Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 100996 times)

dawnfire

it sounds like something out of a bad comedy   ;D

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
last night 2 blocks from my house there were a ton of emergency vehicles on the main street.  Apparently there was an explosion in someones basement and gasoline got into the sewer.

They evacuated everyone from the area.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
The bedroom window flew open and the screen was shoved out, followed by the guy she was having the affair with.  He was naked and trying desperately to put on a pair of underwear, but could only get one leg through the opening.  This was because the angry husband followed him out through the window and was beating at him with either a tennis or badminton racquet. 

So the guy with the underwear over one leg was trying to run while holding up the underwear and he was screaming like a little girl while kind of hop running.  This all happened so fast that my spouse and I stood there stunned as the husband and underwear guy moved along from between the houses and out onto the front sidewalk.

If I were a better person, I wouldn't have moved to the living room to see what was happening.  :)  But we both did and watched as the hopping, one leg through his underwear guy continued to try and get away from the guy with the racket who was taking swats at him.

If the frame and shaft of the racket was quite thin, it was a badminton racquet.  If it was thicker, it was a tennis racquet.   :D

And I do have to say that I don't think I'd have been the better person, either.  In fact, I think I'd have been laughing like a loon.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
I don't think it was a matter of not being a "better person".  Of course you had to watch the entire scenario play itself out.  It was your civic duty!  Just in case the injuries had been a little more severe, you would have been great witnesses.  If you hadn't seen it all, then you'd have had little to report.  Right?  Remember.  It was your responsibility as a good neighbor to observe what's going on in your neighborhood.   ;D

Figgie

It definitely was the most bizarre thing that has ever happened in our neighborhood!  We didn't laugh while it was happening, mostly because we were stunned into silence.  :)  We did laugh quite a bit about it after.

As far as the type of racquet, we really didn't look that closely at it...mostly because it was difficult to take our eyes off of the guy with one leg through his underwear.  It's the kind of thing you read about.  "Husband walks in on wife and her lover" but not the sort of thing you actually expect to see play out in public.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Be glad it was a racquet not a shotgun.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Be glad it was a racquet not a shotgun.

No kidding!  Those have barrels made of metal, and they hurt to get smacked with.

...what?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
My boss once told me that she'd had a car land in her yard and take out a tree the night before.  Second car that had hit that poor tree.  Apparently something about the road design meant that she and her neighbors were often privy to car wrecks that ended up in their front yards.  I assume all the kids stayed in the back yard to play.  What I found amusing about all this was the name of the road: "Good Luck Road."  I guess the road was wishing the drivers good luck, because they'd need it!

Dazi

• like the flower
My boss once told me that she'd had a car land in her yard and take out a tree the night before.  Second car that had hit that poor tree.  Apparently something about the road design meant that she and her neighbors were often privy to car wrecks that ended up in their front yards.  I assume all the kids stayed in the back yard to play.  What I found amusing about all this was the name of the road: "Good Luck Road."  I guess the road was wishing the drivers good luck, because they'd need it!

My back yard has a similar problem, though no car that I know of in recent history has made it into my *actual* yard.  The DOT put up some really heavy duty baricade rails along that section of road some years ago and the previous owner put up quite a fence, made entirely of cinder blocks.  I'm kind of waiting for a motorcyclist to hit it and fly into my or one of my neighbors' yards.

I've seen some pretty horrific crashes.  The last one was the worst and was very nearly a death.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Years ago, I lived in an apartment complex that was set out as a large circle.  The outer apartments faced out to the large circular driveway.  Well, anyway, one night the police chased someone into our complex.  The first I know was hearing my next door neighbors yelling and laughing, "Here they come again!"  I looked out to see a car being chased by 2 police cars.  My neighbors told me that this was the 3rd time around.  Then someone yelled, "One more time!" And here they came again, only now there were 3 police cars.

I saw them pass by a total of 5 times, and accumulate a total of 4 police cars before one of the police units realized that they would do better to get out of the parade and block the driveway which was little more than a driveway.  Barney Fife lives.

Reading my way through the old posts and had to comment on this one - I started humming the Benny Hill theme as I read it! ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

magicdomino

I don't think it was a matter of not being a "better person".  Of course you had to watch the entire scenario play itself out.  It was your civic duty!  Just in case the injuries had been a little more severe, you would have been great witnesses.  If you hadn't seen it all, then you'd have had little to report.  Right?  Remember.  It was your responsibility as a good neighbor to observe what's going on in your neighborhood.   ;D

A really good neighbor would have videotaped it.   8)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!

A really good neighbor would have videotaped it.   8)

and set it to Benny Hill music. and then posted it for all of us to see.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Not my neighborhood anymore, but the street my father lives on (where I lived age 7 to 17) is very steep and the curve above his next door neighbor is very sharp and sloped wrong.  When the first rain of the season hits, it is very slippery.  At least once a year the neighbors have a car in their front yard.  Occasionally a car makes it to the neighbor's driveway and once a car made it to my father's driveway.  I wonder how fast they were going when they hit that curve.

The stories of birds causing electrical outages reminded me of an incident which wasn't in my neighborhood, but it was my job to investigate the resulting sewer spill (over a million gallons and neighborhoods flooded with raw sewage).  It was a cold, rainy night in Honolulu.  A stray cat was looking for somewhere warm and dry to spend the night.  It squeezed into a sewage pump station which was being rehabilitated, so not locked up tight.  The cat squeezed into the motor control center - the brains of the pump station - where its wet body shorted out the MCC.

The emergency generator kicked in when the power went out.  That's what started the fire.  By the time I got there, the fire was out and the cat was fried and burned.  I had to take pictures for the report.  I don't know what color that cat was originally, but it was black when I saw it.  I had 2 black cats at the time, so it was difficult for me.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

cwm

I was going out to visit a friend about half an hour's drive away. I really wanted a soda on the way, so this was a few years ago. I found out from the drive through fast food place up the street that the entire county was on a boil notice.

A squirrel or raccoon, I can't remember which, got into a pump station and fried itself. I really wonder if it was worth being crispified for whatever it was after. Because really, the entire county was put out by it. It wasn't fun.

Actually, I remember several boil notices that summer. Working in the grooming salon, we had to keep fresh water for the dogs. Water from the wall was okay to wash them with, but we had to keep sending managers to WalMart to buy more gallons of water for them to drink. I think we ended up with about thirty gallons extra, but they decided to keep it around in case we ever needed it again.

singingserpent

• I like pie.
My grandmother lives 2 miles down a country road from a parachuting club airstrip. She's had a number of times where parachutists come up to her porch dragging their chute asking to use her phone to call the airstrip to get a ride back. I don't know much about parachuting, but 2 miles seems like a big miss to me!