Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 99590 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Might be an urban legend. There was this house  at the top of a dead end road near my HS that constantly had people running the stop sign, jumping the ditch and landing in the front yard. That I know is true because I saw the cars and damage.

After one was fast/powerful enough to hit the house under their kid's window, they built a brick wall. Cars actually made it through the wall. Then they rebuilt the wall with metal posts through the brick work. That stopped the car - and the teen's parents tried sue for his injuries. Was laughed out of court.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples

That depends where you live. DH knows someone who made a "dummy" mailbox filled with concrete and
 placed it next to his real mailbox. Some teen broke his arm trying to smash the dummy, and successfully sued.

Good grief!  Was the teen the judge's son or something?  I can't believe a lawsuit like that would be successful.  It certainly shouldn't be!

Booby traps are illegal in most (all?) states and that mailbox might just qualify for one.

Maybe there's a difference between setting up a dummy mailbox and just having a heavily reinforced one that is still actually a mailbox?

Small town and there is no way that anyone would touch a lawsuit like that. It would be laughed out of court and the kids parents would be advised to apply leather to rear ends. He looked into it before he constructed it and it is not only legal but some of the police officers stole his idea and did the same to their mailboxes.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...

That depends where you live. DH knows someone who made a "dummy" mailbox filled with concrete and
 placed it next to his real mailbox. Some teen broke his arm trying to smash the dummy, and successfully sued.

Good grief!  Was the teen the judge's son or something?  I can't believe a lawsuit like that would be successful.  It certainly shouldn't be!

Booby traps are illegal in most (all?) states and that mailbox might just qualify for one.

Maybe there's a difference between setting up a dummy mailbox and just having a heavily reinforced one that is still actually a mailbox?

I think the lawyers called it "baiting" and that's what they got the homeowner on.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)

I think the lawyers called it "baiting" and that's what they got the homeowner on.

That's ridiculous.  It's not baiting, it's reinforcing.  That's like saying that having a dog in the house is baiting if the burglar doesn't know it's in there.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store

That's ridiculous.  It's not baiting, it's reinforcing.  That's like saying that having a dog in the house is baiting if the burglar doesn't know it's in there.

Well if the mailbox is full of concrete, then there is no way to put mail in it.  So I can see how it would be baiting in that instance. 

However, putting a smaller mailbox inside of a larger mailbox still allows for the post office to deliver mail while reinforcing the outside of the mailbox to prevent vandalism

taffywduck

I keep wanting to add my weird/strange yet not all that scary story, but the baby was keeping me away from my Internet time... I shall post it now that she has agreed to let my have my arms for a few minutes!

This happened before I was born, but has been retold several times by my parents. When my parents first moved into my childhood home, 30 years ago, my dad used to sit on the balcony at night to smoke. He kept the lights off since he enjoyed looking at the sky and whatnot.

After a few days, he told my mom that the back neighboor would come out naked on his 2nd story balcony, put a sheet of plywood between his and *his* neighboor's balcony and cross to go peep into the woman's bedroom window. My mom kept telling him he was stupid and that his lies were not funny so my dad insisted that she sit with him that night.

Sure enough, with my parents both sitting in the dark the pervert could not see them and out he comes around midnight, naked and my mom couldn't believe it when he went on to put the plywood in between the balcony and hop on.

Once he's halfway across (we're talking like 3 feet distance between the balcony so it wasn't a long way to go... naked in the dark), my dad opens his porch light and starts clapping very loudly and whistling and raising all kinds of noise.

The woman wakes up and opens her light and she comes out just as naked guy is retreating to his apartment... right into the arms of his now fully awake, and aware, wife.

Bars were installed at the windows, but the poor woman moved out the next year. Naked guy suffered quite the nasty divorce.

Another story, is that the back apartment (the one where victim woman was living at, but years after she moved) was robbed. The tenant came back from work and found his front door open and his tv missing. While he's on the phone with the police, he hears a flush... he lived alone so imagine his surprise when he realises that his bathroom door is locked and someone just flushed.

The police had to take the door off it's hinges while trying not to die laughing while the robber was stuck (no bathroom windows). See, he had had to go potty and it apparently couldn't wait.

Tenant found his tv and other belongings in the thief's truck parked out front.

gingerzing

We will call it strange, it was definitely dramatic. 

When DH and I lived in our apartment, it was one of 5 buildings that all shared the same parking lot.  Our 3rd floor apartment looked out over the parking lot and you could see 3 of the other 4 buildings.  (Not too far apart.)  <background - DH worked 2nd shift and was asleep for most of this>
One morning I was up early getting ready for work and look to see what the cat was looking at out the patio window.  There in the grassy patch next to the parking lot was a largish pine tree.  Sitting under said pine tree was a lady- a quite naked lady - looking into her apartment's open patio door.  She appeared to be posing, so I just walked back to finish getting ready for work.  I figured someone was getting up early to take pictures (for whatever reason).   ???
Just before I left the apartment I looked out figuring they were done with pictures since it was getting light out and closer to the time when several people left for work.  She is now "dancing" under the tree and over toward her patio.     ???
I was running late, so I decided I would call the manager when I got to work.  As I went to my car, she came around from the tree and was holding her LARGE fluffy cat.  "Would you like to pet my kitty?  Isn't she pretty?"   :o  Thanks no, I got to go. 
Got to work and called the office that there was a naked lady in our parking area.  And she was probably a bit out of it or on something. They assured me that they were calling the cops and would take care of it.  I thanked them and explained that I was late and didn't have a chance to call before I left for work.

Fast forward - I drive home and past one of the other buildings and there is the naked lady sitting on someone else's patio furniture.  I could hear them yelling at her to get off their bench.  She said it was a free country and she could sit where she wanted.   
So much for the manager taking care of it.  (My bad for not calling the cops in the first place) 

I got up to my apartment and picked up the phone as I went to the patio while dialing, 2 police cars pulled up.  (Most likely the neighbor had called before I got home)  By the end of it, there were 2 police cars (5 guys and one lady police officer) and an ambulance.  She got taken away for observation, but apparently she had not been taking her meds since her husband left 2 months before. 
I went down and chatted with one of the police after the ambulance took her away. She had asked the police officers to spank her because she was bad (er, no) and she claimed that she had fallen out of the bathroom while cleaning.  (Not possible in our floorplan AND why are you cleaning nude?)
 I also gave a statement and was asked to come to the trial as a possible witness. (Never did have to testify) 
We ended up having to have a security guard in our parking lot for about 3 months because the woman's daughter threatened most of the people in the apartment complex when they were moving the gal's stuff out of the apartment. (Apparently had hoarder issues.)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Yesterday, I woke up to quite a bit of noise and sirens in front of my house.  I went upstairs to find the front door open, my aunt and grandpa sitting on the porch with the cats on the wall.  There were 2 firetrucks, 3 police cars, a backhoe, and a couple of other random cars all sitting along the stretch in front of our house. I looked over to the left and there was a fire coming out of the front lawn of the vacant house 5 doors down.

Apparently, city workers were doing some kind of maintence on the lot and had to dig a hole.  Unfortunately for them, the gas lines had not been labeled and when they went in with the backhoe, the severed the gas line.  In severing the gas line, the metal created a spark and caused the gas to catch on fire. It took them about 6 hours to dig the street up and shut off the gas to extinguish the fire. 

This is the second gas related incident in a week in my neighborhood.

Elisabunny

Can a campground count as a neighborhood?

We spent a few days up in the Sawtooths.  Our first night, we were awakened by a drunk-sounding guy yelling his way through the camp, profanity every other word, and wanting to stab someone.  He went to the other end, then started back our way.  This time, he was pounding on camper doors, yelling (with profanities) for people to wake up, because if he was awake, everyone else was going to be too.  When he not back to the other end, Mr. Bunny snuck out of our camper.  He wasn't going to provoke anything, but since we were in an indefensible little popup, he wanted to be between us and the drunk if necessary.  After a while, cars came speeding in to arrest the guy.

The next morning, we learned the rest of the story.  It was the camp host!  Someone had tied his door closed while he was inside his camper.  He was out there with a large hunting knife. :o. Some of our neighbors had guns, which they were prepared to use if necessary.  A couple guys who had experience with this sort of thing talked him down, so that he went quietly.  Except that he needed to duck back into his trailer to put on some pants. ;D

And to add strange to scary and dramatic: the guy two spots down from us got a tire slashed.  The folks next to us had theirs door pounded on.  The folks on the other side of us found a big knife hole in the hood of their truck.  Us, he skipped completely.  There wasn't even a handprint on our (very dusty) truck.  It's like he didn't even see us.  Not that I'm complaining.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
Heard about this story from friends, so went to check it out, DH took some pics around the scene last night, said the smell of decomp was VERY strong, and he was a few feet away! Apparently some guy gassed himself in his truck, he was found 4 days later.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/08/23/parking-lot-off-walker-road-cleared-for-suspicious-smelling-vehicle/

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
This isn't physical but psychological.

Some years ago, a couple we know were looking for a new apartment in their neighborhood.  They have a rather large art collection and needed more wall space. 

A real estate agent showed them a place they liked.  The location was good and it was in their price range.   The current owner of the place was there.  he seemed a genial sort and gave them a nice tour.  Our friends were still looking but this apartment was a real possibility...until the newspapers came out about a week later.

It turned out that the owner of the apartment had been arrested for a plot to set off bombs in the NYC subway system. All the explosives he intended to use were stored in the apartment at the time oftheir visit. 

Oookay, that's one to cross off the list. 

That was the end of that apartment     

crella

The only thing we've had happen is a panic when our neighbor's escaped pot bellied pig was running around and was mistaken for a wild boar. Cue much running and screaming from everyone walking their dogs. A closer look revealed that it was in fact, the neighborhood piggy. It was the fastest anyone's run since high school!

Jones

I am happy to say that the man who stalked, beat and raped a young lady approximately a half mile from my house pled guilty yesterday and was given 25 years. Kudos to the neighbor who looked out his window at the right time and called the police; the perp was caught in the act by the very fast response of law enforcement.

Unfortunately, the saga isn't over, as he now has to stand trial for what he did on bail: killed a man, stole his car and fled the state. Oh wait...allegedly, he did all this. Can't say he did it until the trial determines that he did.

MrTango

We spent a few days up in the Sawtooths.  Our first night, we were awakened by a drunk-sounding guy yelling his way through the camp, profanity every other word, and wanting to stab someone.  He went to the other end, then started back our way.  This time, he was pounding on camper doors, yelling (with profanities) for people to wake up, because if he was awake, everyone else was going to be too.  When he not back to the other end, Mr. Bunny snuck out of our camper.  He wasn't going to provoke anything, but since we were in an indefensible little popup, he wanted to be between us and the drunk if necessary.  After a while, cars came speeding in to arrest the guy.

He's lucky he didn't get shot.  Someone who does that gets one verbal warning (unless someone's in imminent danger), but after that, it's his own life he's throwing away.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #614 on: September 20, 2013, 06:44:35 PM »
This one popped into my head the other day. I don't think I've shared it here because I don't think I've thought of it in years. About a decade ago, when DH (then just DF) had just moved in with me, someone started pounding on our door at about 3 AM. These days I would immediately call 911, but back then I sent DH down to answer the door.  ::) He came back and said it was two teenagers saying something about the skateboard ramp in front of the house.

A little background: I had moved into a house my parents owned that my grandmother had lived in for decades. She wanted to move after my grandfather died, and since my parents' business office was attached to the house they wanted someone there full time. When my grandma was living there she allowed my two miscreant cousins to stay with her whenever--I once found drugs that the older one had apparently dropped. They were not good people. Anyway, the skateboard ramp had been there when we moved in. I never even knew it was a skateboard ramp; to me it was just "that plywood thing in front of the house."

So I went downstairs and boy was I angry at being woke up in the middle of the night for something stupid like a crappy skateboard ramp. It was a boy and a girl, and the boy started out with an attitude but dropped it after a few very choice words from me. I told him in no uncertain terms that it had been here when we moved in, I didn't know anything about it, but if it was his to take it for Pete's sake, and never ever to wake someone up in the middle of the night for something this stupid again. He looked a little sheepish and they dragged the ramp off into the night. Afterward I realized how stupid it was of us to answer the door at 3 AM.

In that same house, I saw one of the neighbors and his wife screaming at each other. The husband threatened to kill his wife and hit her, so I called the police. I later heard that when the police came the neighbors' dog charged the officer and the neighbor man wouldn't call it back, so it was shot.