Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 94164 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #645 on: November 19, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »
Growing up my next door neighbors had horses and a barn cat to keep the mice away from the hay.  That cat sounded just like a baby crying when she got going.  She was fine, as far as we can tell just bored.
A cat in heat will often sound like a baby crying, especially if it has Siamese blood. My Siamese in full cry once woke the woman across the street, who thought that her baby was crying.  I guess I'm lucky she didn't call the cops and report an abandoned infant.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Arila

Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #646 on: November 19, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
Fun thread!
When I was really young, I slept through the following event:
Man bangs on back door, and wakes the parents, who eventually let him in. They give him a glass of water, and let him use the phone to call a cab. Somehow the police know that he's there (not sure if the parents called or they knew where he was, but he was on the run from them), but they set up with the cabbie to pause extra long at the stop sign at the end of the street. Guy leaves our house when the cab comes, and is apprehended 3 houses down. The next morning, I was getting underfoot watching the crime scene tech take fingerprints in the kitchen.

cwm

« Reply #647 on: November 19, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »
Oh, I suppose I missed one in my previous posts. It was my backyard, and yet somehow I forgot.

We had a very large tree in the backyard. Probably diameter of four or five feet. There was a huge storm that blew through one night. Somehow everyone in my family slept through it, including me. (This was very rare, I was and still am terrified of thunderstorms, and they tend to wake me up fairly quickly.) The tree was blown over from our backyard, across the neighbor's backyard and side yard, and into the street across the neighbor's yard. Neighbor is on the corner lot, luckily. Neighbor's house had minimal damage on the roof of the garage, other than that there was no actual damage to the outside of her house. But the tree had fallen across the power lines and the phone lines.

Neighbor had woken up in the middle of the night to her phone being ripped across the wall as the main line was pulled out. She decided to go back to sleep once she knew the house was okay, and showed up at our house in the morning with her coffee mug and sugar asking for a cup of coffee, since our tree had knocked out her power. We were close enough that we all got a laugh out of it, but my dad had to take out his chainsaw to remove the tree from the road, as it turns out that the three other roads leading to our block were also covered with debris, and it had to be cleared before any power trucks could come through. And the city was dealing with hundreds of other upended trees on more major thoroughfares, they couldn't get to it until the next few days.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #648 on: November 19, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »
Apparently pumas can do an excellent imitation of a woman screaming in terror, to the point that law enforcement is sometimes called out.

I don't know what it was that I heard often living in Northern Virginia, but there was some critter making noise many nights that for all the world sounded like it should have been in a horror movie.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

magicdomino

« Reply #649 on: November 19, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »
Apparently pumas can do an excellent imitation of a woman screaming in terror, to the point that law enforcement is sometimes called out.

I don't know what it was that I heard often living in Northern Virginia, but there was some critter making noise many nights that for all the world sounded like it should have been in a horror movie.

I'd bet either raccoons or foxes.  While I'm not quite sure exactly what noises are raccoons, foxes have an amazing range of sounds.

One night, something was making this horrible, gut-wrenching noise like some poor creature was being tortured.  The next day, the neighbor told me that her daughter had woken her up begging, "Mommy, make it stop."  It didn't quite sound like a fox, so I'm guessing it was a raccoon. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #650 on: November 19, 2013, 06:04:27 PM »
We have lynx here in Ontario.  They are a small wild cat, a little bigger than a bob cat, I think, but distinguished by very fluffy ear tufts.  They can scream.  I grew up in a rural area on 5 acres.  My bedroom faced the bush.  I was wakened more than one night by the scream of a lynx.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

daen

« Reply #651 on: November 19, 2013, 08:16:37 PM »
We have lynx here in Ontario.  They are a small wild cat, a little bigger than a bob cat, I think, but distinguished by very fluffy ear tufts.  They can scream.  I grew up in a rural area on 5 acres.  My bedroom faced the bush.  I was wakened more than one night by the scream of a lynx.

I always thought that lynx and bobcat were the same thing.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #652 on: November 19, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »
I don't think so.  I'll pull out my mammal book and have a look.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #653 on: November 19, 2013, 08:24:46 PM »
The lynx latin name is 'lynx canadensis'.  The bobcat's latin name is 'lynx rufus'.  So they are related but not the same species.

The lynx is slightly larger and has a more northern range, right up past the arctic circle.  The bobcat range only goes slightly north of the 49th parallel, according to the book.  The lynx has bigger ear tufts, is lighter in colour and the entire tail tip is black.  The bobcat has spots on its legs and belly and the tip of the tail is only black on the top, according to the pictures.

I learned something today!   ;D
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #654 on: November 23, 2013, 07:57:28 AM »
Growing up my next door neighbors had horses and a barn cat to keep the mice away from the hay.  That cat sounded just like a baby crying when she got going.  She was fine, as far as we can tell just bored.
A cat in heat will often sound like a baby crying, especially if it has Siamese blood. My Siamese in full cry once woke the woman across the street, who thought that her baby was crying.  I guess I'm lucky she didn't call the cops and report an abandoned infant.

My MALE half Siamese cat does this and it is LOUD. He drags around various stuffed animals and tries to get amorous with them.  It is both annoying and hysterical.  FTR, he's been neutered since he was about 4 months old, but he still tries.  He occasionally tries the female cats, but they are wise to his antics.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

123sandy

« Reply #655 on: November 23, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »
Not scary but kind of strange...we once saw a goat on a trampoline. Oh, how I wish we'd had a camera with us that day!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #656 on: November 23, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »
Not scary but kind of strange...we once saw a goat on a trampoline. Oh, how I wish we'd had a camera with us that day!

some one somewhere else had a camera, and set it to music!  (two goats on a trampoline)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVysHawQyL8

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

123sandy

« Reply #657 on: November 23, 2013, 10:35:52 AM »

some one somewhere else had a camera, and set it to music!  (two goats on a trampoline)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVysHawQyL8

Lol! Thank you!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #658 on: November 24, 2013, 02:08:04 PM »
A family in my town had a donkey.  I think it thought it was a dog.  It was often found in weird positions.

I almost drove off the road the day I drove by and the donkey was in the front yard.  Lying on its back with all 4 legs up in the air.
Ontario

Cherry91

« Reply #659 on: November 24, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »
Not sure if this fits entirely, but here I go.

A few weeks back, my parents and I were about to take a trip. My mother had a doctor's appointment in the morning, so we were waiting for her to return so we could leave.

Suddenly my mother rushes in, calling loudly and frantically to my father and demanding to know where the cat was. My father, as perplexed as I was, replied that he was asleep on the window ledge in the spare bedroom. My mother instantly looked very relieved, although very pale.

Turns out that a cat had been hit by a car right in front of our house, and from what she could see, it looked a lot like our beloved kitty Cocoa. I had to make a run to the shops a while later, and... well, it wasn't pretty at all, and I could see why she'd mistaken it for our boy. We lost our other cat to old age about two years ago, and that was hard enough. My mother was nearly crying when she came into the house, and she was shaking when she hugged me in relief that it wasn't Cocoa.

We still don't know who the poor cat belonged to. If posters get put up, we're going to have to have a very distressing conversation with the owners...