Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 94499 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #630 on: November 15, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »
DH and I are trained wilderness medics. We are the people that help until the first responders arrive.

We also witnessed a very bad motorcycle crash, but two nurses and a doctor were already working when we could stop and go over there.

unnalee

Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #631 on: November 15, 2013, 10:04:46 AM »
When my sister and I were a junior and senior in high school, we both worked on the summer maintenance crew at a local university.  We had to be there at an ungodly hour in the morning.  One morning, as we came around a long curve in the road just before town (we lived 25 minutes away), we were met with the sight of an overturned pickup truck and a dark-haired man with blood streaming down his face climbing out one of the windows.  As we pulled over to the shoulder, he staggered a few steps, reached his hands out to us, and then collapsed face-first into the dirt.

This accident had just happened, the wheels on the truck were still spinning.  As we sat there stunned, another car came from the opposite direction, pulled up next to the guy and went over to him.  This was looooong before cell phones were common, and since we knew there wasn't much we could do for the guy ourselves, I grabbed a blanket out of the backseat, ran over to find out his condition and then yelled info to my sister as she ran to the only house nearby to call the police/ambulance. 

She pounded on the door and finally this grumpy old man let her in, after grumbling that she had disturbed his show.  This was before our area had 911 coverage, so she had to wait while he found a phone book since we didn't know the emergency numbers for this town.  Police were notified and on their way.

Since we were first on the scene, we had to wait to talk to the police and ended up being very late for work.  When we finally showed up, we were still so shaken up and running a bit on adrenalin, that our boss knew we weren't just making up an excuse.

We found out later the guy in the accident was a salesman for an auto parts store who had been driving all night and had fallen asleep at the wheel.  When his truck swerved off the road, his front tire had gotten caught in a culvert and flipped the truck over.  The culvert had been ripped halfway out of the ground and was still wrapped around his tire.  I can only imagine how fast he must have been going around that curve.  He was ultimately OK, thankfully.  We started carrying a phone book in our car after that.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #632 on: November 15, 2013, 10:09:40 AM »
When at my in-laws house, a fairly rural area with large lots and widely spaced houses on a curved road around a lake, we were outside and heard a terrific crash, with thuds and screaming. We ran down to the road and found an upside down Ford Bronco, with four teenage boys who had been joyriding. Most were just banged up, but one was bleeding from his ears and nose. We called 911. The boys called their parents. The parents of the boy that was hurt most refused treatment for him.  ::)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #633 on: November 15, 2013, 10:39:43 AM »
I've just remembered this one, with the crash stories.

A neighbour and good friend of my mother's was dying of cancer, living at home.  It was New Year's Eve - more like early New Year's Day - and a guy, drunk, came screaming down the road, somehow got airborne and took out the telephone pole on this neighbour's front lawn.

New Year's Day dawns and here this poor lady has no phone.  But her mom lived across the phone and the portable would work in friend's house.  Then we find out her husband has gone fishing!  (NYD is the start of ice fishing season; he always went out NYD.)  We were all ready to start badmouthing husband for going fishing with all this going on.  Friend tells everyone - I told him to go.  He was driving me nuts!

The drunk guy was charged - he did try to flee the scene but was too badly hurt.  He was an old high school friend of my brother's.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #634 on: November 18, 2013, 05:27:10 AM »
We just had a magnitude 4 earthquake this moring while I was at work.

My first thought was "Uh oh, the technies next door dropped something heavy on the floor. No, wait, it still going on and getting louder, is the roof caving in?... Uh, still going on and still getting louder...Did something really big just blow up?" Cue entire office rushing outside and checking for smoke stacks or something.

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #635 on: November 18, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »
Raccoons mating!

Actually, the most dramatic, scary thing I've ever heard at my apartment is raccoons screaming at each other around the recycling bin.

They sound less like you'd imagine a raccoon would, and more like a demon on a mission to collect souls by ripping them out of human bodies at one swipe. At least, that's the impression when you wakened from a dead sleep by "ARRGHSHISSSSSSSSSHRIEK!!!!!!!!!" directly under your bedroom window.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #636 on: November 18, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »
Foxes are the same, they make a frightening racket.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #637 on: November 18, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
And baby rabbits who have been caught by the cat make the most appalling scream. :(  It was lucky for Bunny that Sootso didn't know what to do with it after catching it.  He was just toting it around by the scruff of the neck like a kitten, so I took it away from him and put it down in the mess of honeysuckle where the local cottontails lived.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #638 on: November 18, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »
Last September, camping in New Mexico.

The elk were in prime mating season and the bugling went on all hours of the night. Not to mention the deer that attempted to run campers over when heading to the facilities in the dark. The bears that liked to hang out in the trees near the camp store. The chipmunks and squirrels that stole anything they could find if it smelled good or was shiny.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #639 on: November 18, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
Apparently pumas can do an excellent imitation of a woman screaming in terror, to the point that law enforcement is sometimes called out.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Minmom3

« Reply #640 on: November 19, 2013, 12:36:10 AM »
The raccoons screaming are horrendous, I agree completely.  But I can tolerate that, although I don't like it.  What scares me, though, is when the raccoon screaming is interspersed with dog barking and screaming.  Then I get upset because somebody let their pet out and that pet is getting the worst of the argument.  We live where we have a lot of wild life - CRIVINS! won't people keep their pets in at night when the wild things are out and about???   >:(   :'(
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

cwm

« Reply #641 on: November 19, 2013, 11:02:50 AM »
Apparently pumas can do an excellent imitation of a woman screaming in terror, to the point that law enforcement is sometimes called out.

I can confirm this. Also, whited below because of violent animals.

Sis and I were visiting a friend one spring in an extremely rural area. It was a drive layover on our way to Colorado. We took a walk in the back field, and Sis heard a woman screaming, then a child screaming. Sis was freaking out, saying we should call someone, and the guy who lived there confirmed that it was just a puma killing a calf nearby. Sounded just like a child. Sis practically bolted to the house and wouldn't come out again, so guy and I sat on the porch to look at the stars.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #642 on: November 19, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
The raccoons screaming are horrendous, I agree completely.  But I can tolerate that, although I don't like it.  What scares me, though, is when the raccoon screaming is interspersed with dog barking and screaming.  Then I get upset because somebody let their pet out and that pet is getting the worst of the argument.  We live where we have a lot of wild life - CRIVINS! won't people keep their pets in at night when the wild things are out and about???    >:(   :'(
My brother lives in a subdivision near open space/park.  He had a cat which was indoor/outdoor because Bro refuses to have a litter box.  The cat disappeared one night and never returned.  Bro said a coyote probably got him.  Then he got another cat, a lovely Ragdoll.  Bro still insists that the cat go to the potty outside, even though he can hear coyotes yipping a block away.  I fear it's just a matter of time before they catch this cat.

Just one more reason why I don't speak to my brother anymore. :-X

Anyone else ever heard peacocks call?  They sound just like human screams.  There are peafowl at the ranch where we board our mare, Misty.  I freaked out the first time I heard them calling.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #643 on: November 19, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »
Oh, peacocks are LOUD!  The zoo near my parents have some and holy Hannah they make a good racket.  They're beautiful to look at but I could never have them for all the noise.

Speaking of noise...I live on the north side of Chicago.  On Sunday, we got part of the big storms that moved through the area but we were kind of on the edge of the front, so we got a some wind, rain and thunder but nothing more than any other storm we'd get.  But we heard a noise that sounded a lot like the planes that come over the house on the way to the airport but there was no Doppler effect...it was just a steady, continuous roar.

DH opened the front door and it was either the roar of the wind from the main part of the storm downtown and parts south or the lake.  Either way, it sent the hair on the back of my neck straight up.  It was seriously creepy.

And I've heard a raccoon scream too.  I thought someone was being killed until I went to investigate.   :o

Browyn

« Reply #644 on: November 19, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »
Growing up my next door neighbors had horses and a barn cat to keep the mice away from the hay.  That cat sounded just like a baby crying when she got going.  She was fine, as far as we can tell just bored.