometimes they noticed us and didn't care, they'd go on about their business until it was time to go. It was amazing.