Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 97320 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
A forum friend says that the ideal thing for deskunking some critter that's tangled with them is Biz and Simple Green.  (Biz is a laundry detergent additive, Simple Green is a concentrated cleaning solution.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Iris

Re:  Elephants in the street.  That happened in a city near me not too long ago.  The circus was in town and the elephants (3) made a run for it.  A woman awoke to an elephant in her yard, nibbling on her shrubs.  She had to be quite insistent with the 911 operator to get a police response.

There were a few people wondering what they'd been drinking the night before as they drove past the elephants.  I'm surprised there weren't a bunch of traffic collisions that morning.

OT, but that would be. So. Cool. Dangerous, but worth it.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
This happened near where I used to live: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/27/national/27buffalo.html?_r=1  Made for a great picture, too.  :)  That must have been a fun 911 call, as well.  "Uh, yeah, there are bison on the tennis court...  No, I don't think they're playing tennis.  Well, it doesn't *say* no bison, but it does say shirt and shoes required and they are *definitely* not wearing those."

LadyJaneinMD

The last apartment complex I lived in had 19 fires in one year.  Yes, I said NINETEEN.    The first two fires were caused by electrical problems, destroyed a few buildings and people had to be moved.   The next 16 fires were little fires started in the laundry rooms by an arsonist. Lots of smoke and people driven out of their apartments, nobody hurt.  They caught the arsonist and we all breathed a sigh of relief, but then there was yet another electrical fire that destroyed 4 buildings, this one only a block from my apartment.
But....somewhere between the 18th and 19th fire, I had the incident that I will call

The Fire Alarm Cinnamon Rolls

I was making cinnamon rolls one day, and while they were baking, the smoke alarm goes off.  It goes off every time I used the stove or the oven, so I just fanned it off as usual.  It went on again.  And again.  Then the alarm in the bedroom started up.  I started to wonder (the rolls were out of the oven by now), and picked up my cell phone and called 911.  While on the phone with the dispatcher, I ran downstairs to check the laundry room.  No fire. 

So, the dispatcher is telling me to get OUT of the apartment, and I'm determined to FIND this fire, and get my cat packed up, and grab my purse first.  (The cat traveling case was by the front door, where it has resided since the first fire in the complex).    So while I'm running through my apartment (and probably sounding like I'm dying, seeing as I'm a rather large woman and just ran up and down stairs!), I went into the kitchen and realized that I had turned the oven to BROIL instead of OFF!   OH DUH!!   So I tell the dispatcher what's going on, and please cancel the firemen, and I start opening the windows.    She keeps telling me to get OUT, and I keep saying THERE IS NO FIRE!!   

So then the sirens are going, the fire trucks show up, and some (really good-looking!) firemen show up at my door!  I let them in and explain the problem and how embarrassed I am about it.  By this time, all of the windows are open and the fans are blowing, and the smoke alarms have been silenced.    They were very nice about it, and I offered them some freshly-baked cinnamon rolls, but they weren't interested.

But I'll never forget those cinnamon rolls.  They weren't my best effort, either. 

Oh go ahead and laugh.  I did.  It's a funny story!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:09:20 PM by LadyJaneinMD »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
I can think of three scary things.  One was natural, one was semi-natural and the other was not.

The first was a severe weather situation.  Our apartment has a northern exposure and the buildings are low.  From our dining table you can see the clouds moving in their normal west to east direction. 

It was a grey day with rain.  I alerted Mr. Thipu that the clouds were acting strangely.  One bank was moving in the normal way.  Further north, a second bank of clouds were moving from east to west. 

The sky went green and then black.  The noise became extremely loud.  Yup, we had a tornado in the neighborhood.  We were fine but there were a number of trees down and some damage to homes and cars a few blocks away. No one was seriously injured. 

The second took place just up the block.  Construction was going on for a group of townhouses.  The week had been rainy and the day was rainy again.  The rain let up for a bit and I went out to do some grocery shopping.  I was stopped dead in my tracks.

The entire side of a three-story brick building beside the construction site had slid off.  It was like
looking into a doll house.  No one was injured because everyone who lived there was either at work or at school.

Our neighborhood is normally very quiet.  However, on the way to work one day, I hit a hostage situation with SWAT teams, right next to a school.     

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
One of my coworkers came back to the office with some unusual pictures of a local drinking water pumphouse.  It was a very windy day yesterday and a farmer's fence had blown down.  Now, this would have been an unusual picture if the trespassers had been cows or sheep or goats.  Nope, they were bison!

We have a law here that there can be no nutrient spreading within 100 m of a municipal drinking water supply well.  The inspector for that area was ribbing the water superintendent that he was breaking the law.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

NyaChan

A landlady once told me about a house across the street from mine.  The wife and husband had gone on vacation leaving their teenage son at home.  One day, he set himself up in the top window of the house with his dad's gun like a sniper and was taking shots at the street.  As far as I remember, no one was hurt (bad shot I guess?), but the city's police force came out with the big shields and had to take the house.  It turned out that the son had gone off his meds in his parents' absence.  The house was empty for a long time, but finally sold again.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
Finally through this thread, with some good and scary reads.  My life is pretty much boring compared to some of the stuff here.  Aside from the occasional sonic boom, I live in a fairly uneventful town. :)

Though seeing escapee elephants.  I'd love to see that.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Though seeing escapee elephants.  I'd love to see that.
Not in my neighborhood, but Honolulu had an elephant escape and you would not have wanted to be anywhere close enough to see that.  If I recall correctly, the elephant's name was Tyke.  He attacked his handler, who I believe died of his injuries.  Then Tyke ran amok, he was on a rampage.  He went after anything he saw moving.  One guy was on the other side of a chain link fence, running away.  The chain link fence slowed Tyke down a bit, not much, but enough for the guy to put rows of parked cars between him and the elephant.

Sadly, the incident ended when Tyke was shot several times and killed.  I'm glad I didn't actually see Tyke escaping and I wish I hadn't seen the news showing it either.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Bijou

• Super Hero!
A forum friend says that the ideal thing for deskunking some critter that's tangled with them is Biz and Simple Green.  (Biz is a laundry detergent additive, Simple Green is a concentrated cleaning solution.)
I hadn't heard of that deskunker..
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

BarensMom

Don't remember posting this one:

One night we were awakened at midnight by the sound of helicopters and lights flashing on and off through our bedroom window.  We looked outside, and there were two helicopters flying around the neighborhood with their lights ablaze.  We then heard pounding on our front door, but we didn't answer it, because we didn't know what the heck was going on.  It lasted for some time, but finally calmed down enough for us to go back to sleep.

It turned out that a guy had stolen a truck from the coke plant on Highway 4, then drove to the condos next to our development.  He then went to the front door of one of the condos and shot through it, injuring a 4-year old girl.  He then ditched the truck, and hid in our neighbor's house until they opened the roadblock the next morning. 

That neighbor happened to be at his daughter's house and couldn't get through the roadblock the previous night.  He waited until the roadblock was down and the first car he saw driving down the road was his SUV.  The police chased the perp to Vallejo, where he crashed and totaled the SUV into a divider on Highway 80.

strawbabies

DH and I live about 2 1/2 hours away from Walt Disney World.  We had a breakfast reservation one time, and were leaving home around 5:30.  There is only 1 entrance / exit to our subdivision, and when we got to it, there were at least a half a dozen police cars parked with their lights on.  A police officer stopped us and said some guy had been in the neighborhood around 3:00 am knocking on random doors, and had we heard anything?  We told her that, no, we have 4 dogs, so if he had knocked on our door, we definitely would have noticed.  She let us go on our way then.

Turns out, the guy's wife had left him (he'd gotten in trouble for domestic violence before) and gone to her mother's house.  He didn't know exactly where the house was (I'm still not clear if this was even the correct neighborhood), so he was just pounding on random doors looking for his wife.  Oh, and he was on drugs while he was doing this.  We live in the back of the subdivision, so he didn't actually get to our street.  But we have friends living on the main street whose next door neighbor's door was pounded on.  The neighbors were smart and didn't open it. 

The police ended up using a Taser on him when they got there, and he died a half hour later at the hospital.  His mother sued the police and went on the news crying about what a good boy he was, and how he was afraid of the dark.  Good boys don't beat up their wives, do drugs, and terrorize people trying to sleep at 3 am.

Garden Goblin

Not at my house, but at my mother's boyfriend's house -

Two bears having a knockdown dragout fight.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Ooo! I'd forgotten about this thread! I may have to go back and re-read.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
I can't remember if I told the story of my face-to-face with the burglar on this thread.

I was going to catch up on some paperwork at the office on Sunday.

I get out of my car, and head for the door. As I do, someone comes out *through* the door (as in, through a hole in the glass of the door).

Me:  :8-o

Him:    :8-o

A few seconds pass.

Him (VERY enthusiastically): Hi! How are you today?

He then took off running, as I was still in the :8-o stage.

While he appeared harmless, the police showed me later the 3-foot iron bar with which he and his accomplice had battered in the door. I would not have liked to see it coming towards my head.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."