Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 85323 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
As an aside, my husband is a civilian employee of a law enforcement agency and he was required to report to his superiors that his wife had been consorting with serial killers.  ::)

I'm sorry.  I know that's awful... but I'm imagining the paperwork and it made me laugh.

(I'm a cop's wife, too.)

Actually, that part was pretty hilarious for everyone involved. Took me a while to live down my reputation at the Crime Lab.  ;D
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

DoubleTrouble

There used to be a drug house across the street from my parent's house. And down the street was a half-way house for recovering drug addicts :o But they couldn't have been too bad as I never noticed anything & really didn't know until my Mom told me years later.

I thought my current 'hood was bad but it's not as bad as some of these stories. The worst is my DH saw a kid getting jumped a few blocks down from us. He wasn't sure what was going on at first (wasn't a direct line of sight) but when the cops showed up, I had to tell him to go down there to talk to the cops & let them know what he saw. DH had to go to the station & look through some mug shot books.

We do hear gunshots at least every other week but I'm not sure where they're coming from as sound tends to reverberate around our house.

The woman living across the street from us gives me some amusement every few months when she kicks someone out of her house & comes out in the yard screaming like a banshee in her housecoat. Never can quite figure out what gets her all upset but that family is very loud in how they communicate ;D

On the cool but slightly scary side of things, I happened to run into a doe & fawn in the park near our house one morning when walking our dog. Pup was going nuts trying to get to the deer (he's all of 6 lbs) & I was a little worried he actually would break loose & go after them; that would have been bad as I swear the doe was giving us the stink eye & was ready to charge to protect the fawn.

HoneyBee42

After reading these stories, I am so grateful to live in a quiet neighborhood (knock on Formica).  The scariest thing that I have seen was last year's derecho.  Now, I'm one of those idiots whose reaction to a tornado warning is to run outside and look for it.  What made the derecho so scary was the silence.  The clouds were so full of lightning that it was like a million strobe lights going off, but there was no thunder.  It wasn't until I looked up and saw lightning overhead, that I realized that the storm was here.

A minute or two after I got my hindquarters safely inside, the 70 mph winds crashed through, bringing with them the bright red and blue flashes of dying transformers and power lines. 

That got my respect.

Derecho's are no joke. 2 years ago when a big one hit here, my mother's neighborhood looked like Godzilla and Mothra had been fighting over territory.  They were without power for almost a week...in July...in Central Maryland.

I'm still traumatized by the derecho otherwise known as the Labor Day Storm of '98.  National Guard in the streets, and it took 8 days for my neighborhood to get power.  Fortunately, I had friends and family who lived in areas that got power back sooner so I was able to haul laundry there, and I had this antique of a stove that was gas and required being manually lit (burners as well as oven) so I was able to cook.

picture gallery

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
After reading these stories, I am so grateful to live in a quiet neighborhood (knock on Formica).  The scariest thing that I have seen was last year's derecho.  Now, I'm one of those idiots whose reaction to a tornado warning is to run outside and look for it.  What made the derecho so scary was the silence.  The clouds were so full of lightning that it was like a million strobe lights going off, but there was no thunder.  It wasn't until I looked up and saw lightning overhead, that I realized that the storm was here.

A minute or two after I got my hindquarters safely inside, the 70 mph winds crashed through, bringing with them the bright red and blue flashes of dying transformers and power lines. 

That got my respect.

Derecho's are no joke. 2 years ago when a big one hit here, my mother's neighborhood looked like Godzilla and Mothra had been fighting over territory.  They were without power for almost a week...in July...in Central Maryland.

I'm still traumatized by the derecho otherwise known as the Labor Day Storm of '98.  National Guard in the streets, and it took 8 days for my neighborhood to get power.  Fortunately, I had friends and family who lived in areas that got power back sooner so I was able to haul laundry there, and I had this antique of a stove that was gas and required being manually lit (burners as well as oven) so I was able to cook.

picture gallery

Ohhhh I remember that storm because my grandfather and his wife had to come down to stay with us for a couple of weeks.
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

greencat

During the end of 2008 and early 2009, I was staying with some friends of mine while some work was being done on my home.  We saw helicopters circling overhead about a mile off - lots and lots of police and news helicopters.  It was pretty obvious something big was going down.

The news that day was all about the discover of poor little Caylee Anthony's body.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Not all that scary, and more annoying than anything, but earlier this summer, might have been early last month or so, there were some people who were fighting in the streets close to midnight.  Mostly it was two young adult women screaming at each other with their guys trailing after them to watch.  I couldn't understand what they were saying (didn't really want to, either) but I did see them almost get into a physical fight with the guys watching as though they were thinking "Oooh, girl fight!"  ::)

They went in, then came back out screaming again and just as I was thinking of calling the non-emergency line for the police, two cruisers came down the street so I guess either someone else called or they were in the area.  Either way it worked.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CrazyDaffodilLady

An infant was stolen from an apartment very close to the one in which I was living.  The mother was napping with the baby and her 2-year-old when a female intruder broke in, clobbered the mother on the head with a board, and left with the baby.

I was at work when this happened and heard about it on the radio on the way home.  Within minutes of my arrival home, the police were pounding on my door.  The scariest thing was that the description of the perpetrator sounded a lot like me.

If I recall correctly, the baby was recovered within 24 hours.  The kidnapper was a mentally unstable woman who had been telling people she was pregnant.  On that particular day, the woman told her husband she was off to the hospital to give birth, and she returned several hours later with a 2-month-old baby.  Husband called the police, as did the woman’s coworkers who knew the woman was unstable and had doubts about her being pregnant.

One thing that surprised me a little was that despite the woman’s obvious mental illness, the public had no sympathy whatsoever toward her.  People were so outraged that the police had to implement strong security measures to protect her. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
A couple of years ago, the councilor walked into my classroom with a toddler in her arms. She said - "I need everyone's attention -especially if you live in Apartment complex E or complex W. Do you know who this is? Is this anyone's little brother or sister? The Toddler had been found alone on our play ground. The child was clean, in good health - but without shoes and alone. Eventually someone recognized the child. Principal, Councilor, and the cops went over to the apartment. Found the mother had just woken up from a nap and found the door open and child gone.

The cops determined there was no neglect Mom had a bad cold, put the child down for her nap, and took a nap of her own. Kid must have woken up and decided to go play in the "park" (what they call the school playground). The cops did find that the lock on the door didn't work properly. The family was putting a chair under the door knob to "lock" the door. The cops had a little visit with the building manager and the lock was fixed before they left.

We have gone into full lock down 3 times
1. A man a few yards from my portable but other side of the fence was beating a woman.

2. A child was put on the bus to go home - when the parents had told her they would pick her up. The kid was a Kinder and never said anything - and we require a note or verbal instructions from an ADULT or the kids would all be going to the 4 winds instead of home. Parent attacked the teacher. We went into lock down. The then AP now principal hid in his office and did not help the teacher being attacked. He also got mad when she press criminal charges. They withdrew the child. Got kicked out of every private school that would accept them and are now back at our school.

3. Early before the kids came in. A bunch of us had come in the back way and didn't go by the front office. When that staff came in and turned on the lights they found the office in shambles and the safe pulled out of the wall.

4. Man robbed the stop and go to the E of us. He was chased by the cops through our playground during 3rd grade recess. They lost him by the gym doors. So we were in lock down till they searched the school. (The Middle school cati corner to us was also locked down.) After that cops were in the halls, till they caught the guy. This was due to the open nature of our 1967 school making it difficult to completely lock up the school (basically you can climb over the roof and drop into a garden in the center of the school)

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
A couple of years ago, the councilor walked into my classroom with a toddler in her arms. She said - "I need everyone's attention -especially if you live in Apartment complex E or complex W. Do you know who this is? Is this anyone's little brother or sister? The Toddler had been found alone on our play ground. The child was clean, in good health - but without shoes and alone. Eventually someone recognized the child. Principal, Councilor, and the cops went over to the apartment. Found the mother had just woken up from a nap and found the door open and child gone.
Grandson #1 did that when he was about 2 or maybe a little younger. It was very early one morning, and his parents hadn't even woken up yet. The person who found him fortunately knew where he belonged and brought him home. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

Kariachi

Grandson #1 did that when he was about 2 or maybe a little younger. It was very early one morning, and his parents hadn't even woken up yet. The person who found him fortunately knew where he belonged and brought him home.

*slowly raises hand* Me at 8. Had missed my bus, thought it would be rude to wake the sitter, so I just left and crossed a 4-lane highway and walked several miles into school. My mother nearly died. Then she nearly killed me. Then she nearly killed my babysitter and made sure no one ever left their kids with her again.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

DollyPond

Not me but my mother back in the 1930's....

Mom came home from school one day to find a group of strange men with "Tommy" guns holding the family hostage in the living room.

It turns out that a group of gangsters were robbing my 2 great uncles' stash of bootleg beer that they had made in the basement.  After the robbery was finished the gangsters left and no one was hurt...and no one reported the incident to the police either.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
Not me but my mother back in the 1930's....

Mom came home from school one day to find a group of strange men with "Tommy" guns holding the family hostage in the living room.

It turns out that a group of gangsters were robbing my 2 great uncles' stash of bootleg beer that they had made in the basement.  After the robbery was finished the gangsters left and no one was hurt...and no one reported the incident to the police either.
Then they're smarter than some people are now.  ;D The Police Dispatcher in the family says that it's not uncommon for people to call 911 and report that the drug dealer sold them fake pot, or that the hooker stole their wallet. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up

There was discussion with staff (in part due to different versions of the story, before the Principal told us the whole story in a staff meeting) some of the staff could not understand how the Mom couldn't have heard the child. I volunteered that my family has multiple stories of kids doing this - sometimes awake, sometimes sleep walking. Most households in my Paternal side of the family have house alarms to keep sleepwalkers in more than to keep bad guys out. I woke up outside a couple times as a kid.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?

There was discussion with staff (in part due to different versions of the story, before the Principal told us the whole story in a staff meeting) some of the staff could not understand how the Mom couldn't have heard the child. I volunteered that my family has multiple stories of kids doing this - sometimes awake, sometimes sleep walking. Most households in my Paternal side of the family have house alarms to keep sleepwalkers in more than to keep bad guys out. I woke up outside a couple times as a kid.
Toddlers can be sneaky.  And quiet.  If you're in deep sleep, only a loud, unexpected noise will wake you.  An ordinary  noise that is as quiet as the door opening is heard by the brain, but dismissed as not important.

Psychopoesie

Not so much strange - bushfires are a common summer event in Australia. Definitely scary and dramatic.

Ten years ago, there was a huge fire on the borders of my city's territory (i live in Canberra, the capital city of Australia). We'd had smoke haze hovering of the city for several days. However, Authorities assured us the fire was within containment lines. We live in the suburbs, not out in the country and have good firefighting resources so I wasn't too worried.

My mother phoned on Saturday to say she was worried about the fire. I checked the radio and tv for any news - nothing. Looked outside - still hazy but no different. Mum's an anxious sort of person so I figured she might be overreacting. Went over to her place anyway (she only lived 5 minutes away).

By the time I got there, the smoke seemed much thicker and the sky darker. And it was scorchingly hot.

It quickly became clear that homes in her suburb were under threat. Mum is elderly and asthmatic so staying home to fight the fire wasn't an option.

Packed up photo albums, clothes and a few other essentials in her car. Crated up the cat and put her in my car (which had air conditioning).

As we go to leave, mum became so panicked, she said she can't drive the car. However, she won't leave her car behind, even if I repack the stuff in my car. Fortunately a really kind neighbour offers to drive behind us in mum's car (Hugely kind - she was leaving a 17yo nephew in charge of hosing down her place and making preparations).

By this time embers and smouldering branches were dropping down around us. The sky was storm dark and the light was an eerie red colour. Each breath of air was dry, hot and smoky.

We got to my place ok and settled mum inside. When I drove the neighbour back, I could see houses on the hill above my mum's place burning. A steady stream of traffic was coming from the opposite direction, as people evacuated.

My mum and I were really lucky (as was the kind neighbour): our homes were ok, although it was several hours before we knew. The worst we had to deal with was the power being off for several days and some clean up.

Others weren't so fortunate: several lives were lost, hundreds injured and around 500 homes destroyed. I am so grateful to all the emergency service personnel and volunteers who stopped it from being even worse.

Here is some video taken by a reporter on the day.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpOXH0ADSg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqPpOXH0ADSg

ETA. Warning some bad language in the video (when the firefighters get rescued).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:17:36 AM by Psychopoesie »