Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 96713 times)

Malaika

I was driving to a dinner one night when I took the wrong exit off the interstate (though I didn't realize that at the time).  I topped a hill to find what looked like every cop car in my city down at the intersection (my city has 600,000 people within the limits).  Cop cars come rocketing past my car (now stopped in traffic), sirens blazing, every few seconds.  By the time I got away from the area, I estimated there were probably 50 or more cop cars from my city, the county and the state.  The police chopper is buzzing around and I finally figure out what's going on.  Two fugitives had escaped from a jail a couple of states over and for the past few days, moved around the region.  They had killed one person thus far and were considered very bad dudes.  They wrecked one of their getaway cars in a chase with police and tried to escape into some woods (which were actually on the corporate campus of my city's largest employer...they didn't get but a few feet from the road).  By the time I came along, they had been captured for 15-25 minutes so I wasn't in danger and just got to watch the spectacle. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Interupting the burglary at my office was probably the most dramatic thing I've seen (probably for me AND the burglars).
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
When I lived in Lawton, OK:
The soldiers at FT. Sill missed the target with their 1,000lb artillery shell.
The guy a few blocks away killed his whole family
The transformer that blew next to our yard
Fire at a dairy farm a few miles away
Gunshots every night

Owasso, OK
The ice storm in 2007 that took out all the trees and telephone poles for miles.

Where I live now:
Fire a mile away
Near tornado that blew all the trees down where I work
Cougers screaming in the middle of the night
One of my favorite goats being torn to pieces by my landlords dog

Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
And there was this, less horrifying but still scary: Fire alarm started going off in my neighbor's condo and there was screaming, and noises of running around or banging things. I went to look and the front door was open, and my other neighbor (a nurse) was inside, smoke filling the place. It turned out there had been a grease fire and the girl threw water on it. She was OK in the end though. (After a trip to the ER.)

Was she frying pickles?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:56:47 AM by Fluffy Cat »
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

JadeAngel

This is the yard of one of my neighbors:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/jenniferjo/3Points_neighbor_120605b.jpg

YIKES!  That is... wow... it's just...  You guys don't get much rain, do you?

Nope. It stays nice and shiny.  :D

Wow... that's just an accident waiting to happen!  ;D

I have quite a few, but will settle for just these four;

A few years ago when my city was hosting the Commonwealth Games security was being ramped up in preparation for the arrival of the athletes. It was quite surreal to be sitting in an outdoor cafe on the beach on a bright sunny Saturday morning and waving as a huge Blackhawk helicopter bristling with men in black body armor clutching automatic weaponry repeatedly flew past overhead...

I was alone in my apartment one morning, and awoke to hear a sort of thumping at my back door, and also knocking at the front door. Fortunately I opened the front door first and was greeted by two police officers who advised me that my upstairs neighbour had called them because she had seen someone trying to break in through my back door. I let them in and they opened the backdoor, whereupon my would be burglar fled. But it was no matter because the upstairs neighbour who called the police recognised him, she worked at the pharmacy where he went to get his methadone, and was able to give a name as well as a full description.

I was in the same apartment one evening when I heard the crash of breaking glass. Having rather more curiosity than sense I ventured out to investigate and discovered that someone had thrown a large rock through the front window of the rollerblade shop on the corner. As I was standing there, a second person has come up to the shop and started pulling the broken glass out of the frame. When I asked him what he was doing he told me that he was planning to steal some rollerblades since the window was already broken. I went back to the apartment and was talking to my upstairs neighbours I heard the shop alarm go off and a short time later the same man walked around the corner with a pair of rollerblades under each arm. He's come up to me (as I'm standing there goggling at him with my flabber officially gasted) and said 'you think what I'm doing is wrong?' to which I could only reply that 'well yes, it's called stealing.'

The funniest part was that the police arrived and as soon as we started describing the man they both went 'Oh for the love of little apples, not him again!' and they went to his home and found the stolen rollerblades under his bed. I had to give a report, which I kept a copy of as it's one of the funniest documents I've ever put my name to.

Last one, same apartment (I think you can guess why I eventually moved) A few of us were having a BBQ in our communal courtyard which was next door to a hotel/rooming house, which had quite a reputation as a rough and ready place. Through an open window we could hear a man and a woman arguing loudly. I'll spare you the details, the general thrust was that he was stupid, she was lazy and they were both sick of each other.

Then we hear him say 'Oh really? You're going to stab me then are you? Well go on then, stab me!' We're all looking at each other goggle eyed when there's a scream followed by 'You *expletive* you stabbed me!' Cue a scramble for our phones, followed by the arrival of police and ambulance on the scene. He left the hotel on a gurney, she left in handcuffs and we were all left sitting there looking at each other going 'Did that actually just happen?'  :o

The lesson here is, do not taunt the woman holding the knife, just locate the nearest exit and use it expeditiously.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
WARNING: Murder and death

Two murders. One in the apartment complex at the end of the street (where my sister was living at the time). It was a serial killer from Ohio who followed the victim from Ohio, dispatched her and fled. He still hasn't been apprehended.

Second was at the other end of the street. Gang-related. The gentleman owned a store in a dicey neighborhood and two of the gang members got mad at him for something, then called him at 5:00 AM to say someone was robbing his store. When he walked out of his house, they shot him. His wife shot one of the gangers, who ran away (leaving a trail of blood) and later died in the hospital.

Other incidents: The apartment house caught fire TWICE, once from kids shooting off fireworks on the 4th of July. We also had a very weird neighbor who got himself killed pulling down a tree. He had an unlicensed tree service, and he went to take down a neighbor's tree, which fell on him and killed him. That same neighbor took in boarders and one of the weirdos living there followed me up the street on my nightly walk. When I noticed he was behind me, I whirled around to look at him and he suddenly got very interested in another neighbor's garden. We were glad when that bunch moved out.

One night a young Latino man showed up on our doorstep screaming that he'd been assaulted, someone had tried to steal his paycheck. We called the police and told the man to lie down on the porch as no one would be able to see him there (my porch is behind the azalea garden). He wanted to use our phone, but Chip said no, although he took the cordless out. I listened in on the conversation at the base phone to see if there was I should know. Most of which went over my head, because it was in Spanish, but I did gather that the young man was telling the truth and the person to whom he was speaking (I think it was his father) was genuinely concerned. The police arrived and I asked, "Do you speak Spanish?" The cop said no, and I said, "You need to get someone out here who speaks Spanish. He's so upset he's not making much sense in English." The police complied, and as they left with the young man, the phone rang. I answered and someone asked me something in Spanish. I recognized the voice as the man the assault victim had spoken to. So I said, "Policia arrivo, he is safe. He bueno." The man understood my Spanglish and thanked me.

Mostly it's a quiet, good neighborhood. We've just had some bad apples here and there.

Edited to add: How could I have forgotten? The house across the street caught fire (no one hurt) and I slept through the entire thing, the dogs barking, the fire trucks, the sirens, the water, everything. Chip woke me the next morning and said, "Cathy's house caught fire last night, just in case you go out and see the damage to the house." I said, "What?" He said, "You slept through it." Great. Obviously I slept better in those days than I do now.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:28:28 AM by Scritzy »
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Oh, hey, I forgot the serial rapist!

There was a rapist operating 1/2 mile from my house, if that counts as my neighborhood.  Here, I've been just talking about my block.  Hmm.  Does anything past your block count for these purposes?

Ligeia

Ours is sweeter than pie to the family, but downright dangerous to anyone who even looks at her people/yard/goats funny. (And the nieghbors... the ones that barely know her name? Yeah, those belong to her too.)

Oh, and they seem to need teritory. Ours one day decided the neighbor's kids belonged to her, and when a diffrent neighbor's vicious dog came into the yard and started growling and snapping at the running five year old she...

Well, the other dog didn't make it, and in fact I wouldn;t have even guessed it was a dog by the remains.  :-\

Oddly, this is the same dog that allows the neighbor kids to use her as a bench and helps clean baby goats so gently that she doesn't even make them sway.

Whoa. I love dogs, big dogs especially, but she's kept restrained somehow, right?  That story scares me a bit for some reason.  It's great if she saved the neighbor's kid from a vicious dog, but at the same time, if she's dangerous to people who just look askance at you . . .

I have a big dog (probably much smaller than yours!) who has a bit of an attitude problem.  He's never bitten anyone or even tried, but he barks and growls at strangers. His bark is literally worse than his nonexistent bite, but I keep him away from most others, since I don't want the liability if he does try something with someone (and I don't want to lose him, of course).  And it occurs to me that my growly dog wouldn't stand a chance near yours--she'd probably have a real problem with his bad attitude!

Did you have any fallout from the neighbors who lost their dog?

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
We had a 6ft river monitor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_monitor_lizard) loose in our area when I was in high school. He'd been a pet that was kept in an inproper enclosure.

People were warned to stay out of the lakes and inlets because they can be very very aggressive.

He was eventually caught and adopted by a local exotic pet store, which gave him a great room with a pool and everything. The lizard is very fat and happy now. The man who had owned it had admitted he couldn't care for it or contain it anymore.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Saro

Not as exciting, but:

This Place:

The neighbor who likes to shoot. Almost everyday I hear gunshots. He's a pretty nice guy according to my parents, but eep!

The guy across the street. He fights with his girlfriend alot loudly. On any given day I can hear shouting and cursing. He also lets his dog run loose. I hear can hear him whisting and shouting foe his dog who doesn't listen. The poor thing has been hit a few times and has gotten into people's yards.

There was a man a few weeks ago that dropped dead in a ditch near where I live. There was an investigation and everything. Rather surprising where I'm from.

Cows in the road.

Old Place:

Fire at the local bakery.

Someone broke intio our house and smashed our mailbox. Someone at school told me that they were looking for the girl next door and got the wrong house. Not sure how true that was consitering how badly I was abused at school.

The day the gas tanker exploded. I'm not sure how it started, but it was scary.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Ours is sweeter than pie to the family, but downright dangerous to anyone who even looks at her people/yard/goats funny. (And the nieghbors... the ones that barely know her name? Yeah, those belong to her too.)

Oh, and they seem to need teritory. Ours one day decided the neighbor's kids belonged to her, and when a diffrent neighbor's vicious dog came into the yard and started growling and snapping at the running five year old she...

Well, the other dog didn't make it, and in fact I wouldn;t have even guessed it was a dog by the remains.  :-\

Oddly, this is the same dog that allows the neighbor kids to use her as a bench and helps clean baby goats so gently that she doesn't even make them sway.

Whoa. I love dogs, big dogs especially, but she's kept restrained somehow, right?  That story scares me a bit for some reason.  It's great if she saved the neighbor's kid from a vicious dog, but at the same time, if she's dangerous to people who just look askance at you . . .

I have a big dog (probably much smaller than yours!) who has a bit of an attitude problem.  He's never bitten anyone or even tried, but he barks and growls at strangers. His bark is literally worse than his nonexistent bite, but I keep him away from most others, since I don't want the liability if he does try something with someone (and I don't want to lose him, of course).  And it occurs to me that my growly dog wouldn't stand a chance near yours--she'd probably have a real problem with his bad attitude!

Did you have any fallout from the neighbors who lost their dog?

The neighbors that lost their dog threw a fit, but when we threatened to turn them in for letting their dog on our property they backed down. None of our other neighbors mind her, although one called us to complain that she had gotten out (back when the fence was shorter) and was licking his sheep, and could we come get her please? But that was a long time ago.

And yeah, she has a very tall fence to keep her in now. Honestly, she has only actually attacked one person, and that person was beating my brother up and threatening me. She HAS "restrained" people who jumped our fence to steal goats though, and once lept the fence to chase someone down who had grabbed my duck. But she didn't hurt him, she just knocked him down and growled until Dad called her back. She's not much of a biter, but she's pretty intimidating.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
The Border Crossers

My place is about 30 minutes from the Mexican border so it's no surprise that on numerous occasions, we've run into folks who are trying to walk from Mexico to various points in southern Arizona. (I'm in the Tucson sector: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/jenniferjo/Border_deaths.jpg.) One encounter sticks in my memory more than the others.

A border crosser stopped by our place one very hot morning in June. He was not in good shape: weak, dehydrated, and barely able to remain standing. We were horrified and amazed to see that he had his dog with him. The dog appeared to be a Bulldog cross and was panting heavily, but otherwise didn't look too bad. Owner was asking for directions to Mesa, which is a two-hour drive from my place and he would be dead long before he could make it there.

We called for help. While we were waiting for someone to arrive, we rushed inside to get food and water for both the man and the dog. (And what does my husband offer the man? Crackers. Nice dry, salty crackers. Just what you'd want after walking through the hot desert with no water. I teased him about that for months.) The dog sucked down the food and water like he hadn't had any for days.

When help arrived, they loaded the man into an ambulance but no one was paying any attention to the dog. I couldn't come up with enough Spanish to ask the owner about him, but one of the paramedics did. Turns out the man had actually seen the dog for the first time about five minutes before arriving at our place. He belonged to one of our neighbors and had just decided to follow the guy. Then he pulled off the "poor immigrant dog" act well enough to score a large, free meal at our place.

I still see the dog sometimes.

Actually, carbs and salt, as long as you get lots of water with it, sounds pretty good...
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

lipli

WARNING: 1ST MENTIONS ANIMAL ABUSE, 2ND MENTIONS MURDER.

1st:  Actually my grandparents house but I spent a lot of time down there when I was growing up that I can claim it. :)  They live in the middle of nowhere. Only recently was the road paved.  So lots of animals (wild, domestic and farm) and farm land.  They have an neighbor their age who has apparently lost it.  He keeps poisoning my grandparents dogs and cats. 

That's not the craziest story yet.  My cousin lived with my grandparents and one afternoon decided to take a walk for exercise.  On her way back, another neighbor's dog started walking with her.  She couldn't get the dog to go home so she decided to let it follow her and she would call the neighbors when she got back.  She walks by the crazy neighbor's house and he starts shooting at her and the dog.  She starts screaming at him.  He realizes that she's there too and stops shooting at them.  My grandmother went over and reamed him out later.  Apparently he didn't see her and started shooting at the dog and only narrowly missed my cousin.  Please note they were nowhere near his land.  He just wanted to kill a dog.  He's absolutely crazy. 

2nd:  My mom doesn't have the best relationship with reality so I hope that this story isn't true.  She also lives in a bitty town so I can't figure out a way to confirm it.  She lives up north where snow can stay on the ground for a while.  The house next to her was obviously some sort of drug house.  Apparently, a drug deal (or something) went wrong because once the snow had melted, they found a body hidden underneath a truck.  Due to the height and coldness of the snow, the body went undetected until spring.  And she wonders why I refuse to visit.  No one lives in the house last time I was there (about a year ago) so it's just open for whatever (the owners have done nothing to secure it). 

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
OH! I have a juicy one that I can't believe I forgot.

When I was a kid there was a HUGE to-do on my street.

The father (of several, I forget how many) and husband in one house ran off with the babysitter - who was a young lady living across the street with her parents. It was very sudden, no one expected it.

Worst part was that after being missing for a couple weeks, they came back, expecting to move in with the girl's parents. Girls parents, shocked and appauled at their daughter's behavior, refused to even open the door.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

nalapuppy

• always drink upstream from the herd
My turn to add a story....
Story #1
One dark cold night, we (my then dh & I) received a phone call from our friends who lived directly behind us.  They told us to come to our shared backyard really quick.  I threw a coat on over my night gown, and stepped outside with my DH and our friends.  Down farther in the shared backyard, there were a large group of officers all dressed in black.  They were the local drug taskforce team.  Come to find out, our neighbor had been dealing drugs from his house.  The officers raided the house, and made several arrests.  Made for some interesting neighborhood gossip the next day.

Story #2
After moving to a different neighborhood, unfortunately my marriage imploded.  There were several bad incidences, but the one I'm telling about now is the most memorable to the neighborhood.  I ended up separating from my husband, and moving me & my kids into my sister's house, while he stayed in the house we had together.  After me telling him that there was no hope for us reconciling, he sent me a picture of him holding a gun to his head saying he was going to "give me what I wanted".  I called 911, and reported it.  The cops get to his house, and hear what they think are gunshots.  The cops surround the house, and make contact with my ex.  They end up blocking off the neighborhood and going door to door, telling the neighbors to stay inside---on account of possible gunshots.  Eventually, they talk my ex into coming outside; then took him to a mental facility for observation. 

Come to find out, the gun was only a bb gun--which wasn't obvious from the picture. The gunshots that the responding officers heard were from kids down the road shooting bottle rockets.  It was right around the 4th of July.