Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 99856 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
My grandmother lives 2 miles down a country road from a parachuting club airstrip. She's had a number of times where parachutists come up to her porch dragging their chute asking to use her phone to call the airstrip to get a ride back. I don't know much about parachuting, but 2 miles seems like a big miss to me!
Our horse is in a pasture adjacent to the parachuting club airstrip.  People frequently miss by that much, landing in the pasture.  The horses are used to it, but they gallop around the pasture excitedly because, well, their lives are rather boring and a human falling from the sky with a huge flapping sheet is a good excuse to gallop around excitedly.  Before my husband's horse died, we had both horses in the tacking up area, but they weren't tied to the hitching rail.  They were just grazin' in the grass with their lead ropes dangling.  A sky diver landed about 50 feet away in the front field.  The sound of the chute flapping startled me, but the horses looked up, saw the chute, and went back to eating.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

The Wild One, Forever

Back in the early eighties, (1981?), I was home at my parents house for Spring break.  It was March, and still windy and chilly for that time of year.  Their home sat across a road from a large-ish lake, which was famous in the area for its fishing.  On one particular day, two men went out fishing on the lake in a little boat.  It was super windy that day, and the water was choppy.  The boat capsized, and they both drowned.  One body was found pretty much right away, but the other went missing.  It took a couple days for the police to locate the body, and when they did, news crews appeared in front of the house.  From an upstairs window, I could see them loading the body, (in a body bag), onto a gurney and into the back of an ambulance.  I didn't know the guys or their family, but I cried all day.

Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

andi

My first apartment was a ground floor of a fourplex in a large complex built around a green area. One night I hear arguing from the building across from mine - 2 guys are standing on a balcony arguing with a group of girls on the lawn. I ignore and go back to bed.  A few minutes later I hear screaming and a "thunk" and shattering glass. Guy on balcony shoots a filed tip arrow from a compound bow and it hits my sliding glass patio door in my living room and shatters it.  Management was not happy at having to replace my door at 2 am and the cops were not amused at the guys across the lawn. (the girls had taken off)

I'm now married to a bow hunter and knowing the damage I could have suffered puts things in a whole new perspective.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
My grandmother lives 2 miles down a country road from a parachuting club airstrip. She's had a number of times where parachutists come up to her porch dragging their chute asking to use her phone to call the airstrip to get a ride back. I don't know much about parachuting, but 2 miles seems like a big miss to me!
Our horse is in a pasture adjacent to the parachuting club airstrip.  People frequently miss by that much, landing in the pasture.  The horses are used to it, but they gallop around the pasture excitedly because, well, their lives are rather boring and a human falling from the sky with a huge flapping sheet is a good excuse to gallop around excitedly.  Before my husband's horse died, we had both horses in the tacking up area, but they weren't tied to the hitching rail.  They were just grazin' in the grass with their lead ropes dangling.  A sky diver landed about 50 feet away in the front field.  The sound of the chute flapping startled me, but the horses looked up, saw the chute, and went back to eating.
I wonder how many of the parachuters who miss and land in the paddock hit a "surprise" when they land. :o
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
2am, the second night after the Good Ethnic Boy and I moved into this house (a little over three years ago), some bright spark joy-riding in a stolen car came screeching down the road, missed the curve, and ran into a smallish tree in our front yard. The tree was uprooted and snapped in half, and we later found twigs up against our front wall. They left several sections of the car underbody scattered across our yard, narrowly missed our next-door-neighbours' new (!) car, and left deep tyre ruts and a trail of various automotive fluids over the yard across the street as they took a U-turn and screeched off again.

Our neighbours were worried we'd get a terrible impression of the street. We were mostly laughing because the tree had been dead, and we had been anticipating paying a landscaper to replace it. As it was, the joy-riding twerp saved us from having to dig it out, and we just paid for a LARGE attractive boulder to be put in its place. It's now used as a landmark by pretty well everyone on the street ("yeah, we're two houses past the big white rock, you can't miss it") and any future joy-riding twerps who miss the curve will come to an abrupt halt instead of possibly ending up in our lounge room. >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
We just paid for a LARGE attractive boulder to be put in its place. It's now used as a landmark by pretty well everyone on the street ("yeah, we're two houses past the big white rock, you can't miss it") and any future joy-riding twerps who miss the curve will come to an abrupt halt instead of possibly ending up in our lounge room. >:D

My mom has a huge multi-level brick planter in front of her corner house. She calls it the Tank Trap.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
We just paid for a LARGE attractive boulder to be put in its place. It's now used as a landmark by pretty well everyone on the street ("yeah, we're two houses past the big white rock, you can't miss it") and any future joy-riding twerps who miss the curve will come to an abrupt halt instead of possibly ending up in our lounge room. >:D

My mom has a huge multi-level brick planter in front of her corner house. She calls it the Tank Trap.

The people on a nearby corner recently put in three huge concrete planter boxes, probably for the same reason - I've often thought that they were in a prime spot to 'collect' stray speeding cars! I'd like the planters better if they'd actually watered the poor shrubs that are now definitely dead, though...
"Set aphasia to stun!"

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
My parents live in an area with those next-to-the-street rural style mailboxes. Many people in that area have their mailboxes encased in concrete or brick. Not because of people jumping the curb, but because every time "Stand By Me" airs on TV, there's a rash of idiots driving around playing Mailbox Baseball.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
My parents live in an area with those next-to-the-street rural style mailboxes. Many people in that area have their mailboxes encased in concrete or brick. Not because of people jumping the curb, but because every time "Stand By Me" airs on TV, there's a rash of idiots driving around playing Mailbox Baseball.

When I was a kid, one of my dad's co-workers had issues with his mailbox getting smashed. So he mounted it on a steel post that he painted to look like wood, and buried about 3' of the post underground in concrete. He kept finding broken baseball bats in his yard after that.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
When I was a kid, one of my dad's co-workers had issues with his mailbox getting smashed. So he mounted it on a steel post that he painted to look like wood, and buried about 3' of the post underground in concrete. He kept finding broken baseball bats in his yard after that.

My brother had a rash of kids smashing and driving over his mailbox so he did something similar only he filled the metal post with concrete and got 2 mailboxes, 1 smaller than the other. He put the small one inside the big one and filled the gap with concrete. He has been threatened a couple of times with lawsuits for car damage from hitting it and one for a dislocated shoulder from trying to hit it with a bat. Good Luck no lawyer in town is going to touch those lawsuits. 

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...

My brother had a rash of kids smashing and driving over his mailbox so he did something similar only he filled the metal post with concrete and got 2 mailboxes, 1 smaller than the other. He put the small one inside the big one and filled the gap with concrete. He has been threatened a couple of times with lawsuits for car damage from hitting it and one for a dislocated shoulder from trying to hit it with a bat. Good Luck no lawyer in town is going to touch those lawsuits.

That depends where you live. DH knows someone who made a "dummy" mailbox filled with concrete and
 placed it next to his real mailbox. Some teen broke his arm trying to smash the dummy, and successfully sued.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

HockeyNut

1) About a year after we moved into our house a man two streets over was killed by his pet python. 
2) I walk my dogs every morning before work (about 4:30AM) so of course it's always dark.  We're strolling along one morning when I see four men with big guns coming down the middle of the street.  The dogs start barking, I stop,  unsure if I should run like heck or start screaming.  In the time it takes me to decide RUN!! the men get close enough for me to see "SWAT" on the front of their kevlar vests.  They very nicely suggest I turn around & head the other way.  There had been a hostage situation (with shooting) & they were looking for the bad guy who had snuck out the back door.  They did find the guy & arrest him.
3) Another early morning walking the dogs I see lots of flashing lights so I wander that way to see what the excitement is.  Fire trucks, police cars, news crew.  Can't see anything happening so I continue on my way.  Only to be stopped by a large, angry officer who points out the Bomb Squad disposal truck & tells me the street is closed.  There had been a small fire & when the firemen went in the basement they found a bunch of bombs neighbor guy had been building.  According to the news reports if the bombs had gone off in the fire it would have leveled half the neighborhood.  Last I knew bomb guy was still in jail.
The foxes & coyotes that roam the neighborhood when I'm out walking aren't nearly as scary as the humans in the houses!!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!

That depends where you live. DH knows someone who made a "dummy" mailbox filled with concrete and
 placed it next to his real mailbox. Some teen broke his arm trying to smash the dummy, and successfully sued.

Good grief!  Was the teen the judge's son or something?  I can't believe a lawsuit like that would be successful.  It certainly shouldn't be!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!

Good grief!  Was the teen the judge's son or something?  I can't believe a lawsuit like that would be successful.  It certainly shouldn't be!

Booby traps are illegal in most (all?) states and that mailbox might just qualify for one.

Firecat

Booby traps are illegal in most (all?) states and that mailbox might just qualify for one.

Maybe there's a difference between setting up a dummy mailbox and just having a heavily reinforced one that is still actually a mailbox?