Author Topic: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood  (Read 97095 times)

cwm

Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #690 on: December 04, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
Another major fire, along the road from mom's to boyfriend's. Started around noon, traffic was still backed up by 5 when I drove by. Another man in the hospital from it. Another 25 people out of their homes. The local Red Cross is doing a brisk business this fall in dealing with apartment fires, it seems.

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
Re: The strangest, scariest, most dramatic thing that you've seen in your n'hood
« Reply #691 on: December 04, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
Not particularly scary but strange.  My husband saw a medium sized kangaroo hopping up our street this morning as he was leaving the house.  Yes, we have bush near us but not that close (about half a km) and it would have had to go through quite heavy morning traffic.  Now the myth that Australians have kangaroos hopping down their streets in the suburbs isn't such a myth after all.  No, he didn't get photos.

Not had any roo sightings in my suburb so much so I understand the sense of surprise, although I often see kangaroos around other Canberra suburbs. Dropping an interstate friend back at her hotel in Tuggeranong recently, there were roos nibbling on the grass out the front.

Earlier this year, I was startled by knocking on the glass sliding doors that lead out to the back courtyard. Figured it might be one of the neighbours wanting a quick word. I was on the right track. It was a new neighbour wanting to introduce itself- a fairly hefty blue-tongued lizard butting its head against the glass.

So relieved it wasn't a snake.

When I lived in SA we had roos in our suburb sometimes, and more than once I had to shoo a koala off the road (one of the big males sat and hissed at me!).

Now I live in the Northern Territory and you only need to worry about cane toads on the roads (we aim for them!), green tree frogs in your toilet (yes really!), geckos every where and the biggest dingdangity bugs I have ever seen. Oh, and the crocodiles, sharks, snakes, spiders and stinging jellyfish. We even had a dingo trot down the road in my suburban neighborhood.

I love the NT, such an interesting pace to live!

Psychopoesie

« Reply #692 on: December 04, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
I grew up in the NT (way before the cane toads made it that far).

Miss the green tree frogs and the geckos. The others, not so much. :)

Such a relief to only worry about sharks when I go swimming.

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #693 on: December 04, 2013, 11:29:06 PM »
I got told when I moved here that if it doesn't have taps or tiles, don't swim in it. If it does have taps or tiles, check it for crocs...

Seems like safe advice.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #694 on: December 05, 2013, 02:40:08 AM »
I got told when I moved here that if it doesn't have taps or tiles, don't swim in it. If it does have taps or tiles, check it for crocs...

Seems like safe advice.

It took me a minute to understand that and then I got it

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #695 on: December 05, 2013, 07:14:17 AM »

Seems like safe advice.

Sub gators for crocs in that sentence and it applies to Florida.   ;)

I've have gotten into a lot of arguments telling people not to let their kids swim here and there.  All of them had moved here from other states and thought I was lying/exaggerating about the gators.  Gators are only in zoos you know...yeah not so much here and there are some that top 12 or more feet.  One lady didn't believe me until she went to take a morning swim and had a 10' plus gator lounging in her pool.

Actually I run into similar issues telling people not to let their cats and small dogs out alone because of the Red Tail Hawks, Golden eagles, and Osprey.  We've had more than a few neighborhood pets that became bird snacks.  There are absolutely no stray cats anymore around my neighborhood and the squirrel populations is way, way down as well.  There's not a darn thing to do about the birds as two of them are endangered species and I think all are covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Psychopoesie

« Reply #696 on: December 05, 2013, 07:43:21 AM »

Seems like safe advice.

Love it.  :)

GreenHall

« Reply #697 on: December 05, 2013, 08:35:28 AM »

Seems like safe advice.

Sub gators for crocs in that sentence and it applies to Florida.   ;)

I've have gotten into a lot of arguments telling people not to let their kids swim here and there.  All of them had moved here from other states and thought I was lying/exaggerating about the gators.  Gators are only in zoos you know...yeah not so much here and there are some that top 12 or more feet.  One lady didn't believe me until she went to take a morning swim and had a 10' plus gator lounging in her pool.

Actually I run into similar issues telling people not to let their cats and small dogs out alone because of the Red Tail Hawks, Golden eagles, and Osprey.  We've had more than a few neighborhood pets that became bird snacks.  There are absolutely no stray cats anymore around my neighborhood and the squirrel populations is way, way down as well.  There's not a darn thing to do about the birds as two of them are endangered species and I think all are covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
My mother would love to borrow them for the local squirrel population - any idea how to make a inviting nesting area (like bluebird boxes, but bigger)?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #698 on: December 05, 2013, 08:39:21 AM »
Seconded!  My neighbourhood could do with a few boatload less squirrels.  And don't get me started on the roaming cats, against city bylaw.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #699 on: December 05, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »

My mother would love to borrow them for the local squirrel population - any idea how to make a inviting nesting area (like bluebird boxes, but bigger)?

Here are some starting instructions: http://theraptortrust.org/the-birds/nest-boxes/ .

Ospreys like a platform, about the height of a telephone pole, which might be a little difficult to get a permit for, but they seem to be quite happy to be around people as long as they're well elevated.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hillia

« Reply #700 on: December 05, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »
I used to live in Phoenix, where the retired folks living around the golf courses would sometimes demand that the parks and wildlife rangers come in and kill all the coyotes that were taking their pets.  They refused to believe that removing that population of 'yotes would just leave space for a new group to move in, and their best bet was to keep pets indoors or leashed, and to stop leaving pet food outside.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #701 on: December 05, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
We have major issues with coyotes picking off pets in their own yards. Also, the people who feed alligators which turn into nuisance alligators when they eat the pets in the neighborhood. It is illegal to feed wildlife here without a permit, but that doesn't stop them.

You can build a barn owl box, I have seen instructions online. They will keep your rodent population down and are beautiful birds.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #702 on: December 05, 2013, 10:35:17 AM »
I am not sure if people are being tongue in cheek about building boxes for raptors but if you are thinking about it please also consider what happens after your "Nuisance" animals are gone but the animals that ate them are still here and hungry. And just because we think they are a pest doesn't mean they don't have a vital role to play in the eco-system. I don't think you need to look far to find examples of places that had worse problems after they imported some animal/plant to 'help' with the local species.

MummySweet

« Reply #703 on: December 05, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
I've been finding coyote scat on  the driveway for a few weeks.  Coyotes are pretty common in the area and my neighbors have reported seeing them on a regular basis, but I had never actually seen one.  (Our neighborhood is at the foot of a heavily-wooded mountain...a really short mountain!  ::) )

This morning I came out of the house and rounded the van to see a coyote laying in my drive way.  He didn't seem at all bothered. 
I looked at him, he looked at me, and then he rolled on to his back and presented his tummy like he wanted a rub!   Hmmm...I don't think so buddy. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #704 on: December 05, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
I am not sure if people are being tongue in cheek about building boxes for raptors but if you are thinking about it please also consider what happens after your "Nuisance" animals are gone but the animals that ate them are still here and hungry. And just because we think they are a pest doesn't mean they don't have a vital role to play in the eco-system. I don't think you need to look far to find examples of places that had worse problems after they imported some animal/plant to 'help' with the local species.

Considering that raptors are suffering from habitat loss, creating a nesting box is not going to do anything except fight against the tide a bit. It's not like suggesting that one import predators from other continents, just find a way to encourage the local population to consider your yard as a viable real estate option. It's really beneficial to the ecosystem, because raptors have had a hard time of it, the past 200 years or so. There really should be more of them around than there are in order to keep the rodentia et al. in balance.

One raptor pair is not going to cause squirrel extinction, even in a local area, and due to territoriality, you're not going to get more than one pair (plus young) at a time.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."