Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 101327 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #765 on: February 05, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »
Why would a highway department person need a machete though? 

What a silly question.  Machetes are awesome.  Who wouldn't need one? ;)

I have a friend who lives in an extremely rural part of a foreign country that would be considered "third world."  Last year, her son was kidnapped (she was also taken briefly, but let go).  Kidnappings for ransom are not uncommon there.  Anyway, he was ultimately let go and survived the incident fine. 

She was talking to a bunch of friends on Facebook later, and she mentioned that her son said something like, "Hey, Mom, since I had to go through that kidnapping and all, don't you think I should get to have a pocketknife now?"

The rest of us were like, "Yes, seriously, get the kid a pocketknife!  You live in <foreign country> and he can't even have his own knife?"

She immediately realized that we were all misunderstanding, and she said, "Oh, no, it's not that he can't have the knife because we're overprotective or anything.  I mean, he has a machete, of course, even little kids do here.  It's just that he's lost several pocketknives and we don't want to buy him another one for him to lose."

cattlekid

Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #766 on: February 05, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
Not horrifically strange or scary, but I was out shoveling the driveway this morning and a coyote walked down the shoveled sidewalk towards me plain as day.  Our eyes met for a second and I wasn't sure whether to make a break for the garage or stand my ground.  So I kept shoveling and kept an eye on Mr. Coyote.  He made a right hand turn and headed off between our house and the neighbor's so all's well that ends well.

I'm just glad that the coyote didn't sneak up on me when I had my back turned.  I had heard news reports that the coyotes are getting bolder (we live in the middle of suburbia) due to the rough winter, but didn't know just how bold they were getting.

doodlemor

« Reply #767 on: February 05, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »
Not horrifically strange or scary, but I was out shoveling the driveway this morning and a coyote walked down the shoveled sidewalk towards me plain as day.  Our eyes met for a second and I wasn't sure whether to make a break for the garage or stand my ground.  So I kept shoveling and kept an eye on Mr. Coyote.  He made a right hand turn and headed off between our house and the neighbor's so all's well that ends well.

I'm just glad that the coyote didn't sneak up on me when I had my back turned.  I had heard news reports that the coyotes are getting bolder (we live in the middle of suburbia) due to the rough winter, but didn't know just how bold they were getting.

You are very brave, cattlekid.  I think that this is very scary, especially since the creature was hungry and looking for food. 

We've had foxes and a bear in our neighborhood.  Some raccoons used to hang out on our deck.  [This was not appreciated by our territorial indoor cat.] 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #768 on: February 05, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »
A couple of weeks ago a man renting a room from my next-door neighbors was found murdered in his room.  I don't know them and they keep very much to themselves; in fact, I found out what had happened from a reporter.  There was crime scene tape up and for at least 48 hours there were police vehicles in front of the house.  I was even interviewed by a police detective, but I couldn't tell him anything except that I'd seen two of the people who live there arguing in the front yard as they were being picked up for what I later discovered was a funeral service for a different family member, and this happened the day before the murder.  I couldn't tell him what was being said, as I don't speak the same language, but they didn't look happy with each other. 

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #769 on: February 06, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »
Why would a highway department person need a machete though? 

What a silly question.  Machetes are awesome.  Who wouldn't need one? ;)

Yep, he was cutting through underbrush to get to his viewing stand (that looked like a deer stand).  Our parking lot abutted the conservation land which had no trails, so it was really bramble-y.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

BarensMom

« Reply #770 on: February 06, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »

You are very brave, cattlekid.  I think that this is very scary, especially since the creature was hungry and looking for food. 

We've had foxes and a bear in our neighborhood.  Some raccoons used to hang out on our deck.  [This was not appreciated by our territorial indoor cat.]

Some moron is feeding a coyote in our neighborhood.  Similar to Cattlekid, the durn thing walks down the road as bold as you please.   Fortunately, Baren and I have only come across him once on our walk.  They looked at each other, wagged tails, then coyote went about his business.  From across the street, it looks almost like an unkempt beige dog.  Any closer and it would have gotten the zap cane.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #771 on: February 06, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »

Some moron is feeding a coyote in our neighborhood.  Similar to Cattlekid, the durn thing walks down the road as bold as you please.   Fortunately, Baren and I have only come across him once on our walk.  They looked at each other, wagged tails, then coyote went about his business.  From across the street, it looks almost like an unkempt beige dog.  Any closer and it would have gotten the zap cane.

How do you know someone is feeding him?

BarensMom

« Reply #772 on: February 06, 2014, 10:56:38 AM »
It's common knowledge in the neighborhood.  He's always seen around one particular house, and there's a big bowl of food (coyote chow?) in front.  The occupant owns no animals of his/her own.  Us neighbors think that whoever lives there thinks it's a stray dog, or that they're trying to tame the thing into a pet.

Animal Control has been called, but by the time they arrive, it's slunk back into the hills.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #773 on: February 06, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »

Coyote attacks on humans are very, very rare. If you have cats or small dogs, however, keep them inside.

There are coyotes all over the place where I live. Here are my two favorite coyote stories.

One

My husband's and my prior residence was up in the foothills of the mountains on the far east side of town. There was a lot of space between properties there at the time, though it has unfortunately been built up since.

One evening we were visiting our landlady's elderly mother, who was in another house on the same property. The three of us were sitting in the kitchen chatting and I was facing a short hallway, at the end of which was her front screen door. The bottom two and a half feet of the door was wood and the rest was screen.

I glanced down the hallway to the door for a moment and was startled to see a coyote standing on his hind legs with his front feet at the top of the wooden part of the door, peering in like he wanted to come inside and join the conversation. It was really pretty cute.

Naturally when I alerted the others, he scampered off in a hurry and they didn't see him.

Two

Brittany, our American Foxhound, had slipped out our gate one day and was running loose. This is a Code Red Emergency, as Foxhounds don't have a homing instinct and will just keeping going and going and going. My husband and I both got in our cars and headed out to look for her.

We're in a rural area where all the roads are dirt. As I was bumping along one such road, I spotted a man on his property tending to his horses. I came to a halt and shouted through the window, "Have you seen a dog running loose?"

He looked up, paused a minute, and said, "Just that one right there" as he pointed to the other side of the road just ahead of my car. Looking that direction, I saw a large, healthy coyote sitting by the side of the road like a regular old doggie, checking both of us out. He was about four feet from my car.

Eventually he sauntered off casually.

(Yes, we did find Brittany. The ditz...)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #774 on: February 06, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »
My son came home from school today to find the police surrounding the vacant lot next to our complex. Later, he saw the SWAT team there. I don't know the whole story yet.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #775 on: February 06, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
It's common knowledge in the neighborhood.  He's always seen around one particular house, and there's a big bowl of food (coyote chow?) in front.  The occupant owns no animals of his/her own.  Us neighbors think that whoever lives there thinks it's a stray dog, or that they're trying to tame the thing into a pet.

Animal Control has been called, but by the time they arrive, it's slunk back into the hills.

One think I find interesting is the difference between eastern and western coyotes.  Out in the west they are much skinnier and scraggly looking.  Here in the DC Metro Area, the first time I saw one, I thought it was a very well fed mutt :P

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #776 on: February 06, 2014, 09:14:28 PM »

One think I find interesting is the difference between eastern and western coyotes.  Out in the west they are much skinnier and scraggly looking.  Here in the DC Metro Area, the first time I saw one, I thought it was a very well fed mutt :P

Maybe that's because Metro Mutt ate all the scraggly ones on both coasts.   :-\

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #777 on: February 06, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »

??? :-[

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #778 on: February 06, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »

??? :-[

*teeny little voice*  Sorry.  I was just kidding.   :(

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #779 on: February 07, 2014, 12:44:08 AM »

People have done a good deal of comparison between the eastern and western coyotes and the popular theory at the moment is that the eastern ones have a good deal of wolf ancestry. I don't know whether anyone has done DNA testing to confirm this, though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:14:54 PM by bansidhe »
Esan ozenki!

Arizona