Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 85242 times)

Iris

^Bushfires may be a common occurrence, but the Canberra fires were particularly bad. Definitely scary!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

dawnfire

^Bushfires may be a common occurrence, but the Canberra fires were particularly bad. Definitely scary!

bushfires take on a surreal quality. I lost my home to the black Saturday fires. I myself never saw the fire as I left for work at the local Safeway at 9am and by the time my shift ended at 6pm, my family had evacuated (with the fire on their tail )and were with me. Where I live now (in Whittlesea) is around the corner from where all the relief efforts were centered in the days after.

In the more recent years due to a few savvy locals, we managed to help catch a fugitive who had been on the run for a few days. He'd stopped at a local cafe to ask if he could use their toilet, they refused and pointed him to nearest public toilet a hundred yards away. They contacted the police and schools (2 primary and 1 secondary), childcare (2) centers and nursing homes (2) were put on lock down.  It only took about 3 hours from first sighting to apprehension and most people were completely unaware what was happening.

Psychopoesie

bushfires take on a surreal quality. I lost my home to the black Saturday fires. I myself never saw the fire as I left for work at the local Safeway at 9am and by the time my shift ended at 6pm, my family had evacuated (with the fire on their tail )and were with me. Where I live now (in Whittlesea) is around the corner from where all the relief efforts were centered in the days after.

Sorry to hear you lost your home, dawnfire. Glad you and your family made it through safely. Only saw it on the news but the Black Saturday fires were devastating - my heart went out to everyone who was caught up in them. Terrifying. So much loss.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
A couple of years ago, the councilor walked into my classroom with a toddler in her arms. She said - "I need everyone's attention -especially if you live in Apartment complex E or complex W. Do you know who this is? Is this anyone's little brother or sister? The Toddler had been found alone on our play ground. The child was clean, in good health - but without shoes and alone. Eventually someone recognized the child. Principal, Councilor, and the cops went over to the apartment. Found the mother had just woken up from a nap and found the door open and child gone.
Grandson #1 did that when he was about 2 or maybe a little younger. It was very early one morning, and his parents hadn't even woken up yet. The person who found him fortunately knew where he belonged and brought him home.

There was discussion with staff (in part due to different versions of the story, before the Principal told us the whole story in a staff meeting) some of the staff could not understand how the Mom couldn't have heard the child. I volunteered that my family has multiple stories of kids doing this - sometimes awake, sometimes sleep walking. Most households in my Paternal side of the family have house alarms to keep sleepwalkers in more than to keep bad guys out. I woke up outside a couple times as a kid.
Toddlers can be sneaky.  And quiet.  If you're in deep sleep, only a loud, unexpected noise will wake you.  An ordinary  noise that is as quiet as the door opening is heard by the brain, but dismissed as not important.

Years ago, when my oldest was 5 and youngest 3, we had left them with my parents while DH and I went white water rafting with a friend.  We got back late and so just took our sleeping children into the car to drive them home.

The next morning we're woken to someone knocking on the door.  It was a cop with our two boys. They'd snuck out of the house because they believed they left their shoes at their grandparents house.   

When they could have woken us up and found that their shoes were brought home with them. Thankfully they didn't cross any streets, but geez...
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
A friend of mine has a nephew who was discovered at age two or three to know how to unlock the front door and go wandering. Apparently they had to redo the front door lock and put in a bolt above where he could reach even with the stool he used to climb up with . (Normally he sat on it when shoes were going on or off.)

Apparently the first time they found the door open their first reaction was "ghosts?"

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
We had a bomb in the barracks once.

A soldier came to me saying he'd found something in the tank of a toilet. It hadn't  flushed properly so he opened it up to see what was going on.
When he saw what was in there, he tracked me down because I was on the roster as Duty Officer.

So I took a look. A container of an unfamiliar liquid. Wires. Batteries.
Uh-oh.

I found my roomie who I had swapped Duty Officer shifts with and told her she had A Problem - there was a bomb in the toilet.
Ha-ha, very funny. Pull the other leg.

We eventually convinced her we were Not Joking and she checked it out.
Oh Carp. (At that point, she regretted agreeing to swap shifts. :P)

We evacuated the building - which was interesting, since we had to explain repeatedly that no, this was not a joke or a drill, there really was a bomb threat. (Saturday night in an army barracks during summer training, fun!)

Called the police. Who called the fire department.
They called the Base Commander. And the bomb squad.

No-one could identify the device and it  couldn't be moved. Procedure was to blow it in place.
So, they put shields up around the stall and blew up the toilet. :P

We all had to spend the night in the cold-war-era nuclear fallout shelter while they swept the buildings for more devices. Very surreal!

And in case you are wondering why anyone would plant a bomb in the men's room of a small Canadian army reserve training camp in the 1980s....the answer is no one.

Turned out the "bomb" was a fake that had been used in training. A leadership course had been practicing commanding small groups in various tasks. One of the scenarios was to organize a search.
Somehow, the prop hadn't been found and someone didn't return it to stores after the exercise. ::)

But the debris from the blown up toilet was rather impressive. ;D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!

...   Turned out the "bomb" was a fake that had been used in training.   ...

...   But the debris from the blown up toilet was rather impressive. ;D

If it was a 'fake', why did it blow up (when prompted)? 

snowfire

Probably because the bomb squad used a small explosive charge themselves to detonate the supposed "bomb".  As far as I know, that's how they do that sort of thing.

wonderfullyanonymous

I have a couple...

Down the street from the house I once lived in was a house a drug dealer lived in. The house, for some reason had a drive way on either side of it, although, one was dirt covered, and was never used until said drug dealer moved in. However, this drug dealer was the best neighbor that one could ask for. While it wa a revolving door during the day, in one driveway, and out the other, by 10 pm, his lights were off, and traffic was no longer and issue. There were never any fights and the kids that lived there were really well behaved.

The house across the street from us, a few years later lived a lady and her boyfriend, who would smack her around. We called the cops on that couple planty of times. One day, lady of the house comes over, with a baggie and says she found what she thinks is crack in a couch she got from her BF's sister. Unsure of what to do, we call the police nonemergency number. They said they would send and officer out to collect the drugs. The cop that showed up was the "biggest male appendage" he could have been. He cops this stupid attitude with a bunch of giggling women over this baggie of crack, none of wanted around, because we all had kids. He said something along the lines of this being a serious matter, and my BFF says to him, why do you think we called you guys. We don't use it and we don't want it around our kids. You could tell not a one of us used the stuff either.  He finally took the stuff and left.

Same street, many years later. Ex Hubby and I had bought the house across the street, but next to the one in the above story. I wake up one night, and my bedroom looks like a disco. I look out the window, and there are so many flashing vehicles, I thought the old house we lived in was on fire. I went downstairs and asked my daughter if she knew what was going on. She hadn't even heard the firetrucks. After a little bit the firetrucks left, but all the police cars and the rescue squad were still there. That all happened around midnight. Around 1 am there is a knock on the door. We find out the lady across the street was murdered. This actually was not a huge surprise. The detective was asking if we had seen any strange vehicles in the neighborhood. We told him that we figured she was dealing something, and there were always strange vehicles in the neighborhood.

THe next morning, another detective knocks on the door, asking the same question. We talked to him a little more in depth. We told him we knew she was dealing because of the come and go traffic, people running into her house many times a day, staying for just a minute or 2. He asked why we hadn't called a complaint. I told all the neighbors have, but we were all told the same thing, unless we catch them, there is nothing we can do. We told the detective that we thought she was dealing crack, just by the looks of some of her customers.  Found out we were right. I told him, as for strange vehicles, as much traffic as she had, it would have to have been a helicopter landing in the middle of the road.

MissRose

Not in my neighborhood but my now late grandmother's:

Apparently a few convicts got loose in her area many years ago.  The incident makes the news and people are asked to stay inside by police.  My dad calls up the local police by my widowed grandmother's place as she is one of these types if someone who looks nice says I need a bite to eat, she would give without question.  Also, she is a fairly good shot having gotten deer during hunting season and grew up hunting with family to put food on the table, and if those convicts tried anything, they would not be alive to say anything.  It took a few hours but the convicts were found and returned back to prison where they belonged.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
We had probable drug dealers next door, too, a few years ago.  (Same people as the neighborhood mooches and owners of some really nasty pit bulls.)  After about 10pm, they got a dozen or more cars a night, where someone would pull into the drive, and a few minutes later a car would leave.  Semi-circular gravel drive, like wonderfullyanonymous's neighbor, with one terminus being about 50 feet from my bedroom window, so in the summer I could hear it quite well.  Friends agreed that such activity was probably dealing; that,  or the Fastest Hooker in the State.  I finally called the police non-emergency number and reported it. 

There was never any response from the police that I could see, but a few weeks after I started calling 911 and reporting incursions of the pit bulls into my yard, causing cops to show up at their door on a regular basis, they moved out in a hurry.

Evidence exists that they were probably not only dealing, but cooking meth as well: after they left, a full crew was there in hazmat suits, working for several weeks.  They hauled away 4 huge dumpster loads of debris.  And gutting the place down to the bare studding is not a usual prelude to reletting a suburban house.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:03:31 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
Back when Ambrosia Hino was about two years old, we had a family move out (duplex that mirror imaged our own in a rental area) and some "college boys" moved in.

Who entertained a lot with LOUD music.  If I went over to tell them that they woke the baby up AGAIN, the noise did not go down....so about five minutes after the "quiet time" in town began, I started calling the cops.  The cops knocked on the door and the toilets (two bathrooms) would flush before the knocking would stop (I suppose the cops quit knocking when someone came to the door to let them in). 

After about six calls to the cops, they snuck out in the middle of the night with all their remaining "stuff" (we didn't miss their stereo - it seemed to be stuck on "11" even if the volume knob only went up to "10").  They also banged all cabinets, drawers, and room doors open & shut - noisiest people I'd ever lived next to...

I found out later that they moved out because they sold drugs and had parties to raise the money for their rent.  Having the cops show up all the time....meant that they couldn't pull together that month's rent and just quietly left instead....

Seems another resident got invited to a party and didn't want to be doing drugs in college...but didn't quite feel right in "ratting them out" either.  I wasn't ratting them out - I was calling in quite legitimate noise complaints...drunken (high?) hollering and really, really loud music weren't helping anyone on our side of the duplex get any sleep for work the next day and a toddler that can't sleep is a really cranky kid to live with....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica

...   Turned out the "bomb" was a fake that had been used in training.   ...

...   But the debris from the blown up toilet was rather impressive. ;D

If it was a 'fake', why did it blow up (when prompted)?

The device couldn't be identified so there was no way to safely move it.
Protocol in these situations is that they use a small charge to blow up the device in a controlled  fashion.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
We had probable drug dealers next door, too, a few years ago.  (Same people as the neighborhood mooches and owners of some really nasty pit bulls.)  After about 10pm, they got a dozen or more cars a night, where someone would pull into the drive, and a few minutes later a car would leave.  Semi-circular gravel drive, like wonderfullyanonymous's neighbor, with one terminus being about 50 feet from my bedroom window, so in the summer I could hear it quite well.  Friends agreed that such activity was probably dealing; that,  or the Fastest Hooker in the State.  I finally called the police non-emergency number and reported it. 

There was never any response from the police that I could see, but a few weeks after I started calling 911 and reporting incursions of the pit bulls into my yard, causing cops to show up at their door on a regular basis, they moved out in a hurry.

Evidence exists that they were probably not only dealing, but cooking meth as well: after they left, a full crew was there in hazmat suits, working for several weeks.  They hauled away 4 huge dumpster loads of debris.  And gutting the place down to the bare studding is not a usual prelude to reletting a suburban house.

It could have also been a marijuana grow-op.  Apparently because of all the water the plants needs and put out into the air, it causes black mold to grow pretty much everywhere in the house.  There is also usually some janky electric wiring going on as well
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
Oh - more recently - house catty corner across the street had a drug raid (grow house) - but we didn't SEE anything as we weren't at home at the time of the drug raid.  It got gutted & remodeled before being rented out...

To people who ended up being evicted by the sheriff two years ago and their stuff piled in the front yard for two weeks, until some of the homeowners' association members started picking it up and trashing it (rain is not good for clothing, a tv, or wood furniture - especially when it is plywood and particleboard with very little "wood" content).  I was one of the board members...

The new owner lives in it and apparently has a large family, as there are several cars parked around the house most of the time - the street is technically wide enough for three vehicles - but when there are cars parked on both sides of the road (college student living at home who parks in the street so his parents can get to work next door to us) and two vehicles from the drama house, with three more in the driveway....it sometimes gets tight getting in and out of the driveway or pulling down the street in that direction.....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:39:43 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?