Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 99894 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
This isn't scary but it's both dramatic and strange.

For some reason, our neighborhood is a magnet for photo shoots.  Fashion spreads, advertisements, TV shows and movies commonly bring in the big trucks and generators.  We're used to this but something interesting is happening now.

The production is 'Brooklyn Taxi'.  We found out today that it's a French sitcom that has already been sold to be shown in Russia, Italy and Japan. 

When did Brooklyn become a world-wide brand name?

Peppergirl

It didn't happen where I lived, but where I worked.  My dad owned a laundromat from the early '80s to early '90s.  I was in high school in the mid 80's and worked there part time.

I was working one Saturday afternoon and heard a commotion across the street, where there was a row of townhouses.  The screaming got worse, and the guy next door at the pizza place came over to say he'd called the police.

Next thing we know, the male in the house had chased out the female into the yard, and proceeded to stab her to death as their kids screamed from the windows.

Just then, the police roared up.  They managed to get the guy off of her and into the police car, but it was too late for her.  Horrifying.  She was a customer, too..so I knew her a little. 

I called my dad and told him he had to come relieve me.  He asked why and I told him.  I think he thought I was exaggerating or mistaken until he got there.

This happened in like 1986 or 1987 (I was 16-ish) and I can still visualize it as clearly as as it happened yesterday.

I never did find out what happened to the kids. :(

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
::Hands Peppergirl a trophy::

I'm pretty sure that wins...

Peppergirl

Heck of a thing to win a trophy for, but I'll take it.

Pretty sure nowadays they'd have whisked me off to counseling.  Definitely wasn't a societal norm for this kind of thing back then.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #619 on: November 12, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »
Well, this just happened.

I'm in my living room, talking via phone with M (we talk on M's breaks, makes the day go faster for us both), and I'm looking through the blinds on my front door.  Why?  Don't know, but I see three guys walking down the street.  Well, turns out one guy isn't with the other two, because I saw one of the two guys push the first guy to the ground, while the second of the two grabs something from him (wallet?  Phone?  Can't tell) and they both take off running.  The first guy gets up and starts shouting about the two guys that just robbed him.

This is the part that sucks: I'm lousy with faces.  There isn't a chance in eHell I could identify two guys I never met who I saw for two seconds, one in profile and one partially from behind.  But yeesh, was that a bizarre thing to witness happening on the sidewalk in front of my house.

And this is the part where I mention, AGAIN, that we need to get the @&$! out of this city.

cwm

Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #620 on: November 12, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »
Mentioned this in the Small Hugs thread, but I had forgotten about this one.

Yesterday on the news, I saw something about the fire at the apartment at the intersection of X and Y streets. Which is right where my apartment is. I was at mom's house, and stood, rooted to the spot praying that it wasn't my building.

It wasn't, but it was the small independent apartment complex just behind me. One man's in the hospital, 2nd and 3rd degree burns over 30% of his body. Luckily he was the only person hurt in the entire ordeal. He was brought downstairs by a man who was there to meet his brother. The brother was going to start moving his fiancee into his apartment that afternoon, they're getting married this weekend. There's now nearly 20 people newly homeless, most of whom have no local families or money for hotel rooms. One family has three small children with another one on the way.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #621 on: November 12, 2013, 06:31:31 PM »
Not in a neighborhood, per se, but on the highway from the town where I went to college to where I live now.  DH and I are heading back to our apartment the day after we got married and the highway is completely closed down on both sides due to a car accident.  Cars stacking up, police lights everywhere, the whole nine yards.  We were trying to figure out why the highway was completely closed when we hear a helicopter coming our way.  It lands and we realize it's a LifeFlight helicopter coming for one of the people who was in the accident.  After it takes off, part of the highway reopens and we're able to continue.  Talk about dramatic though - we'd gotten married the day before and then we were witnessing this!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #622 on: November 13, 2013, 12:21:08 PM »
This happened 2 weeks ago.  On my way into work, I had to drive through a spot where a recent car accident happened.  One car was up on the front lawn of a school, the front end completely smashed in (and it was a Cadillac, which are pretty solidly built).  The other car was in the middle of a 4 lawn road, but only appeared to have one of their tail lights cracked.

I could not figure out what happened, so later I googled it, and found that about 15 minutes before I drove through there, a woman was involved in a minor fender bender about a mile away.  When the police showed up, she took off.  A police chase ensued, with the woman going over 80 miles an hour (speed limit is 35).  She was crashing into cars, weaving in and out of traffic.  The police finally stopped her when she nearly crashed through a construction zone (she didn't injure anyone, thank the lord).  She leaped out of her car and physically attacked the police officers.  They also found 2 small children in the car (1 year old and a 2 year old), and the 2 year old was unbelted and bruised from being thrown around inside.  The had video of her in the back of the police car, screaming, kicking at the windows, and beating her head against the inside.

A judge placed a huge bond on her, and they are moving for psych evaluations because her behavior was so bizarre.

I am so grateful that it happened before I went through that area because that road is so twisty, you can't see anything until you are on top of it.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Minmom3

« Reply #623 on: November 13, 2013, 09:05:26 PM »
I've been stuck behind a fully stopped freeway that was cleared for a life flight!   Amazing.  Everybody turned off their cars, because we obviously weren't going anywhere fast, and we could see the half dozen large fire engines and ambulances up ahead.  We were on a 6 lane freeway, packed side to side, bumper to bumper, all waiting and talking and wondering and - whap, whap, whap - in flies the helicopter.  It landed on the freeway, nearly a quarter mile in front of us, but the accident vehicles were actually well off the road, having busted through the chain link fence and ended up yards and yards into the ice plant. 

We also, at that same time, lived rurally, and shared a driveway with a Grange Hall that had a huge parking lot, and was another location for ambulances to bring people to be flown in a life flight chopper.  Those choppers have red and white strips on the tops of their big horizontal blades!  They flew in often enough that the goats got over being scared of the noise and wind.  They did training flights out of there too, to add to the number of times we saw them.  One time I had to fast talk my way past the fire engine blocking my driveway, explaining that I lived at the end of the driveway beyond the Grange, and I HAD to PEE, please.....

I think the strangest thing that happened during our time at that house was the  time a commercial truck failed in its attempt to cross the highway down the hill from us, and it fell over on its side in the center median with the most tremendous BANG.  Shook our whole house, and it took hours for them to reroute north and south bound traffic, unload the not small truck, and then winch the truck back to vertical and set it on its wheels.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

raininshadows

« Reply #624 on: November 13, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »
This one happened while we were renting a house.

One morning, as she's making breakfast, my mother notices movement in a section of the backyard with a low fence separating it from the rest of the backyard. There's a person there. He looks around a bit and makes a beeline for another side of the backyard, bordering another house. She calls the landlord, whose first question is "have you called the police?"; upon being told that she has not, he does so. As it turns out, they're already in the area, because they're looking for the guy! When they discover that Mom can't confirm he didn't head into the house (the layout blocked her view of part of the area he moved into), they tell us to clear out of the house while they search it. We're waiting outside when we hear shouting and gunshots from down the street. Mom moves us behind a car until everything seems to have calmed down. She ends up getting brought over to help ID the guy, because she actually did get a decent look at him (none of us kids ever saw him, we weren't looking the right way the first time and didn't get brought over the second). I never did find out why he was on the run from the police, though.

After moving to where we currently live, we also had a house across the street catch on fire. The interesting bit was that the street was an expressway (which our house backs onto), so there was a sound wall. I couldn't tell whether the thing-clearly-on-fire-and-producing-much-smoke was a house or one of the two gas stations right there. It also attracted many fire engines. That was actually how I noticed it in the first place: heard sirens, looked up, saw massive amounts of black smoke, screamed. Indeed, we had probably ten fire engines out there trying to keep it from spreading (Mom and I went to go look, to confirm that whatever was on fire wasn't a gas station).

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #625 on: November 14, 2013, 12:39:27 PM »
Raccoons mating!

A lemonade stand!

Yup, that is how tame my subdivision is.
I have pet mice!

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #626 on: November 14, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »
The fire/gas station reminded me of one when I was in college.  I was at work when we were told to evacuate the book store I worked at.  A guy went off the deep end, went to the gas station next door to us, told the gas station attendant that he had better leave, doused himself with gas and was trying to light himself on fire. The attendant had the sense to hit the gas cut off when they saw what was going on and called the police.  Everyone was evacuated from the area for safety. Sadly, the man succeeded with his plan but the attendants actions prevented the station from blowing up and injuring others.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #627 on: November 14, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »
My family has lived in the same complex for two years. We have noticed a trend of fairly young people that move in to a unit, drive very nice ($50K and up) cars and don't seem to leave home much. They hang around outside a lot, all hours of the day.

About a month or so after moving in, we usually notice police activity at that unit.

Narcotics had a major bust today when I came home from work. Three more drug dealers off the streets.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #628 on: November 14, 2013, 10:06:06 PM »
I've been stuck behind a fully stopped freeway that was cleared for a life flight! 

I was involved in the life flight once, even if peripherally.

Me, my exGF, another friend and a bunch of acquainted riders did a group motorcycle ride one weekend, some years back.  At one stage, out on a country road, we came across a crash scene - a rider down, not moving, unconscious and barely breathing, a heap of cars stopped, nobody doing anything.

Ex and I were both nurses, and we worked medical rescue at motorcycle race events for about 5 years too, and had done some relevant accredited courses, so we sort of hopped in without even thinking about it and took control.  We had someone call the emergency number, someone cleared the road, a couple of the guys did 'safety duty' warning oncoming travellers, somebody else took off to find the group the crashed rider was from. 

We took control of the rider until the professionals arrived - and longer...  the local ambulance driver turned up alone, his partner was off on a different call.  The police beat him by about 30 minutes - and kept asking this barely conscious (and certainly not lucid) man if he'd been drinking or speeding.  Two hours after the first 000 call, the helicopter turned up.  By this stage the rider was nearly lucid, he had some obvious fractures that I was supporting, but he was fairly stable, although in a world of pain.  He wouldn't let me out of his sight, kept grabbing my hand to hold, wouldn't let anyone else near him but was happy to sit with me without any drama. 

Enter the life flight crew - 2 paramedics, a doctor and the pilot.  And all heck broke loose!  He didn't want a neck brace, he didn't want an IV, he didn't want to go on the stretcher...  the professionals had less control over him than I did with nothing but my bare hands.  He was walking around, fighting them off.  The professionals didn't want our help, so we had to leave him with them.  Then the police started in with the questions.  No we didn't know him.  No we don't know what happened.  Yes there were car drivers around that might have seen what happened, but they'd all left when we arrived.  Another hour of this.

By the time they got the poor bloke sorted and strapped in to the chopper, we'd been sitting on the side of the road for over 3 hours.  Over an hour of that, the road was closed because of the helicopter.  Ironically, if we'd had a car with us we could have gotten him to hospital quicker - it's only 45 minutes by road from where we were.

I never did find out what happened to the rider, but the guys we were with were so impressed by our management of the crash that they vowed to go and do some first-aid courses in case it ever happened again.  They all admitted to being terrified because they didn't know what to do.  Luckily they all used their heads at the scene, and did what was asked without question.  Brizbike dudes ROCK!   8)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #629 on: November 15, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »
DH and I are trained wilderness medics. We are the people that help until the first responders arrive.

We also witnessed a very bad motorcycle crash, but two nurses and a doctor were already working when we could stop and go over there.