Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 96423 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Not something that happened while I lived in my neighborhood, but the aftermath, etc. was scary to all of us.  Pretty famous case; In the early 1970's, a man killed his entire family, wife, mother and 3 kids, and left them in their house.  Where they were not discovered until a month later.  He had arranged with the kid's schools etc. for them to be away, so no one missed any of them, until the neighbors got suspicious that lights left on had burned out, called police, who found them.   He managed to escape, and stay on the run for almost 18 years, under an assumed name, doing what he had done before, workwise.  Until he was profiled on America's Most Wanted, and the eerie thing was the bust that was made of what they thought he might look like, was quite accurate, right down to his eyeglasses!

Anyway, the scary part was when I was 12/13, and my parents would go out and leave me and a friend home, we would scare ourselves silly, thinking he was coming to get us, since he hadn't been caught...but after he was, we realized that there was no way he would have; he just snapped, and then continued on with his life.   

Reuth

I think it's the fact that the creepy guy specifically mentioned the police when it was obvious that the jumper needed medical attention as a priority.   Most people's reaction would probably be, "Someone's hurt, I need to call for medical assistance.", but his was, "This guy jumped, I need to get the police to deal with it.".  To me, that doesn't seem like a normal reaction to such a situation.

I might think of the police first, though. In my mind it's just one big "emergency services" entity. If you call the police about someone who's hurt, they are naturally going to send out an ambulance as well.

P-p-p-penguin

• Crazy... but that's how it goes
I think it's the fact that the creepy guy specifically mentioned the police when it was obvious that the jumper needed medical attention as a priority.   Most people's reaction would probably be, "Someone's hurt, I need to call for medical assistance.", but his was, "This guy jumped, I need to get the police to deal with it.".  To me, that doesn't seem like a normal reaction to such a situation.

I might think of the police first, though. In my mind it's just one big "emergency services" entity. If you call the police about someone who's hurt, they are naturally going to send out an ambulance as well.

Yeah, if you call the emergency services and both ambulance and police are needed then they will both be sent, but it still doesn't make sense to me that if someone witnesses their friend hurt in an accident their first, immediate thought is to call the police, and not to call an ambulance.  You call out the one that is the biggest priority, which in the situation we are discussing, would have been an ambulance.

Reuth

It makes perfect sense to me. Police = help. I might very well say "police" even though I meant "emergency services". It isn't what you would do, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Phoebelion

Next door house was rental with 3 guys living there.  They kept to themselves,  so really didn't pay too much attention to them.  Woke up to glass breaking, spot lights, etc.   They were raiding the house - they were drug dealers.  The cops left the house wide open.   Don't know if they called the owner to board up - if they did, he didn't show til the next day.  I knew there was a pup in the house, but didn't see any of the cops carry him out.  Got dressed and went to the door calling.  Here comes the pup.  I snatched him up.  And kept him - no one ever came looking for him. 

Had a huge oversize bay window in the front room.  Was home along watching TV - was going thu divorce.    Knock at door - was the cops.  They asked me if I was OK.  Responded I was.  They told me that neighbor had reported a peeping Tom - you could see the foot prints in the snow where he had been standing looking in the front bay window.   Neighbor comes over and tells us that it was the soon to be Ex DH.  He admitted to it when they questioned him so he went to jail for a little while.  Worst part, the judge wouldn't give me a restraining order even tho I had added proof of intend to harm - he had left a message on my answering machine that he was gonna burn the house down with me in it.   

P-p-p-penguin

It makes perfect sense to me. Police = help. I might very well say "police" even though I meant "emergency services". It isn't what you would do, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying that to me it doesn't make sense, and is what I understood Akarui Kibuno to be thinking.

Had a huge oversize bay window in the front room.  Was home along watching TV - was going thu divorce.    Knock at door - was the cops.  They asked me if I was OK.  Responded I was.  They told me that neighbor had reported a peeping Tom - you could see the foot prints in the snow where he had been standing looking in the front bay window.   Neighbor comes over and tells us that it was the soon to be Ex DH.  He admitted to it when they questioned him so he went to jail for a little while.  Worst part, the judge wouldn't give me a restraining order even tho I had added proof of intend to harm - he had left a message on my answering machine that he was gonna burn the house down with me in it.   

Ooo that made me shudder it was so creepy  :-\
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:53:37 AM by P-p-p-penguin »

Reuth

And I'm explaining to you that it does make sense to other people.

P-p-p-penguin

And I'm explaining to you that it does make sense to other people.

Yeah, I get that, but people seemed to confused about AK's reasoning and so I offered how I understood the situation.

2littlemonkeys

I live in a rather exciting neighborhood.  To date, I have witnessed:

a body lying in the street post drive by shooting (DH saw the whole thing).  People were stepping over the body as they encountered it on the sidewalk.  I like to think it was shock.  Later, and before the body was removed, the lookey-lous came out.  Some of them had toddlers with them.  That broke my brain a little bit.  We were doing everything we could to keep our kids away from the window so they wouldn'tsee.

another shooting right in front of our house (as in the SOC folks used our gate as a tape anchor and had markers for the shell casings that were found on our part of the sidewalk.  People were wounded but thankfully, no one was killed.

more drug deals than I care to count. 

more drug busts than I care to count

the beatings of two random people on the street.  I was getting off the train and happened to be walking behind another person.  This woman (who appeared to be high on something other than life) walked up to him and punched him in the face.  Then she hit another man who was walking around us.  I was terrified because I thought I was next.  Then someone tackled her and a whole bunch of people were calling 911.  I didn't stick around to find out how that ended. 

This isn't really scary but really?

Before we put up our gate, we'd have...uh...professional women...uh...working with their clients in our backyard.  I actually got into an argument with one of them about her right to be there.  I know, I know.  I should not have engaged the crazy.  It was a very surreal experience.

I'm sad and angry because this used to be a decent place to live.  It was never going to be a posh neighborhood but it was friendly and you generally felt safe.  We're moving as soon as we can afford it.

Jaelle

You know, at first I just thought of police/emergency-related stuff, but I guess this would qualify for this thread, too.

I live in Buffalo, NY. I've seen a lot of snow. But the October snowstorm of 2006 was something I will never forget for the rest of my life.

When it started coming down, I thought, "Wow! That's early even for here!" And it got worse. And worse. Tree branches ... still covered in leaves ... were getting covered with this wet, sodden snow. Then we started hearing the "crack" overhead. The power went out. We huddled in bed with our toddler, listening to the trees crackle overhead (and the occasional "thud" of falling branches ... and trees).

The power didn't come back on for eight days.

The scene when we got up in the morning was ... surreal. Trees and branches were down everywhere. Our road was completely blocked. Everything was coated with this heavy, frosting-like snow. People were just out wandering in amazement. And was so quiet ...

I'll try posting some pix later.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Akarui Kibuno

That's exactly my reasoning :) .

My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Some years ago, I was at home when a rather heavy thunderstorm came over the neighborhood.  There was a lot of thunder and lightning but I didn't pay it much mind because it had been a very rainy season and  there was also a lot of noise from construction in the area.

Around noon the weather cleared and I went out to buy some groceries. 

My jaw dropped!  What I had heard wasn't just thunder and lightning, it was the collapse of a house next to a construction site only about 100 steps away.

The scene was surreal.  One brick wall of a three story building just sheared off.  It was like looking into a doll's house.  In the kitchen there was a skillet on the stove.  The table had a cloth on it and chairs around it. 

You could see a child's bedroom with posters on the walls and a stuffed toy on the bed.

The living room had the TV  and a few chairs in place but the sofa was hanging off the edge.

The building had to be demolished.  We were told that there were no serious injuries but that sight still haunts my mind.         

Reader

Got a few.  When I was twenty one I was sharing an apartment with a now ex.  Was working at Taco Bell at the time and on Sunday I had decided to stay over and help out because we had been short staffed that day.  Got home to the apartment and there was a Sheriff's card stuck in my doorway with instructions to call them when I got home.  Turned out a child about 5-7 in the neighboring apartment had taken shots at his mother, I think he actually hit her with one of the bullets but had missed with his other shots.  The sheriff was sure one bullet had come through the wall and wanted to collect the evidence.  I hung up and went looking making sure not to touch anything and sure enough in the bedroom closet wall was a big hole and the bullet was on the floor.

At my current address I have lived there for about 13 years.  Two house down is a four unit rental house.  Previous owners were not to careful about who they rented to.  Came home twice to see a SWAT van and police in what looked like full riot gear, bullet proof vests, helmets and assault rifles closing in on this house.  It still boggles me to this day the neighbor lady to my right that walked herself and her young children down towards that house each time the cops were there.  While myself on the other hand rushed off to run whatever errands I could think of just to be out of the line of fire should any shots be fired.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
High School

Freshman Year-School is burned to the ground. It was arson. Everyone "knows" the troublemakers who did it, but police couldn't gather enough evidence to convict.

Sophomore Year-Using debris from the previous years' fire, the students have a race riot. That was a fun day.

Junior Year-A teacher muders his girlfriend. It takes police a few days to figure out hedunit, so he continues coming to school to teach until they make the arrest.

Senior Year-One student rapes and attempts to murder one of the other students. Luckily, he left the knife in her throat so she didn't bleed out as fast as she would have otherwise, so she does survive, luckily.

I don't have many fond memories of HS.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

P-p-p-penguin

Oh I didn't think about natural disasters.  The town I grew up in is a small, coastal town in the south of England which, surprisingly, is a bit of a tornado hotspot.  I think it's to do with the location and because it juts out into the sea... I'm not sure. 

Anyway, most of the tornados are small and happen out at sea, but in the late-1990's we had one that hit the land and made it's way across town causing £10m worth of damage!  People's rooves were damaged, windows broken, fences ripped up, trees fallen.  The town is host to a very large campsite and a lot of the caravans were ruined as it caused flooding in that area.  One person's house had an entire wall ripped off, and a man got pulled out of his bulldozer when it actually hit (he was fine, he clung to the door).  It also wrecked the observatory of a famous British astronomer who lives in the town.

I don't remember the weather beforehand but according to reports there was thunder and lightning, hailstones, and strong winds.  All I remember is thinking how cool and exciting it was that (a) we got the day off school; and (b) our tiny little town was on national news!