Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 85303 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
We had a hot air balloon land at the end of our dead end street, too. To bad it was a weekday - or Dad would have been out there with his 35mm camera. The balloonists were cool. They let us kids help them pack up the balloon. Our Moms came out made sure we weren't annoying the balloonists and that the lady that owned that land was ok with us being on her property (nice lady but kids made her nervous). Then they went back home and left us to it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Gyburc

Was the woman properly reburied?

Depends if being "bagged up" is one's opinion of proper....

It's surprising that pre-Christian bones would be in such good condition. At the cemetery near Sutton Hoo, the bodies had become mere carbon imprints on the soil. The ground must be much less acidic near Gyburc's home.

Re. reburial - it was more a case of returning as many fragments to the original burial site as possible. The bag was to make sure they didn't get scattered or come into contact with the concrete that was about to be poured in. DH and I made a really thorough search of the spoil-heap to make sure that we found as many of the remains as we could, so that we could replace them with the rest of her, and I said some words over her in private. But really, given that my belief system is probably light years away from what hers would have been, it was hard to know what else to do. We treated her with respect, at least.

Twik, we're on gravel where I live, so there's pretty good drainage, but I have no real idea about the acidity. As you say, though, it can't be too strongly acid.
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
I think you did the best in the situation.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Kaymyth

Last year, one morning a rumbling noise woke me briefly before I drowsed back off again.

After we both were up properly, I asked my DH if we'd had a thunderstorm this morning.  He said no, and was obviously trying not to look at me like I was nuts.

Driving to work, I found I had to go the long way out of the street because there were police and fire trucks on the corner of Our Street and Big Street.  I learned the rest of the story as the day went on.

That morning, someone driving way too fast for the road lost control of their van, careened across the oncoming lanes of traffic and slammed into a corner house's garage.  It was an impressive feat, as they managed to hit just the right angle to slide in between the tree and fence.  The house caught on fire.  One of the occupants was elderly, and had a stash of oxygen tanks beside the garage.

The booming noise that had woken me that morning was those oxygen tanks exploding.

Amazing, nobody was killed, and the residents were renters, so their losses weren't as great as they could have been.  The house was gutted and had to be completely rebuilt.  It's now for sale way overpriced for the tiny little thing that it is, and we don't expect that they're going to actually sell it anytime soon.

Baby Snakes

Apparrently our old neighborhood was where all the criminals liked to hide out.  It was a townhouse community and the back yards were very dark.  At least once or twice a month there would be a police helicopter hovering with a searchlight.

I was so glad when we moved out of there.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
We had a home invasion in my old neighborhood. In our house. Where my kid still lives. Yikes!

Before that, the most dramatic thing that happened was a gang showdown (complete with random shooting) that took place between neighbors at the back of our neighborhood - new neighbors moved into a house and it was discovered that the people already living next door were from a rival street gang. Thankfully, that was the only time anything like that had happened, and the neighborhood has been on the upswing until last night's incident.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
I don't know if this counts, but the coal seam between us and the next village is burning again- closer to the road this time!
NE England

rain

I'm not sure if this counts

One night a few years back, while everyone was sleeping, we were hit by an earthquake - the whole house was shaking.  The kids ran into my room panicked, wondering what was happening - I groggily said its just an earthquake, go back to bed.  (can you tell I grew up in an are that had several minor "quakes")
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
Does anyone remember the crash of Swissair flight 111 in 1998?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair_Flight_111

Right before it crashed, that plane flew over our neighborhood a couple of times- I think it was circling around, looking for a place to dump fuel, trying to make Halifax international airport. Unfortunately it never made it, crashing into St Margaret`s bay. Given how fast planes tend to move, that means a span of time of probably seconds making the difference between that plane going down into water or into a populated area. (We are not too far away from where it went down)

pwv

My backyard is on a hill overlooking a 4-lane highway.  There is a row of trees that generally blocks my view of the road and somewhat muffles the traffic sounds.  One winter day I heard the *THUD*SMASH* of an accident, but couldn't see anything.  About 15 minutes later the med-evac helicopter arrived and landed in the road directly behind my house.  Because the trees didn't have any leaves, I had a clear view of the copter.   The accident itself was blocked from my view by the hill and the way the road curves at that point.  The next day I learned a northbound car had crossed the median and had a head-on collision with a southbound car.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
A few years ago I was on my way to work and the street I usually take was blocked by a number of police vehicles. 

It seems that an armed man was holding a family hostage in their apartment.

The scariest part was that the building was directly across a narrow street from a school.     

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
When my husband was a boy, my IL's lived next to a gas station along rt 1 in Laurel, MD (they've moved since).  There was a fence between the gas station's property and that of my IL's, but one night a guy who was probably drunk or something, rammed through the fence and ran right into the IL's house, striking it right under DH's room. 

From what I recall of the story, the house was okay for the most part, no one was hurt and in fact DH was such a sound sleeper that he slept through the whole thing and had to be told what happened the next day. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums

Right before it crashed, that plane flew over our neighborhood a couple of times- I think it was circling around, looking for a place to dump fuel, trying to make Halifax international airport. Unfortunately it never made it, crashing into St Margaret`s bay. Given how fast planes tend to move, that means a span of time of probably seconds making the difference between that plane going down into water or into a populated area. (We are not too far away from where it went down)

Hi neighbour,

I remember it well.  And you're correct. The flight turned to make an emergency landing at YHZ but were told to dump the extra fuel before making the attempt.

For me personally, watching a Sea King fly over the harbour (19th floor) and seeing a part drop off. :o
The days are long but the years are short.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store

Hi neighbour,

I remember it well.  And you're correct. The flight turned to make an emergency landing at YHZ but were told to dump the extra fuel before making the attempt.

For me personally, watching a Sea King fly over the harbour (19th floor) and seeing a part drop off. :o

Somehow oops doesn't quite work in that situation
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
I remember being in a rural hotel in Louisiana, when I heard a noise coming from the ceiling. I was terrified it might be a rat or something.

Instead, it was geckos. Love the little critters, so that was not scary or dramatic, but charming.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."